Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 9:43:37 AM EDT
I finally got Tmobile home internet yesterday, but the laptop that my wife uses does not see the internal router.  I think if I connected to an external router I could get it working again.  This begs the question, shouldn't I go ahead and get a mesh system to broadcast wifi across my house and potentially to my detached garage better?  What mesh systems do you generally recommend?  I'd optimally prefer something I could pick up today locally at Walmart, Sams, or Best Buy.  But if ordering from Amazon or where ever is my best bet then we can go that way.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been a huge fan of the orbi ones. Also make sure the WiFi driver is up to date on your wife's laptop.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Define detached garage.  A few feet from the house or the other side of 10 acres?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Define detached garage.  A few feet from the house or the other side of 10 acres?
View Quote

Not high priority.  If I can't get good wifi signal there is is not a problem at all.  

However, a steel sided pole barn with 3 garage doors facing the house.  About 80 feet from the side of the house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not high priority.  If I can't get good wifi signal there is is not a problem at all.  

However, a steel sided pole barn with 3 garage doors facing the house.  About 80 feet from the side of the house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you place your current wifi router in the closest location to the barn so you get signal? If not you probably won't still with mesh and you might want to go wifi extender which is better for pushing wifi far away but does not have the seamlessness of mesh.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, forget about the barn.

Is the Orbi the best thing to get?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then yes. If you have a 2 story home top floor facing the barn is probably the best bet on the mesh and you might just barely make the jump to a well placed satellite orbi

The Costco 3 pack has been good to me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Forget the consumer crap.

Buy a Unifi Dream Machine:

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

Add mesh points IF you need them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
i just installed a eero pro 5 mesh unit in my house. i picked it up at best buy for 499. it works great and super easy to set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top