Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 12:07:04 AM EDT
Here's my main rack at the house.  I finally have redundant 10Gb links between all but the shop switch (it isn't needed there).

Supermicro 5018D-FN8T running Untangle HomePro
Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG as 10Gb core switch
Aruba 2930F JL255A as primary access switch
Cisco SG350-28P as overflow access switch

Attachment Attached File

I have another rack in my shop with a Cisco SG250-26P and fiber running back to the house with cameras and a backup NAS.
Attachment Attached File

Also, my lab/server rack with a HPE 1950 JG962A in my o
Attachment Attached File

All devices are on APC SMT1500 or Eaton 5SC series UPSes.

I shudder at the dollars spent between the networking equipment, cameras, and home server equipment.

It keeps me occupied though so there's that.

ETA: I'm running UniFi AP's for the moment.  A UAP-AC-HD and UAP-AC-PRO in the house and a UAP-AC-IW each in the shop and old garage.  I plan on changing to Ruckus or Aruba  (non-controller models) when I next upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Jealous..
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jealous..
View Quote
Yeah, my wife says I have a problem and I kind of agree
I'm going to be ordering another 10TB WD Ultrastar drive for the NAS as I'm nearing 75% used space now at 43TB.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to be ordering another 10TB WD Ultrastar drive for the NAS as I'm nearing 75% used space now at 43TB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jealous..
Damn!  43TB?  That's a heck of a movie collection.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Here is mine. Bunch of servers, blades and Other stuff that I mess with. My cable management sucks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just wired 10AP unifi system at my church!

Attachment Attached File

Here's my system at home, still not finished with cable management...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jealous..
Well, I'm a backup whore so I've got the physical media and originals from PlayOn backed up as well so that I can go back and re-encode if I need to.  I wrote an app to strip the crap off of the videos that PlayOn adds as I got tired of seeing it.

Actual media I'm around 16TB.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104360/F4D41047-63E3-4E7E-B7F9-A157307722F8_jpe-1308677.JPG

Here is mine. Bunch of servers, blades and Other stuff that I mess with. My cable management sucks.
View Quote
Nice!!!

Yeah you need to work on the cables.  They're triggering me
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just wired 10AP unifi system at my church!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20200215_133218_jpg-1308682.JPG

Here's my system at home, still not finished with cable management...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20200216_193851_jpg-1308683.JPG
View Quote
Those are both clean.  Good work!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nice!!!

Yeah you need to work on the cables.  They're triggering me
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my first rack

24U, adjustable depth.

Going to hold 2x HP proliant dl360 gen8 (I think, they may be gen 7, I can't remember and don't have them in front of me), a unifi 24 port swtich, unifi dream machine, a decomissioned sff pc acting as a pfsense router / firewall, and some other misc odds and ends
Putting it all together in a few weeks, once I move.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My humble setup.  pfSense, 10GbE

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Looks good!

I take it the 10Gbe switch is the Netgear at the bottom right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks good!

I take it the 10Gbe switch is the Netgear at the bottom right?
View Quote
Actually, I have two XS712T 10GbE switches (the top and the bottom ones).  The top one is off my pfSense machine and has all of my VLANs and the bottom one has all my home servers on it (on the same VLAN).

I actually have more on the back of the rack (like the ugly Ubiquiti switch)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]

OP looks like your HP server has a yellow warning light, better check that out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/uFEGpS0.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/s239QJIh56sRW/giphy.gif

View Quote
Because it's fun

The HP server is off at the moment so the light goes yellow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because it's fun

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's fun

I use to but man, aint nobody got time for this. I got wifi all through the house and I dont even bother with wired anymore.

These days, if i want to play with anything like this, I get my infrastructure/virtualization/network teams to do it for me...
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's actually not a bad question. What on earth do you connect with all that?

Here's mine:

Attachment Attached File

I have a total of twelve Cat-6A STP drops throughout the house. I just added a MikroTik 10G 4-port SFP+ switch. It's going to connect my desktop/tower to a NAS I'm going to build. The rest of the house is still going to be gigabit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's actually not a bad question. What on earth do you connect with all that?

Here's mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318440/Closet_Patch_Panel__3__jpg-1315506.JPG

I have a total of twelve Cat-6A STP drops throughout the house. I just added a MikroTik 10G 4-port SFP+ switch. It's going to connect my desktop/tower to a NAS I'm going to build. The rest of the house is still going to be gigabit.
View Quote
Security cameras, servers running with LACP, IPMI connections for servers and router, every room has at least 2 wired connections, extra connection ran to the soffit for extra cameras (or lights that use POE).

It all adds up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's what I have with the door open.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
That works.  UniFi switch?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't have a UniFi switch. I actually hate managed switches, which I assume that is.

The outside phone line is coming into the house via 6C Cat-3 that I ran. That goes into a CenturyLink modem (which I hate) that is running in bridged mode. The EdgeRouter X connects to that and handles PPPoE. It also handles 6rd. Port 1 on the ER-X goes to the WAN port on the modem. The rest act as a LAN switch. The gigabit switch goes into one of those, the 10 gigabit switch into another, and the access point into a third. The access point is in the living room and uses one of the 12 Cat-6A drops.

I think I'm going to setup EAP-TLS on the Wi-Fi. The ER-X runs OpenWrt and can act as a RADIUS server.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't have a UniFi switch. I actually hate managed switches, which I assume that is.

The outside phone line is coming into the house via 6C Cat-3 that I ran. That goes into a CenturyLink modem (which I hate) that is running in bridged mode. The EdgeRouter X connects to that and handles PPPoE. It also handles 6rd. Port 1 on the ER-X goes to the WAN port on the modem. The rest act as a LAN switch. The gigabit switch goes into one of those, the 10 gigabit switch into another, and the access point into a third. The access point is in the living room and uses one of the 12 Cat-6A drops.

I think I'm going to setup EAP-TLS on the Wi-Fi. The ER-X runs OpenWrt and can act as a RADIUS server.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That works.  I wasn't sure what that gray switch was.

I love managed switches.  VLAN's are my friend
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The gray one is the 10 gigabit: MikroTik CRS305

It's managed, but it can be configured to boot two different firmwares. So I have it boot into SwitchOS and not router OS. You can still do VLANs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's managed, but it can be configured to boot two different firmwares. So I have it boot into SwitchOS and not router OS. You can still do VLANs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically it is a L2 managed switch when running SwitchOS.

Non-managed would be a dumb switch with no VLAN capabilities.

I don't use L3 features on my switches either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Technically it is a L2 managed switch when running SwitchOS.

Non-managed would be a dumb switch with no VLAN capabilities.

I don't use L3 features on my switches either.
View Quote
Yeah I get that. I just don't like having things to login to. That means control can be exerted if a weakness is found. The EdgeRouter-X is protected by Ed25519 elliptic-curve SSH keys.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#26]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

How big of a concern is cooling for a home setup? I have some space in a closet I could use,  but I'm concerned about it getting too hot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#27]
It's a myth that you have to keep data center equipment at 60-something degrees.  As long as it isn't 120+ degrees in the closet, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to have a workspace in the corner of a server room that gone through several server consolidations and retirements, and we were down to about four or five racks containing servers, core switch, a SAN and fiber management.  Also present was a PBX system soon to be replaced.  When the AC would fail or be brought down for service, the temperature would rise from 68 degrees to over 80 fairly fast.  Since the space was larger, this allowed us the use of floor fans to circulate the air enough.

I see a problem with a closet with no sends / returns for a cooling system.  Circulating air helps when there's cooler air to replace it with.  A confined space could get over 100 degrees easily with just switches and a UPS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

How big of a concern is cooling for a home setup? I have some space in a closet I could use,  but I'm concerned about it getting too hot.
View Quote
Depends on what you're storing.

If you're just doing a network setup there is almost no heat generated. I built mine in a coat closet and it doesn't get hot at all and I have no fans on it.

If you're going to build a server then it will get much hotter. In that case I would get a rack with built in fans just to be sure. I doubt in a home setup it's going to really get hot enough to hurt anything, but better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I turned a small closet in my office to my "network closet".  When "things started getting out of hand" as the wife says, you could easily notice an increase in heat in the closet.  I plumbed a bathroom fan into the ceiling and it exhausts into the HVAC return.  I've noticed that it works very well during the winter when the house is kept at 68-69 degrees and in the summer when the AC is in full operation.  But, in the spring/fall when the air isn't on and circulating, it gets the hottest.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a myth that you have to keep data center equipment at 60-something degrees.  As long as it isn't 120+ degrees in the closet, you're good to go.
View Quote
I have a Cisco switch and ReadyNAS running in my shop and it routinely hits 95F in there during the summer.

It's been running that way for 3 years now with no issues other than the fans spin a bit faster during the summer months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top