Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 4:18:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy I worked with did, even got in the magazine. I'd like to do one when my car is done.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few buddies that have done it several times.  They are gear heads, and they act like they have a great time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Traveling in a group with hot rods can be a pain in the ass.  Someone will break down.  See what the contingency plan is for that.

I have traveled in groups, but not on the power tour.  People will be too slow, too fast, or will want to stop somewhere, or not stop somewhere.  If you simply set the cruise control at the speed limit, you will walk away from everyone behind the guy with poor throttle/speed control skills and the entire group will then blame the leader.  

See how the travel scheme is laid out.  As in:  do you just get a map and go?

One group event I went to, they let a group of early birds go on the shop tour early.  That group fucked it up for the rest of the attendees that showed up on time.

I prefer to travel alone, or with just one other trusted friend.  As soon as a third gets involved, your chances for drama seem to increase drastically.

One guy may eventually grab the diesel pump and fill his freshly built hot rod full of diesel and make it all the way to the driveway before a stall and expensive flatbed ride.  Nobody will have a clue what happened until they drain the tank at the shop. (not me, but it was a long day)

I have been going to rod runs for over 30 years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done half of one. Getting into the event at the end of the day has long long traffic jams. The variety of cars, trucks, rat rods and anything you can imagine is mind boggling.  I personally enjoyed the daily routes, people would line the streets in towns, out of towns, overpasses, everywhere, its one huge parade.  Imagine pulling into a small town fuel stop 7-11 and its covered with cars. Parked at the pumps will be a Hellcat, a blown 57 chevy, a big block camaro, a couple of rat rods, a Boss Mustang, its cool, not a Prius insight.

The hotels at night are just as overwhelming with cars, Shelby's, Fairlanes, Chargers, ACR Viper literally anything. I saw several full on custom build cars that became auction and magazine feature cars, impeccable craftsmanship, whatever you can and can not imagine.

There are several types of tour attendees, a lot of people ditch the planned route and get to the event as quickly as possible, typically they are doing the entire run and are trying to win prizes. People like me who drove the planned route and the day trippers, whom I feel caused the majority of the traffic problems.

My carbureted 337 stroker with a 4 speed averaged 26 mpg which surprised me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at one of the earlier ones, it was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Drag Week 2017 here, registered for 2019 but cancelled of course.  Attended 2 Power Tour stops over the years but never ran. Great cars and good people.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Building a truck for both Power Tour and Good Guy events right now.

We can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it in 2015.  Drove up to WI, then took it back down to LA.  My nephew and I had a blast.  We met a bunch of nice people, saw a bunch of really cool vehicles, got to make runs down the track at Gateway and Memphis, and got to meet Frieberger, and Courtney Hanson.  I even ended up with her chewing gum.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We were waiting inline to meet her, and had just finished drinking a Sprite.  She walked up and was about to start taking pics, and went to throw out her gum, but there wasn't a trash can.  I said she could just but it in my empty bottle, and I'd throw it away.  As she did, the guy behind me yelled, "EBAY", she just laughed and said, "I get half." I just threw it away a few minutes later.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
How tall is she???
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did it in 2015.  Drove up to WI, then took it back down to LA.  My nephew and I had a blast.  We met a bunch of nice people, saw a bunch of really cool vehicles, got to make runs down the track at Gateway and Memphis, and got to meet Frieberger, and Courtney Hanson.  I even ended up with her chewing gum.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/IMG_1132_JPG-1766247.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/IMG_1200_JPG-1766246.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/IMG_1202_JPG-1766248.JPG

We were waiting inline to meet her, and had just finished drinking a Sprite.  She walked up and was about to start taking pics, and went to throw out her gum, but there wasn't a trash can.  I said she could just but it in my empty bottle, and I'd throw it away.  As she did, the guy behind me yelled, "EBAY", she just laughed and said, "I get half." I just threw it away a few minutes later.  
View Quote

Don’t lie. You kept it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How tall is she???
View Quote

I'm about 5'10" and my nephew is about 6'2" in the photo.  He's now 6'4".

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a friend who has done a couple of Power Tours. It is important to be reliable. He takes a Mustang GT convertible with some bolt on mods. He buys all of the cool Hot Wheels he can get at Walmart and gives them to kids along the route who are standing by the road. He says he has fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]
We were thinking about doing it.  Maybe this summer if stuff opens up a little.  

I have done 2 Lemons Rallies.  They are a street version of the 24 hour of Lemons Races.  They usually do it in the middle of the country to get people from both coasts.

I spoke with a guy who had done it.  He recommended a car with Ac that can idle in hot weather for 2 hours without overheating.  They leave early in morning, run to the next venue, wait in line to get set up, then have a parking lot show.  Motel, then next day repeat.  I would like to do it, but look into the Lemons Rallies.  They are fun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not HR Drag Week?

Last year one of my sons texted me;

'Dad, just saw Blasphemi!
Driving down the road!!!"

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top