Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/30/2020 10:28:53 PM EDT
Doesn't look like I'll be headed to a gym anytime soon.

Anyone got a lead on an in-stock, shippable Olympic barbell set?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do a lot with just a couple kettlebells.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do a lot with just a couple kettlebells.
View Quote

Just spent the last 2 hours searching the web for weightlifting gear, well guess what? ITS ALL GONE.

I'm going to transition to ammo can exercises. That's right, ammo cans. I have a shitload of ammo and there's a lot of youtube videos with marine ammo can exercises.

A 50 cal can full of lead is over 100 lbs.... guess I can do some dumbbell squats and single can chest presses as well as overhead single can presses. Ammocan rows too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Haha.  Yeah.  Keep looking

dicks may have sets in stock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Haha.  Yeah.  Keep looking

dicks may have sets in stock.
View Quote

Yup, looked there. Nothing available for the curbside.

Actually looking forward to buying some equipment from gyms going out of business from this. You won't catch me unprepared like this again. Guess I was focused on ammo, food, water and electricity, never expected the gyms to be shutdown for an extended time like this.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just spent the last 2 hours searching the web for weightlifting gear, well guess what? ITS ALL GONE.

I'm going to transition to ammo can exercises. That's right, ammo cans. I have a shitload of ammo and there's a lot of youtube videos with marine ammo can exercises.

A 50 cal can full of lead is over 100 lbs.... guess I can do some dumbbell squats and single can chest presses as well as overhead single can presses. Ammocan rows too.
View Quote

Do split-squats... you won't need anywhere near as much weight.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You missed that boat by a few weeks.

A friend of mine just ordered a cheap rack from Walmart and it's delivery date is the end of April.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Try to find sandbags. Brute Force, Rogue, GORUCK. Get the sandbag, filler bags and some sand or pea gravel from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Also, any rucking work will keep you going. GORUCK rucks with Titan or Yes4All ruck plates do wonders for your whole body. You can get GORUCK plates, but they are more expensive than the other two.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try to find sandbags. Brute Force, Rogue, GORUCK. Get the sandbag, filler bags and some sand or pea gravel from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Also, any rucking work will keep you going. GORUCK rucks with Titan or Yes4All ruck plates do wonders for your whole body. You can get GORUCK plates, but they are more expensive than the other two.
View Quote

I made a decent sandbag out of an ALICE liner. I put a pillow case inside it, then a contractor trash bag inside that, and filled it with rubber mulch, then left room to add sand as needed.

The thing is a pain in the ass to handle, which is a good thing if you are doing sandbag work because the load is supposed to be unstable and shift around.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Craigslist of FB marketplace? Always gym equipment in there
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Craigslist of FB marketplace? Always gym equipment in there
View Quote

It all got wiped out last week, it was crazy.

I check marketplace a few times a week or a few different things, racks, bars and weights being one of them. There is usually a surplus of low quality stuff like Dicks quality bars and weights.

Everything is gone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I check marketplace a few times a week or a few different things, racks, bars and weights being one of them. There is usually a surplus of low quality stuff like Dicks quality bars and weights.

Everything is gone.
View Quote

Yup, I was focused on provisions and security, home gym equipment never got to my radar until now. Interesting where peoples priorities lie
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup, I was focused on provisions and security, home gym equipment never got to my radar until now. Interesting where peoples priorities lie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is gone.

I feel bad for a lot of the guys on reddit that live in apartments. They can't get most equipment anyway, and now they are stuck without anywhere to workout, and even the cheap equipment is gone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I made a decent sandbag out of an ALICE liner. I put a pillow case inside it, then a contractor trash bag inside that, and filled it with rubber mulch, then left room to add sand as needed.

The thing is a pain in the ass to handle, which is a good thing if you are doing sandbag work because the load is supposed to be unstable and shift around.
View Quote

They're fun to workout with. I have a GORUCK 26L GR1 with 20, 30, 45# plates from various manufacturers, a Brute Force 80# sandbag, a GORUCK 120# sandbag, Brute Force 25# sandbag kettlebell. With the hill in the backyard, I'm pretty well set to transform into a bear.

That is stuff you should be able to get now, or at least with a short lead time. I combine that stuff with a Concept 2 rower, a treadmill and some older dumbbells and have a nice little garage gym.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've made arrangements to buy some Olympic plates from a FB seller. 4x45, 2x25 and some smaller dumbells for the wife. $2/lb... not ideal, but beats getting fat and weak.

Bought an 6ft Olympic bar off Amazon yesterday and now they're sold out. ETA April 21st...

The FB dude wants $200 for his bar lol. Tempted, we'll see what condition its in
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've made arrangements to buy some Olympic plates from a FB seller. 4x45, 2x25 and some smaller dumbells for the wife. $2/lb... not ideal, but beats getting fat and weak.

Bought an 6ft Olympic bar off Amazon yesterday and now they're sold out. ETA April 21st...

The FB dude wants $200 for his bar lol. Tempted, we'll see what condition its in
View Quote

Ask him what kind of bar it is, might be worth $200 if it's a nice one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I'm gonna bring the cash and check it out. The 6ft one I bought off Amazon (now sold out too) would be a better fit for my garage though.

Also bought a Titan T-3 82" power rack off Ebay for $388.99. THE LAST ONE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Fitness-T-3-Series-82-Power-Rack-Squat-Deadlift-Cage-Benchpress-Pull-Up/302013272292?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Got this bench off ebay too. It was really difficult to find a sturdy bench that had a weight rating over 400 lbs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CFF-Flat-Utility-Bench/141457141368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]

I ended up having to go to Dick's to get exercise equipment (I know, fuck them)

Their adjustable bench is rated at 600lbs, the squat rack they had was as well. Works fantastic for me. Wife threw a TRX on there and ordered a Marcy home gym thing for some pulley exercises and we've got a decent little setup now. I have about 270lbs of weight, so I won't be doing anything too heavy, but it'll give me a decent workout for now. I've been trying to hit 225x20 on both bench and squat... being that I normally lift heavy for 3-5 it's killing me. Once this shit clears up and gyms open, it's going to be open season on FB and CL. weights are going to come pouring in

Pic reminds me I need to go out and clean the garage

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Their adjustable bench is rated at 600lbs, the squat rack they had was as well. Works fantastic for me. Wife threw a TRX on there and ordered a Marcy home gym thing for some pulley exercises and we've got a decent little setup now. I have about 270lbs of weight, so I won't be doing anything too heavy, but it'll give me a decent workout for now. I've been trying to hit 225x20 on both bench and squat... being that I normally lift heavy for 3-5 it's killing me. Once this shit clears up and gyms open, it's going to be open season on FB and CL. weights are going to come pouring in

https://i.imgur.com/ir77pCy.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ir77pCy.jpg

I looked at Dicks and I was too slow by about a week or two. Nothing I'd want within range for the curbside pickup left.

Think I'm finally going to cut the cord on the Anytime Fitness membership after this. 2-year payback for the gear. I can live with that and add more weights as the prices fall.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Everything is gone.
View Quote

It's still going on.

With almost nothing to do with every waking moment currently, I have become obsessed with trying to piece together some plates, a bar, and a bench or rack of some sort.

Good. Fucking. Luck.

I'm searching as far as Sacramento and the Bay Area and watching things snapped up in minutes. What is available is really expensive so that doesn't work for me either.

The governor of Nevada just extended the stay at home order until at least April 30 so that means the gyms stay closed. That just turned up the pressure on home gym equipment.

At this point, if I can come up with something, it will be blind luck.

I hope you all have more success in finding something than I have.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's still going on.

With almost nothing to do with every waking moment currently, I have become obsessed with trying to piece together some plates, a bar, and a bench or rack of some sort.

Good. Fucking. Luck.

I'm searching as far as Sacramento and the Bay Area and watching things snapped up in minutes. What is available is really expensive so that doesn't work for me either.

The governor of Nevada just extended the stay at home order until at least April 30 so that means the gyms stay closed. That just turned up the pressure on home gym equipment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is gone.

It's still going on.

Good. Fucking. Luck.

I picked up 300# of plates yesterday in Denver. The dude selling them literally had HUNDREDS of messages, but I was one of the first to offer cold hard cash. Pure. Blind. Luck.

I paid $2/lb and got 4x45 York plates, 2x35 & 2x25 Weider plates for $600.

My Titan T-3 (all sold out now) Power Rack and bench are shipped too. Barbell from amazon still shows April 21st.

Pro-Tip: If you want floor mats, don't bother with the cheezy amazon squares, go to JAX or Tractor Supply and buy a couple 6x4 3/4" Horse Stall Mats. They're a PITA to move, but awesome for $40-45 each!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, the price of used iron went up 4x in short order, this is the second time I've hear $2/lb, the going rate is normally around 50 cents/lb for used stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, the price of used iron went up 4x in short order, this is the second time I've hear $2/lb, the going rate is normally around 50 cents/lb for used stuff.
View Quote

Used iron prices have been climbing over the past couple years. Around here, i had no problem getting $0.70/lb for the last couple batches I've sold, and probably could've gotten more if I wanted to wait a little longer.

The funny thing about lower-end iron is that you can buy brand new for about the same price as used if you buy the 300# sets and sell the shitty bars that come with them on CL. Of course, that only applies if you can actually get your hands on new 300# sets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#23]
So you're saying now is the time to sell the spare Olympic bar that's been sitting unused for a decade...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So you're saying now is the time to sell the spare Olympic bar that's been sitting unused for a decade...
View Quote

Yup, and any adjustable dumbbells you may have laying around. People are paying stupid money for Blowflex, Ironmaster, and Powerblock sets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup, and any adjustable dumbbells you may have laying around. People are paying stupid money for Blowflex, Ironmaster, and Powerblock sets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly it may not be stupid money. A lot of this stuff was made in China and won't be coming back to the US at pre-CV19 prices. Expect some economic retaliation in the form of tariffs from Trump.

Also, with all the gyms closing, a lot of them probably permanently, there is going to be an on-going, sustained shortage of this type of gear, especially in states with high "health conscious" population and/or metro areas.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like my Ironmaster DB's however, I thought the Bowflex and Powerblock DB's were garbage when comparing them all.  I wouldn't buy them at any price personally.

I should have gotten another set of Ironmaster's last year when I thought about it
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly it may not be stupid money. A lot of this stuff was made in China and won't be coming back to the US at pre-CV19 prices. Expect some economic retaliation in the form of tariffs from Trump.

Also, with all the gyms closing, a lot of them probably permanently, there is going to be an on-going, sustained shortage of this type of gear, especially in states with high "health conscious" population and/or metro areas.
View Quote

Check out the completed "powerblock" listings on Ebay. I have two sets and am seriously considering unloading at least one of them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

[/url]
View Quote

Friend of mine has that rack. He's been using it for years. He doesn't go heavy but it works fine.

I have a cheap Titan rack. I pieced my stuff together over several months getting deals here and there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I picked up 300# of plates yesterday in Denver. The dude selling them literally had HUNDREDS of messages, but I was one of the first to offer cold hard cash. Pure. Blind. Luck.

I paid $2/lb and got 4x45 York plates, 2x35 & 2x25 Weider plates for $600.

My Titan T-3 (all sold out now) Power Rack and bench are shipped too. Barbell from amazon still shows April 21st.

Pro-Tip: If you want floor mats, don't bother with the cheezy amazon squares, go to JAX or Tractor Supply and buy a couple 6x4 3/4" Horse Stall Mats. They're a PITA to move, but awesome for $40-45 each!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/Weights_-_Copy_jpg-1346229.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/Weights2_-_Copy_jpg-1346230.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/3Weights2_-_Copy_jpg-1346231.JPG
View Quote

Fantastic score!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

$2 a pound stuff is getting snapped up.

Yesterday I was watching $3+ a pound ads getting deleted the same day. I can only assume they are selling.

I really, really need to put something together but these prices have me seriously gun-shy while being out of work. I found a used squat rack (not cage) today for $200. Found a bench for $100. A barbell for $100. That's $400 before I even try to find some iron.

But I keep looking. I really don't have anything else to do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 1 x 18lb kettlebell and dumbbells in 3, 5, 10, & 12 lbs. I’ve had this all for a while now. Did cardio on the bike at the gym, weights at home.  Couple of friends have been trying to take the weights off my hands. Told me I could name my price. They’re nothing special, just from Target or Amazon. I refused. Need to keep up my workouts for when we can finally dive again!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad I bought a set of these a year or so ago and a sturdy flat bench several years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Ain't that something?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like I'm selling my spare bar and 35 pound plates when I get home.  That's nuts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like I'm selling my spare bar and 35 pound plates when I get home.  That's nuts.
View Quote

I can only guess someone didn't bother to read any of the posting, but there were 8 bidders... it clearly stated in the description that the sale was for ONE 45 lb plate as well as the title. Yet people bid it up. $250 for a single Troy plate hahahah
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched a guy sell a Walmart bench, 100 pounds of rusted iron and a shitty bar for $400 yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I watched a guy sell a Walmart bench, 100 pounds of rusted iron and a shitty bar for $400 yesterday.
View Quote

I saw some used Rogue bumpers sell for quite a bit more than the retail on them pretty quick yesterday.

I'm guessing a lot of people realize they won't be getting back to the gym for a few months, and are just saying "screw it" and handing over the bills.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I know this doesn’t answer the question but you can do good work with some bootleg equipment.

The “sled” in this picture was free.

The sandbag is a sleeping bag stuff sack with smaller bags inside, also free.

The vest is weighted with old defunct ballistic tiles, held together with chem tape.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what's everyone's opinion of this guy here?

Enterprising young man or exploitative cocksucker?

I was tempted to put some stuff I don't use up for a pay it forward kinda thing to whoever pays shipping, but they would probably turn around and sell it for hundreds.

And I don't really feel like figuring out how to ship a 7' barbell and bumpers.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:[/quote
I was tempted to put some stuff I don't use up for a pay it forward kinda thing to whoever pays shipping, but they would probably turn around and sell it for hundreds.

View Quote

Put it up on FB Marketplace or eBay for local pickup?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Put it up on FB Marketplace or eBay for local pickup?
View Quote

Then I'd see it on craigslist for $900.

I will offer it up to any members here, on the solemn promise they shall use it only to get swoll.  And you gotta make an "essential" road trip and come get it.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So what's everyone's opinion of this guy here?

Enterprising young man or exploitative cocksucker?

View Quote

Supply vs demand. The market determines the value.

Just about every retailer is sold out and won't have any real quantity or variety of anything for a couple months. If you can't go to the gym, don't have the equipment you need, and can't buy new, you're at the mercy of resellers.

If we were talking about food, water, or medical supplies I'd say "exploitative cocksucker"....but we're talking about unnecessary, or "luxury" items.

I have a pretty well-stocked home gym and have been looking at my equipment to see what (if anything) I'm willing to part with while the prices are crazy high.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I have no problems with people charging what people will pay for a luxury item.  Now I'm kicking myself for not buying two 45lb plates @ $40 a piece from Walmart clearance section.  I didn't grab them because they were standard holes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Supply vs demand. The market determines the value.

Just about every retailer is sold out and won't have any real quantity or variety of anything for a couple months. If you can't go to the gym, don't have the equipment you need, and can't buy new, you're at the mercy of resellers.

If we were talking about food, water, or medical supplies I'd say "exploitative cocksucker"....but we're talking about unnecessary, or "luxury" items.
View Quote

I agree with all of this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been watching standard plates get listed and sold in a matter of hours the past two days.

I think people figured out this stuff is moving.

Mostly piles of small plates that you know have been sitting in some dudes basement or barn for 20 years. I know where there's some laying around, I should go offer the old guy 50 cents a pound for them and flip them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#46]
So it begins... $67 6ft CAP barbell shipped early too, should be here friday!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Will a 6' bar fit on a standard rack?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Will a 6' bar fit on a standard rack?
View Quote

Based on the dimension sheets it will with 3" clearance to spare. We shall see!

Worst case I flip in on FB for $200 and buy a used 7ft for $250.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#49]
My rack is 48" wide, a Texas Power Bar is 52" between shafts.

This one says 46.5" between shafts, it would be 1.5" too short to fit in my rack.

https://www.ironcompany.com/cap-barbell-chromed-72in-olympic-bar
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My rack is 48" wide, a Texas Power Bar is 52" between shafts.

This one says 46.5" between shafts, it would be 1.5" too short to fit in my rack.

https://www.ironcompany.com/cap-barbell-chromed-72in-olympic-bar
View Quote

Just measured my T3, it's dead on 46" end to end. Guess we'll see if racking is a problem. I have spotter bars on order.

Need to get another rubber sheet and some leveling shims. Lat pulldown pulley is on order, I did manage to get a low pulley row kit though.

Also need to get some 5 lb plates. Maybe some 10s too

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top