Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have it as well.  I can't pinpoint the things that make it worse, or better.

I have been trying acacia pills, imodium.

It is depressing, really.  Docs are no help. Went through a lot of tests and nothing was found.  It's like "Shit happens"

Working from home has made it easier to deal with.  That dreaded OMG find me a freakin toilet, is lessened by not being on the road.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
UC for 25 years and counting.  IBS is a daily thing for me.  It sucks.

Diet definitely plays a role.  You have to experiment because everyone is different.   I am currently unmedicated, my UC is in remission.  My IBS is not.  Sometimes I am good, sometimes I am not.  

I am highly stressed, although I've been trying to keep calm.  Sleep helps.  

Good luck OP - it's definitely a mystery, and it can definitely be embarrassing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm sure a few in GD have some tips to deal with IBS, I haven't really had much trouble with it for several years, but now it's back.  I'm sure it's due to stress, it seems when I hate my job it goes to my stomach and even with trying to start my own company the stress doesn't get me like having a job I hate.

Oh, by the way.  Over 18,000 online?  Crazy
View Quote

Did you get the Covid vaccine?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought you were eating carnivore? I know when I am keto my stomach doesn't get tore up
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Strict specific carbohydrate diet
customprobiotics
glucosamine sulfate
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you get the Covid vaccine?

Serious question.
View Quote

No

But I've been hospitalized for serious injury or sickness three times in the last 20 years, the last one was a ruptured appendix I tried to walk off until I went into septic shock.  I have been quite sick since that one, about 3 years ago now.  The docs said they could give me crazy doses of antibiotics and wipe everything out, then hope the good stuff comes back stronger than the bad stuff, but that seems like a terrible idea.

Quoted:
I thought you were eating carnivore? I know when I am keto my stomach doesn't get tore up
View Quote

I was, and I kinda still am.  For a few weeks there I was really feeling good and started to gradually add in other foods, but I got extremely sick all of a sudden and it set everything back.  Now even on carnivore I'm pretty sick.

But at least I have a job with lots of travel now, so I've got that going for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dealt with ulcerative colitis for about 16 years before I was also diagnosed with a autoimmune liver disease. I’d try the keto diet and it would mess me up pretty bad. After 2 years of basically uncontrolled UC plus the increased risk of colon cancer with the liver issue, they removed my entire colon. Still trying to adjust because this way of life isn’t fun either.
View Quote

@BigSouthFork

What is the liver disease called?
Sorry to hear about your issues man, my 19 year old kid started having issues last month and I fear something similar

@ me
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Ibgard, gastro Dr. recommended it for my aunt with IBS, which has really helped her.

Example at Walgrens
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I go next week to a GI doc for my consultation. I started a thread last year about my gut issues, but nothing happened other than being told I have barrets and gerd. Nothing about diet change or nothing, just a daily ppi. My bloating and gut issues haven't gone away and I'm tired of going from constipation to diarrhea and constance boating sensation from my middle to lower guts. I'm insisting on a colonoscopy and hoping all new testing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@BigSouthFork

What is the liver disease called?
Sorry to hear about your issues man, my 19 year old kid started having issues last month and I fear something similar

@ me
View Quote

@ToledoXJ, the liver condition is Primary sclerosing cholangitis which doesn’t have a treatment currently.  Basically the bile ducts become inflamed and restrict flow which damages the liver. It often goes years undiagnosed as it did for me. They found it when I went in jaundice and ran test a few test. It put me back in the hospital this past December. Was jaundice again but septic as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eat a bag of Haribo sugarless gummies. You'll thank me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just wait till you spleen gates you for the gas built up. Diarrhea? Ha; wait till it feels like someone is trying to pull your lowest rib out. I lay on my fist till the pain stops.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]

He's not THAT brave!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Grapenuts.
Eat nothing but Grapenuts with vanilla almond milk for four days.

It will act like a walnut-blasted polish on your interior and you'll be a new man.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Avoid sugar/refined carbs and high fat foods.   Eat 1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt twice a day.   If it's being influenced by altered gut flora this should help level things out again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been in remission for a while, but I suggest SCD Yogurt, that's Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Basically, those poor bastards are worse on their best days, than I am on my worst.  They cut every type of carb out of their diet, and add them back one by one until they find the problem.

Normal yogurt:  heat milk to 180 F, hold 30 minutes, cool to below 105, add culture (can be a thing of live culture yogurt, I use Yogurt Starter Formula 2 from Custom Probiotics) and hold at 100 or so for 7 hours.  I have an Excallibur food dehydrator, so I use that for yogurt making, basically the square ones that you slide shelves into are great for yogurt, the round ones where you have to stack the shelves don't work to hold the yogurt containers at temp.

SCD yogurt:  exactly the same, but hold it at 100 for 24 hours; you digest out all the sugars, and it's probiotic as all hell, pushing kefir levels, way more bugs in a spoonful than storebought.  Tart, of course, because you digested out all the sugars.

If I take this, I don't have a flare up.  If I have a flare up, this fixes me quickly.  

My culture has L. Acidophillos, and L. Bulgaricus (two common strains), S. Thermophilus, L Lactis and B. Lactis.

The SCD folks (who are in bad shape, guts-wise) say eat a cup a day, but DO NOT get a culture with Biffidus for long term use; over 6 months or so it will, um, overcolonize your colon, and cause worse distress than you had before.  I think either Dannon or Yoplait uses this one; a thing of commercial yogurt for a starter for a gallon is fine, but if this works for you SWITCH to a different culture that does not have Biffidus before you go with this on a long term basis.  I've never tested this, I see no need to reinvent the flat tire.  They're pretty emphatic on this point.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top