Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2023 3:05:47 PM EDT
My RAM 1500 is great but is usually way too much truck for what I am using it for:

*90% of the time, not hauling anything
*Bed has never been completely full with kegs
*I don't tow anything at all
*I don't go off-road
*I rarely max out the seating capacity
*Mostly city/hwy driving

Could I:
Sell my truck and buy a Ridgeline, roll the equity into the new loan, and have lower payments?
Use less gas
Slightly easier to park
Lower Registration and Insurance costs (Colorado is Expen$ive)

This version looks very car-like: (2020)Attachment Attached File

In 2021 they got SLIGHTLY more truck-like:
Attachment Attached File

Would most definitely be looking at used, prices seem reasonable. $35-40k for a low mileage RTL or RTL-E
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
In a prior life, I worked for Honda's R&D division.   I think they are fine for what 95% of truck users use trucks for.  Honda does some unseen things that other manufacturers don't seem to do that keep their stuff functioning properly for longer.  If i lived in town where space was tight, i would consider one.  I can tell you that they are many times better than the colorado i used to own.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Could I:
Sell my truck and buy a Ridgeline, roll the equity into the new loan, and have lower payments?
View Quote

This depends on how much you owe on your RAM and how much a dealer will give you. Keep in mind that trade in values are slightly depressed right now compared to the past year, and interest rates are very much up there. Those two factors will greatly decrease the amount of potential savings in the monthly payment.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother the Texan got one and loves it.  He also dumped a half ton Chevy to get it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This depends on how much you owe on your RAM and how much a dealer will give you. Keep in mind that trade in values are slightly depressed right now compared to the past year, and interest rates are very much up there. Those two factors will greatly decrease the amount of potential savings in the monthly payment.
View Quote

I owe 42k
I could sell it around.... 52k private. Not sure what a dealer would give me for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I dislike unibodies, so my vote is keep the Ram. Nothing against Honda or the Ridgeline in particular, other than the 1st gens had some issues IIRC

If you think a half ton is big you need to try driving a CCLB dually everywhere you go
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
seems like it makes sense to downsize to something else
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. It matches my purse :)
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one and it’s the third one that I’ve owned. I have a real truck for towing but the RL is my daily driver, take the trash to the dump, run get mulch, whatever vehicle. It rides great and my purse fits perfectly in the trunk
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maverick.

My wife was looking at a used Tacome and the sales guy pulled up in a Ridgeline....she told him she'd rather take the bus than drive that ugly thing.
View Quote

My ego isn't so closely tied to what I drive, I'd be okay.
Also Ford dealerships SUCK the big one in town has some of the highest market adjustments in the entire country.

Also... isn't maverick FWD only and unibody?**
EDIT- it appears the turbo 4 is available with AWD

** I recognize the irony in this statement.
A ridgeline is a Honda Pilot, a Maveric is a Ford Escape
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Ridgeline and Tacoma. When I get a newer vehicle will likely be one or the other.

Both are dependable. Honda is more car like. Not sure if I will like the ride of a Tacoma for a daily driver.

Most of the time I am just hauling small items. Have a 3/4 ton square body for the real work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I owe 42k
I could sell it around.... 52k private. Not sure what a dealer would give me for it.
View Quote

Quick estimate of car loans given 10k equity and getting 7% rates which is "decent" these days for used is ~$500 a month for a 60month loan or ~$600 for 48 months.

Also another thing to consider is that Honda financing does have pretty decent rates on new ones right now. Either 0.9% for up to 36months or 2.9% for 60months. Using those numbers you could buy a new RTL at ~$42k and have the same payment with 2.9% than a used $35k at 7%.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a large under bed trunk... that is only available in the Ridgeline.

Mine has a full size spare... a large tool box, other related junk, and an AR... plus hard plate armor.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wanted one of the newer body style ones until TFL (youtube channel that reviews vehicles) took the brand new Ridgeline up an easy mountain trail and the transmission overheated and shut the whole vehicle down very early on.   Was pretty sad.  Can't actually all wheel drive your AWD vehicle and have it work for more than a mile or so.

This was a few years ago so maybe they fixed it but I doubt it.  I had an old Subaru (1999) that spent more time offroad than onroad and it never shut down on me.  My Ford Exploder has never shut itself down either offroad.

Overheats at 15:00 minutes.

Toyota Tacoma vs Honda Ridgeline vs GMC Canyon vs Nissan Frontier Mega Mashup Review
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
They're fugly and I would never own one.

I've randomly worked with a couple of long term owners who have abused them and they swear they will buy another.

IMO, the Ford Maverick is still fugly, but looks better than the Ridgeline.  I wouldn't buy a Maverick either.

If I was in the market for that type of thing, I would compare the two.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really wanted one of the newer body style ones until TFL (youtube channel that reviews vehicles) took the brand new Ridgeline up an easy mountain trail and the transmission overheated and shut the whole vehicle down very early on.   Was pretty sad.  Can't actually all wheel drive your AWD vehicle and have it work for more than a mile or so.

This was a few years ago so maybe they fixed it but I doubt it.  I had an old Subaru (1999) that spent more time offroad than onroad and it never shut down on me.  My Ford Exploder has never shut itself down either offroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eE697aqEg
View Quote

I think the real problem with the Ridgeline in that scenario is it's the only one without low range gearing.

My old Frontier was a beast.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've randomly worked with a couple of long term owners who have abused them and they swear they will buy another.

IMO, the Ford Maverick is still fugly, but looks better than the Ridgeline.  I wouldn't buy a Maverick either.

View Quote

Yeah I did some quick comparisons.
The Ridgeline is like 18" shorter than my truck
The Maverick is 16" shorter than the Ridgeline
The Maverick is also 8" narrower than the Ridgeline.

I'll admit the 2018-2020 Ridgelines look like an Accord station wagon for the first half lol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll admit the 2018-2020 Ridgelines look like an Accord station wagon for the first half lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I can say is if it works for you, jump on it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, you can use it to tow your Miata.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eE697aqEg
View Quote

They have a different transmission now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, you can use it to tow your Miata.....
View Quote

Unfortunately I'm too big to fit in a Miata. My knees are pressed into the dashboard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They have a different transmission now.
View Quote

I can't remember who I talked to, but they said the 6-speed auto did have overheating issues in 2017.
The new 9-speed does not. And by "new" I mean it came out in 2018.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can't remember who I talked to, but they said the 6-speed auto did have overheating issues in 2017.
View Quote

The over heating issues in the 6 speed were a result of a defect in some of the torque converters. The clutches in the converters slip and cause the fluid to overheat.  

The 9 speeds do not share this issue. But you do have to deal with $400 fluid changes every 30k in them. Plus shifting can be untraditional for most people since your dealing with a us made car with a German trans programmed by a Japanese engineer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Won't help offroad.  If you try to do something stupid with the Ridgeline like take it rock crawling the rear differential clutch packs will overheat and put you in limp mode.  For normal onroad/light offroad the AWD system will work fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like you could get by without a truck. Maybe a mid sized or even smaller SUV and a utility trailer would be more practical.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sounds like you could get by without a truck. Maybe a mid sized or even smaller SUV and a utility trailer would be more practical.
View Quote

Trailers are not practical, especially not for me. We'd have to store it in the garage (which is full of biz stuff). I thought about an SUV, but I don't think it would work.

Hooking/unhooking
Parking
Then there's the issue of backing

Yeah nah. Might work for some people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you want a large under bed trunk... that is only available in the Ridgeline.

Mine has a full size spare... a large tool box, other related junk, and an AR... plus hard plate armor.
View Quote

This is why, no matter what other truck I own, there will always be a ridgeline in my stable. The trunk is worth the humiliation of being seen driving it
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is why, no matter what other truck I own, there will always be a ridgeline in my stable. The trunk is worth the humiliation of being seen driving it
View Quote

What do you put in it?

Here's a Ridgeline I am looking at. I would have to sell the old man topper though.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d734&zip=80922#listing=339358509/NONE

Or this one
this
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#30]
So the best offer I've gotten so far is $46,300 from Caravana. I haven't found a great deal on a Ridgeline from Carvana though.

I found one in Cheyenne, WY at a good price, but I know first-hand that buying out-of-state is annoying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not a truck or even close. Just because it has a small box on the back doesn't make it a truck. It's a unibody car and it's all it will ever be. Don't kind yourself.

Would I drive one hell NO. I also don't wear saddles/flip flops, capri pants/shorts or my sweeter tied around my neck on my shoulders. Buck up guys and just get the mini van what's the difference??

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not a truck or even close. Just because it has a small box on the back doesn't make it a truck. It's a unibody car and it's all it will ever be. Don't kind yourself.

Would I drive one hell NO. I also don't wear saddles/flip flops, capri pants/shorts or my sweeter tied around my neck on my shoulders. Buck up guys and just get the mini van what's the difference??

View Quote

Why does something have to be body-on-frame to be a truck?
Vehicles are just tools to do what we need. I don't know why people get so emotional about these things.

I currently drive a massive, 5,500 lb body-on-frame solid-rear-axle V-8 powered truck. It's way more than I need, at all times.

I have found a few used Ridgelines but they are pretty sparse. Looking into leasing a new one. The lease terms are pretty favorable right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not everyone has a tiny dick syndrome like you.

Who gives a shit about the construction.

It has joe e payload then a lot of ram body on frame trucks too.

The vast majority of people who buy trucks never need anything more then a ridge line can carry.

You can’t hose out the back of a mini van.
You have more height limitations of what you can put in the back of a mini van.
You don’t get the ride height and the awd in mini van.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Wife has a Pilot. If I didn’t already have/need the 1990 F-250 as my yard work, garbage hauling and take the boat out once a year for maintenance truck, I’d trade my Mustang in for a Ridgeline.
It would be great for my garbage runs, but not so great for when I need a yard of sand or pull the 24’ tritoon up the boat ramp or haul off a dead tree cut up.
All wheel drive might work ok for the boat?  It’s only a 5 mile drive from ramp to driveway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#35]
My ex gf's family LOVES them. Has several. They're damn well bulletproof.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My ex gf's family LOVES them. Has several. They're damn well bulletproof.
View Quote

That's good to hear. I keep hearing this from owners.

My last Honda was a fantastic vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think the real problem with the Ridgeline in that scenario is it's the only one without low range gearing.

My old Frontier was a beast.
View Quote
You should look at a new Frontier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Stick with your current truck, you'll really use it eventually.

It's like someone going from a hellcat to an accord, don't do it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a Gen1 Ridgeline. It’s a 2007 RTL. I bought it used as a lease return. I could buy any truck I want. I’m frugal and buy things like that based on my needs and intended use. I haven’t used it much in the last 5 years, but every time I get in it I’m reminded how much I like it.

I think many of the “nope, not a truck” folks would change their tune if they drove one for 90 days, as long as it could meet their needs.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Ridgeline FTW! Comfortable and economical plus a great under body trunk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You should look at a new Frontier.
View Quote

I could for sure. I had an older frontier. I've heard the back seat is really small, but that's common in the midsize segment
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet your head would explode if you saw me pull into the parking area/campground in my 2000 Dodge Cummins 4wd 2500 with 6spd manual trans with two plated dirtbikes in the bed - and get out wearing my Klim Mohave riding pants and Birkenstocks

I drive the vehicle that makes the most sense for what I’m doing that day - very rarely is it my CTD. Usually it’s my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, ‘04 Acura MDX or ‘98 Explorer 5.0. I wish I still had my ‘97 Civic EX given the cost of gas these days.

Please provide the single globally accepted definition of “truck”.

Minivans are awesome tools as a daily driver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#43]
What year is your ram? I assume fairly new if you owe 42k? You might be able to get an ok deal to get out of the ram.

Im a ridge line fan, but in full disclosure I don’t own one. I do own a mini van, which is also a great vehicle.

No need to worry about your man card. Unless you’re so weak that the shape of the metal and plastic used for transportation holds  your manly rugged persona together. If that’s the case, ridge line isn’t for you, same for a minivan lol.

They seem to trigger truck bros when they realize a ridge line will handle all their truck stuff
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What year is your ram? I assume fairly new if you owe 42k? You might be able to get an ok deal to get out of the ram.

View Quote

2022 Ram. I already found rust spots on the tailgate
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Why do you think anyone cares what you drive?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

General insecurity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently, some people care a great deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top