Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2021 7:09:30 PM EDT
Having read the many posts on AR15.com extolling the virtues of a rifle over a Pistol Caliber Carbine I am fully in agreement with the logic behind same. Rifle ballistics are clearly far superior to pistol ballistics.

I have an AR15 pistol (10.5” barrel) and a PCC (8” barrel), both equipped with Aimpoint CompM5’s. Both are reliable and would make a great home defense weapon. But the PCC is so light, well balanced, and has such a good “feel” that I shoot it better than any other gun I’ve ever shot in my life. Out to 50 yards it is eerily accurate (probably the max distance I would need to engage). I am far more accurate with the PCC than the AR15 pistol. I’m thinking the accuracy issue alone warrants consideration for me to use it as my “go-to” home defense weapon. But I don’t want it to be my funeral. LOL

Curious if others have similar or differing thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is an apartment or close houses I would use whatever penetrated least.  If neighbors are not an issue use whatever you perform best with.  My .02
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
In before somebody links you to one of the many examples of home invasions where the homeowner was sadly killed due to using a PCC to defend themselves. It's your funeral.

In all seriousness I don't think you'll have any problems with the PCC, as long as you're confident in its reliability.

And there may be some advantages to not having the noise and blast of a 10.5" .223 if you anticipate shooting indoors, possibly in the dark, without no earpro. But what do I know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Fast pcc hits > slow rifle misses.

Honestly if you shoot 9mm or bigger decently you will be fine. In my life I have had the following next to the bed:
357 revolver
9mm semis
NAA mini 22 mag
30” 12 gauge skeet gun loaded with trap rounds
Various 45s
300bO sbr
9mm pcc.

I have not yet been murdered
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Won’t even wake the neighbors.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'm sticking with braced-pistols until I get my 300BO suppressor.  I like my 5.56 pistols for outside, but way to loud inside.  I'm sure my son will post about my funeral because I didn't use a more ballistically superior cartridge

Go with what works for you.  There are far more important factors for home-defense than terminal ballistics (as mentioned, if you live in an Apartment or with close neighbors, penetration is a valid concern).  Check around, I know there are often classes on home-defense with handguns and carbines...they are worth the investment with a good instructor.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Pdw in .300 blk like a Honey badger or rattler is the best.  You can load subs and have .45 cal+ level of lead downrange.  Mag switch to supers and 2000+ fps stuff downrange.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
J frame, anything else is overkill.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
In to represent shotgun master race.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I love how people plan to use 10-11.5" ARs for HD.   Set that sucker off in a room no ear pro no can and see how that sounds!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]
C'mon man...

Joe B is the prez now. All you need is a crack barrel 12 gauge and some #8 Birdshot. Shoot 'em in the leg and tell 'em Cornpop said hello.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In to represent shotgun master race.

View Quote

i'm in that race.

mossy 500 with 00B. so easy, even the wife can shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fast pcc hits > slow rifle misses.
View Quote

Well, that puts it in perspective for me.

Thanks everyone for offering your insights. It’s a .45 caliber PCC and our new winter home is in a small community with homes very close.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm sticking with braced-pistols until I get my 300BO suppressor.  I like my 5.56 pistols for outside, but way to loud inside.  I'm sure my son will post about my funeral because I didn't use a more ballistically superior cartridge

Go with what works for you.  There are far more important factors for home-defense than terminal ballistics (as mentioned, if you live in an Apartment or with close neighbors, penetration is a valid concern).  Check around, I know there are often classes on home-defense with handguns and carbines...they are worth the investment with a good instructor.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ROCK6

It’s actually what my wife would grab. I’d use a 10.3” 5.56 with a can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The points about penetration did factor into my thoughts. I figure the best thing I can do to limit undesired penetration into my neighbors’ home is to hit my target. LOL

We are moving from a condo to small single family house. I had a shotgun for home defense at the condo but I have an elbow issue that makes any weapon heavier than 6 lbs and recoil a significant issue. It sucks getting old.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Suppressed 300blk shorty master race
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Only counts if your PCC is .380
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love how people plan to use 10-11.5" ARs for HD.   Set that sucker off in a room no ear pro no can and see how that sounds!
View Quote

It would be like a flash concussion grenade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
5.56 is superior but I believe a 9mm pcc won't blow my ear drums quite as bad indoors?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
A stack of A zone hits with a bunch of 124gr HST is a whole lot better than a bunch of B and C zone hits with 55gr TAP
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]
What's a PCC ???

Really , I don't know or follow boutique acronyms.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's a PCC ???

View Quote

Pistol Caliber Carbine
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's a PCC ???

View Quote

Prothrombin complex concentrate also known as factor IX complex, is a medication made up of blood clotting factors II, IX, and X.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Cx4 92mag storm carbine sits next to dresser 24/7 with a 20rnd mag in it and a 30rnd backup.

Wife loves shooting it over her 9mm ar.
Balances better for her.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
A solid hit with a .22 Magnum beats a miss with a .50 BMG.

My home-defense weapon is a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum. The cartridge gains an additional 400 fps in the rifle barrel, and takes down 'deer-sized animals' with ease at 50 yards. A wooden-stocked lever gun also looks a lot less sinister at trial than an evil black rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Set off .45ACP’s
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Only hits count.  If your medical condition prohibits you from training with a 556 then use what you can train with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A solid hit with a .22 Magnum beats a miss with a .50 BMG.

My home-defense weapon is a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum. The cartridge gains an additional 400 fps in the rifle barrel, and takes down 'deer-sized animals' with ease at 50 yards. A wooden-stocked lever gun also looks a lot less sinister at trial than an evil black rifle.
View Quote

Please don't promote this fudd shit, you're liable to get someone hurt or killed.  Yes, I was a criminal defense attorney.  Can a "scary gun" have a minor impact?  Maybe.  Are there 1,000 other factors that will each matter far more? Yes.

The police take your [KAC] [can] [SBR] whatever, you're fucking alive, the bad guy is dead/maimed, and lived through the most traumatic experience you'll face in your life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pistol Caliber Carbine
View Quote

Thank you.
Now I know.

And that's what I will call it.

Pistol caliber carbines have been a thing for close to 100 years , maybe longer than that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
In my opinions PCC only takes a backseat to rifles for indoor HD if you expect your opponent to use soft armor. Otherwise PCC's are likely a bit quieter, less recoil, and potentially shorter and lighter. All great things.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything inside without ear pro and a can sucks, even .22 lr.

OP, what caliber PCC?
nvm asked and answered
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Another thought OP...

What can you do to make your defensive rifle more like your PCC?

I.e.... why do you shoot the pistol caliber gun so much better?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]
4.5” barrel, 22” total length and 40 rounds of 147gr 9mm that won’t sound like concussion grenades if I have to fire it in the house.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The points about penetration did factor into my thoughts. I figure the best thing I can do to limit undesired penetration into my neighbors’ home is to hit my target. LOL

We are moving from a condo to small single family house. I had a shotgun for home defense at the condo but I have an elbow issue that makes any weapon heavier than 6 lbs and recoil a significant issue. It sucks getting old.
View Quote

Old Painless did a lot of wall testing and he found out that any good caliber/load will penetrate. But the .223 tends to penetrate equal to or a little less than common pistol calibers like 9 and 45.
https://www.theboxotruth.com/
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/ Pistol calibers here
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cx4 92mag storm carbine sits next to dresser 24/7 with a 20rnd mag in it and a 30rnd backup.

Wife loves shooting it over her 9mm ar.
Balances better for her.

View Quote
This but with different mags. The ugliest, best shooting and reliable PCC out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Please don't promote this fudd shit, you're liable to get someone hurt or killed.  Yes, I was a criminal defense attorney.  Can a "scary gun" have a minor impact?  Maybe.  Are there 1,000 other factors that will each matter far more? Yes.

The police take your [KAC] [can] [SBR] whatever, you're fucking alive, the bad guy is dead/maimed, and lived through the most traumatic experience you'll face in your life.
View Quote
Really? Please explain that assertion. I'm only going by what my attorney advised me more than thirty years ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Another thought OP...

What can you do to make your defensive rifle more like your PCC?

I.e.... why do you shoot the pistol caliber gun so much better?
View Quote

I’m not entirely sure. It’s a little bit lighter. A little bit shorter. Has the same identical optic. But the accuracy difference (for me) is unbelievable. I wish I knew exactly what the main difference was.

I should take some training courses, but at the range shooting off-hand my patterns are incredible at 50 yards. Even with my not-the-greatest eyesight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
MP5 clone with 30 rounds of 135gn +P critical duty. Our exterior walls are concrete block.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#38]
You should use whatever is reliable and you shoot well.   There is some logic behind standardizing around, say, glock mags and building your home defense around it.  Pistol, carbine and common mags.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’m not entirely sure. It’s a little bit lighter. A little bit shorter. Has the same identical optic. But the accuracy difference (for me) is unbelievable. I wish I knew exactly what the main difference was.

I should take some training courses, but at the range shooting off-hand my patterns are incredible at 50 yards. Even with my not-the-greatest eyesight.
View Quote

Are the triggers the same?

You’re on the right track... you definitely need to start thinking in terms of “fighting” instead of printing groups.  Tight groups are great, but pure marksmanship is only part of the equation.

Formal training can help, simple drills with a timer can help, shooting competitively can help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In before somebody links you to one of the many examples of home invasions where the homeowner was sadly killed due to using a PCC to defend themselves. It's your funeral.

In all seriousness I don't think you'll have any problems with the PCC, as long as you're confident in its reliability.

And there may be some advantages to not having the noise and blast of a 10.5" .223 if you anticipate shooting indoors, possibly in the dark, without no earpro. But what do I know.
View Quote

Like this one?

Mom fires assault rifle to protect family during home invasion
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I usually have my SD loaded up with 124 gold dots next to my bed

My funeral I guess
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll notice those individuals that suggest that also state to get a silencer to go with it. A 11.5 with standard 5.56/short 30 caliber can will be close to or shorter than a 14.5 without a can and substantially quiter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, that puts it in perspective for me.

Thanks everyone for offering your insights. It’s a .45 caliber PCC and our new winter home is in a small community with homes very close.
View Quote

Its part of the reason I have a SAR K2 45 as my nightstand gun. It won't over penetrate (neighbors are very close), its reliable, my wife can shoot it without hesitation, and I shoot it well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Didn't assaulters use 9mm MP5's for years?  Are you expecting a lot of armored-up invaders?  

I think most people use a handgun for home defense.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Really? Please explain that assertion. I'm only going by what my attorney advised me more than thirty years ago.
View Quote

1. Your attorney 30 years ago gave you his experience over what I'm assuming is a career (20 years?).  In the last 50 years small arms and tactics have advanced.  Keep current because some bad guys do.
2. There are 5,000 variables that go into a murder trial, type of gun is 1.  What you say on social media, what you say to the police, neighbor's testimony, where shots were fired, what the political climate in your AO is, all these things matter 500x more than whether you used a 30/30 or a WASR10.  

I say this because we're both here, we're probably 99% like minded, I want you to do well in life and not get clapped by a thug with a 30rd glock fotay simply because he had more chances at hits
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I use the exact same thing, and my wife also prefers her PCC. I put a can on it too though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Go with what you hit best with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd say go for it op, indoors you should be fine unless you're expecting someone to be wearing body armor.

Sure we all know rifle ballistics win hands down and if I had to step outside (live in a rural area) I'd want the rifle, but naval special warfare deaded alot of dudes over the years with mp5s at cqb ranges. Shot placement is key if its what your comfortable with rock on!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Glorious Supreme AR pistol chambered in Dominant Superior .300blk #1 master race checking in.

But if PCC is what you shoot best, use it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Didn't assaulters use 9mm MP5's for years?  Are you expecting a lot of armored-up invaders?  

I think most people use a handgun for home defense.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.
View Quote

Odds of up armored invaders increased dramatically last year.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top