Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 4:33:45 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to knock out a wall separating my kitchen and dinning room for larger kitchen.
I am about 95% certain the wall is NOT load bearing but I wanted to get some expert thoughts.

Picture is layout of the floor in question, no 2nd story
concrete pad
red are the beams int he ceiling
blue are current walls (top is roof angle)
green is wall i want to take out

Not to ratio and not sure if green rests on a beam in the ceiling, i did it to contrast colors.

Again I believe non-load bearing but what say smart people?

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Your picture is, ahem, unclear.

If the red are the beams the roof is shown on the side. As in one of the walls.

Edit: I see it now. You are showing how the roof spans the beams, but it is drawn so close it looks like part of the top view.

The green wall is not load bearing.

Probably.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you get into the attic to verify this?

If your green wall is actually parallel to the rafters, then there is normally some blocking that it would be attached to.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Walls parallel to the joists are likely not load bearing, unless there is a beam at the top perpendicular to the wall that the joists are riding on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your green wall is actually parallel to the rafters, then there is normally some blocking that it would be attached to.
View Quote

I have verified the rafters in the attic are running parallel to the green wall.

What do you mean by blocking, wall sitting on a rafter or wood between rafters to support the wall from deformation of the ceiling?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to knock out a wall separating my kitchen and dinning room for larger kitchen.
I am about 95% certain the wall is NOT load bearing but I wanted to get some expert thoughts.

Picture is layout of the floor in question, no 2nd story
concrete pad
red are the beams int he ceiling
blue are current walls (top is roof angle)
green is wall i want to take out

Not to ratio and not sure if green rests on a beam in the ceiling, i did it to contrast colors.

Again I believe non-load bearing but what say smart people?

http://i.imgur.com/VoIGgzbh.png
View Quote

I have a wall like this I might remove.
Have you been in the attic?
A friend up the street from me has removed his wall,we have the same floor plan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have verified the rafters in the attic are running parallel to the green wall.

What do you mean by blocking, wall sitting on a rafter or wood between rafters to support the wall from deformation of the ceiling?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's asking how the top of the green wall is attached to the ceiling joists.

Likely blocking (2x4s or 2x6s) between two of the joists then nailed through that blocking into the top plate of the wall.
If it is, you should be able to remove the green wall no problem.  Those aren't load bearing components.

Is it like the second or third image?

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Likely blocking (2x4s or 2x6s) between two of the joists then nailed through that blocking into the top plate of the wall.
If it is, you should be able to remove the green wall no problem.  Those aren't load bearing components.

https://www.greenbuildingcentral.us/home-carpentry/images/9664_9_42-framing-wall.jpg
View Quote

Gotcha, I'm a visual person.

I don't know as the attic and fiberglass insulation is the stuff on nightmares for me but ill see if I can, access is in coat closet
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.greenbuildingcentral.us/home-carpentry/images/9664_9_42-framing-wall.jpg
View Quote

Appears to be 3rd picture
Eta could be 2 as well. Drilled up in ceiling and hit wood
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It does not look like a load bearing wall.  Keep in mind we are making a lot of assumptions.  Your the one on site, if as you begin to demo the drywall starts cracking/buckling and windows or doors get hard to open and close you should stop.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely a number 3
Plywood between rafter to nail to

No buckling no warping

Wall is gone

Thanks all

Will post pics later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top