Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2020 9:48:47 PM EDT
I replaced a hose bib earlier and shut off the water .. never had to shut it off before today.

I have two inline shut off valves. Both serve the same purpose and either one will shut to water off to the house.

I've never seen this in my previos home or any home for that matter.

Is this common?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen it done, usually because the original valve leaked after closing/reopening

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh.  Odd.  One valve before the meter, one valve after the meter.  Maybe there was another line in between the valves that has since been removed?  Lots of joints in those pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
One on either side of the meter?   Common, turn them both off to swap the meter, one stops the water main from spraying you with water, the other stops the contents  of your pipes from spraying you
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen it done, usually because the original valve leaked after closing/reopening

View Quote

Or this, too.  But, it would be better to just remove the old faulty valve.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It's so they can yank the meter without the whole house draining on the floor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting, but the corner of my yard close to the sidewalk also has a water main valve that the water compny can use to shut water off.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The valve after the meter isn't always there, especially in older homes for some reason.  I've noticed that newer homes tend to have a valve after the meter as well, unless the plumbing contractor was pinching pennies on materials.

Typically the more valves to isolate appliances in a home, the better.  It makes plumbing repairs and alterations easier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Very common and actually code for new houses in many areas. The outside valve aka “b-box or buffalo box”  yes can turn off your water. Usually for lack of payment. And the risers are usually bent, tops can’t be found and mostly are full of sand.... atleast that’s what I deal with on the daily... we turn these as a last resort and atleast for us is a big no-no to touch for anyone other than the city water guys

The ones in the house are for swapping meters usually. And are more accessible.

Also if there ever comes a time you replace those 2 valves use a high quality ball valve.

Meters do have to be changed Old ones are mechanical and do wear. New ones have a battery and batteries get weak
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
More valves never hurt anyone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very common and actually code for new houses in many areas. The outside valve aka “b-box or buffalo box”  yes can turn off your water. Usually for lack of payment. And the risers are usually bent, tops can’t be found and mostly are full of sand.... atleast that’s what I deal with on the daily... we turn these as a last resort and atleast for us is a big no-no to touch for anyone other than the city water guys

The ones in the house are for swapping meters usually. And are more accessible.

Also if there ever comes a time you replace those 2 valves use a high quality ball valve.

Meters do have to be changed Old ones are mechanical and do wear. New ones have a battery and batteries get weak
View Quote

Agreed on ball valve. If i had the wherewithal i would change every valve in the house to ball valves.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
That is so the meter can be serviced without shutting off the Street valve, and to prevent leakback when the meter is removed
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If I was replacing a water meter and had to buy it, I'd look for a premium model that allows you to pre-set how many gallons cuts it off during a continuous flow event (i.e. a pipe breaks when you are not home) requiring a manual over-ride to re-start the flow.

I handled a bunch of water damage insurance claims where the insured was woefully underinsured for water damage to a finished basement.

Because honestly, can't think of many circumstances where more than 100 gallons is needed continously. Filing a swimming pool and using a pressure washer is about it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I know it’s frowned upon by municipalities but if it comes to having to getting it shut down quickly I have one of these hanging above the bench in the garage
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s common practice here. Keeps your house from being drained while servicing the meter. The valve in the yard is  called a
curbstop. If those house valves fail your still able to shut off the   supply to the house quickly (usually)

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Odd, everywhere I've lived the water meter has been out near the street.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know it’s frowned upon by municipalities but if it comes to having to getting it shut down quickly I have one of these hanging above the bench in the garage
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134638/48B9B104-35ED-4B0F-A55E-030F6020D77A_jpe-1438483.JPG
View Quote

Yep, the house valve is way up under the house (crawl space). I can grab the meter key and have the water turned off in a minute. I use it when working on a fixture in the house and maybe the fixture valve leaks - cut the water off, put a washer in it and go. Contractors working on things in the house do the same thing - quick and clean. The meter is in the front yard at the street.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
The meter inside the house is used mainly in the colder climates.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
More valves never hurt anyone.
View Quote

Valve lives matter.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It’s common practice here. Keeps your house from being drained while servicing the meter. The valve in the yard is  called a
curbstop. If those house valves fail your still able to shut off the   supply to the house quickly (usually)

https://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Lead-SafeMKE/images/croppedLSLCollaborativeLSLwHousediagram.png?LargePhoto
View Quote

Whoever made that graphic has never operated a curbstop shutoff valve. They'ye not buried 6 feet underground.

I recommend anyone on municipal water buy a can of light blue spray paint and cut away grass and lightly paint the valve and a light stripe on the curb each spring.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Whoever made that graphic has never operated a curbstop shutoff valve. They'ye not buried 6 feet underground.

I recommend anyone on municipal water buy a can of light blue spray paint and cut away grass and lightly paint the valve and a light stripe on the curb each spring.
View Quote
5 1/2'  is our spec due to frost here but I think you mean there's no stop box leading to the surface to activate the curbstop
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Gate valves are shit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gate valves are shit.
View Quote

Yep, get ball valves.  Especially if you have hard water.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gate valves are shit.
View Quote
??? Both valves look like globe valves to me. Gate valves are full flow, globe valves are better for throttling. Personally, I like Mueller ball valves. My house main cutoff is a 1 1\4 bushed onto a 1 inch line so no restriction and quick acting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
??? Both valves look like globe valves to me. Gate valves are full flow, globe valves are better for throttling. Personally, I like Mueller ball valves. My house main cutoff is a 1 1\4 bushed onto a 1 inch line so no restriction and quick acting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gate valves are shit.

It looked suspiciously like a gate valve and I was triggered.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting, but the corner of my yard close to the sidewalk also has a water main valve that the water compny can use to shut water off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be the valve for the main, to isolate one end of the street in case of a main break.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134638/48B9B104-35ED-4B0F-A55E-030F6020D77A_jpe-1438483.JPG
View Quote

Because some meters haven't been turned off in years and the angle stop breaks off. Then they get tampering few and repair costs.

The people who get their water turned off every other month have a well broken in valve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top