Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2020 3:42:31 PM EDT
I carry an LCP while running.  I currently carry it in a ComfortTac holster but I can’t draw very quickly.  The holster has a snap style retention strap and it takes a good bit of pressure to open it.  It’s a slow draw with opening then accessing the gun.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different CCW exercise holster?

I’ve looked at Crossbreed and the PT2 holsters.  I wonder if crossbreed will keep the gun firmly in and the PT2 seems to have a snap too.

I’m not worried about sweat.  I keep the gun oiled after every run.  So waterproofing is not a concern.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What I use - G19 pattern. Very comfortable.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
What he just posted; Hill People gear.

You need a new system not just a holster.  DeSantis makes a much cheaper one called a road runner.  Some guys I know also use a belly band.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I keep asking the same question as OP and I keep getting the HPG answer.  Wish there was a cheaper option, but it does not appear to be the case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably try a belly band.

Honestly though I'm not worried enough about it to carry while I went for a run, seems like it would be more hassle than it's worth, nothing worse than things flopping around or restricting you while trying to exercise.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I keep asking the same question as OP and I keep getting the HPG answer.  Wish there was a cheaper option, but it does not appear to be the case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Type "chest pack" into amazon, lots of similar options for a lot less money.

They are kind of like modern day fanny packs to me though, they look a little silly.

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

HOT
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been running for years with a Glock in a Galco Underwraps belly band. Works great. No slipping or flopping, very comfortable and fast enough to draw with no straps, zippers, etc. to fumble with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Hill People Gear bag. Mine holds the VP9SK and my phone. It fits right in with the other people running around town with their weighted vests or camelbacks.

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many cheaper answers.  Just google image search "chest bag".  The question is if you want the best and most comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Hill People Gear...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
People actually run with a big MOLLE bag strapped to their chest?

Belly band is simpler, quicker to draw from, much lower profile and has to be more comfortable than that thing flopping around.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Belly band is simpler, quicker to draw from, much lower profile and has to be more comfortable than that thing flopping around.
View Quote
Yes. I drive 7 minutes to my trails, and run with my Hill people gear chest pack. I bought it second hand for half price. It carries my Shield plus reload, my phone, a gel, car keys, toilet paper, and small pocket knife. Works great. You just have to figure out how to adjust it for the most comfortable position.

I rarely see another person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes. I drive 7 minutes to my trails, and run with my Hill people gear chest pack. I bought it second hand for half price. It carries my Shield plus reload, my phone, a gel, car keys, toilet paper, and small pocket knife. Works great. You just have to figure out how to adjust it for the most comfortable position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see the same dumbass cop that shines his spots at me for 20 seconds until I don’t know if I’m getting ready to fall into the ditch on the side of the road or not. So I stop, cover my face, and wait until sergeant fuck tard turns them off and passes me.

Hey dick turd! I run the same route every morning when you are sneaking home early before shift change! Stop it with the fucking lights!

I’m going to try the belly band.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I can’t imagine running with a chest rig. The few times I ran with a Camelback, it shredded my shirts on long runs. Tech fabric will last forever, unless you so something like that. A band would work better, but over 5k, I would destroy a gun with sweat, oiled or not. I’ve only wished I was carrying two or three times in over a decade of running. I’m ok leaving it at home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can’t imagine running with a chest rig. The few times I ran with a Camelback, it shredded my shirts on long runs. Tech fabric will last forever, unless you so something like that. A band would work better, but over 5k, I would destroy a gun with sweat, oiled or not. I’ve only wished I was carrying two or three times in over a decade of running. I’m ok leaving it at home.
View Quote
I can’t do a chest rig.  I have enough problems with my camel bak, but it’s a necessity for me on some runs so I deal.

My lcp gets soaked in my ComfortTac in anything longer than 3 miles.  I put some motor oil in a kitchen condiment bottle and only made a pin sized opening.  It works.  I oil it weekly and there’s no rust inside or out.

I am still looking for another holster option.  I’m really not happy with the retention method of the ComfortTac.  I wish it was magnets so you could slide it off instead of a big button that you have to pull off then unholster.  But it’s better than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m convinced a retention method is necessary.  Still using the CompTac.

This morning I was running hills at a sprinting pace and my LCP flopped out.  It was held in with the retention strap.  Only thing I can think of is it shifted under the strap.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been using a belly band for several years. A buddy of mine picked it up for me, I have no idea what brand it is. I make sure it's tight and tie my draw string tight. An LCP should be fine. I've done 6 miles with a Glock 26. Lately I carry a J-frame and a speed strip. I also slip my phone in behind it too.

I may try the HPG chest rig out but then I'll carry more stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Running with one of those chest pack things looks like a fucking mess. If one is that dedicated to it, go for it, I’d feel silly having a backpack strapped to my chest while running.

My answer has been the CanCan sport belt. It’s basically a high end belly band. It’s extremely minimalistic, and conceals excellently. I’ve carried a single stack 9 and reload on a several mile run and it was not only doable, it was comfortable! I’ve since switched to a .380 and reload though. It seriously carries so well that, even during an athletic clip, it always feels secure and never needs readjusting. I wish I’d have discovered it sooner, to think I really spent years running without carrying and this was all I had to do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI. JUST DO IT
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I got an IWB clip that attaches to the LCP and just clip it to my running trunks. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I run with a g42 in an aiwb gunners kydex holster with a single clip. I'm 5'10 170 and never have an issue. I'm typically in shorts and a tank top. I do tie my shorts inner tie also. I think it cost me about $40 roughly a year ago. I probably run 3-4 times a week. If I'm doing a longer morning run I'll also wear an ultimate direction waste water pack with a spyderco and an olight s1r baton II on either side of the water bottle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.pistolwear.com/pt-one-concealment-holster/

I run with one of these. Low profile, holds my glock 43 and spare mag. No issues with it bouncing around or moving around on me. Price isn’t bad either.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m convinced a retention method is necessary.  Still using the CompTac.

This morning I was running hills at a sprinting pace and my LCP flopped out.  It was held in with the retention strap.  Only thing I can think of is it shifted under the strap.
View Quote

I figured out that my gun didn’t flop out.  It didn’t get out of the retention strap.  It fell out the bottom of the holster/belly band because the stitching ripped and unraveled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QC93DV7/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered that one in January because I've heard a lot of people talk about running with chest packs. It was $19.99 when I bought it.

That one is very nicely made for the price. Nice zippers, wide Velcro and a nice mesh back. It's not cheap like the cheap tactical pouches.

I put a full-size 9mm with an x300 on it in there because I had a kydex shell covered in Velcro.

That was too heavy for running. I had to constantly tighten and loosen straps. Fighting between tight enough to keep it from bouncing but loose enough to allow me to breath.

It was a lot better with my J frame. If I could get my M&P sheild back from my wife it would be perfect.

When I wore the chest pack I ditched my running belt and carried my phone in the front pocket of the pack.

I've been rowing for cardio lately.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
First post nailed it, HPG chest pack

I asked the same question in this very forum long ago and received the same answer.  And they were right

Maybe I look goofy.  Who cares?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use the Hill People Gear runners version.

Grey.  

No Molle.

Stabilization strap.

I can run with it in the conservation area.  I can wear it out in bear country with a G20.

It costs more, but the other shit you see on Amazon wasn't made in America.  The HPG Runner's kit bag was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered the hpg fanny pack for running. Ill report back after a few 5-10 mile runs.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve been using the Crossbreed belly band for about a month.  I wear it around my waist and my gun stays concealed.  Gun is in the same spot at my normal carry.

The holster part of the band doesn’t move.  The gun stays retained in very well.  It’s tighter than my other myself holsters.

The gun gets just as sweaty as before.  Still no problems with rust.  I wipe it down with motor oil weekly.  

The band, minus the actual holster, gets washed 4x a week in a delicates bag in tap cold water and low heat dry cycle.  I haven’t noticed the band breaking down at all.  I don’t think it was made to be washed like this, but you’d smell me from a mile away if I didn’t wash it.  

Longest run with it so far is 1/2 marathon.  That was in 80 degree heat.  No issues with slipping or anything.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WTAW:
I’ve been using the Crossbreed belly band for about a month.  I wear it around my waist and my gun stays concealed.  Gun is in the same spot at my normal carry.

The holster part of the band doesn’t move.  The gun stays retained in very well.  It’s tighter than my other myself holsters. 

The gun gets just as sweaty as before.  Still no problems with rust.  I wipe it down with motor oil weekly.  

The band, minus the actual holster, gets washed 4x a week in a delicates bag in tap cold water and low heat dry cycle.  I haven’t noticed the band breaking down at all.  I don’t think it was made to be washed like this, but you’d smell me from a mile away if I didn’t wash it.  

Longest run with it so far is 1/2 marathon.  That was in 80 degree heat.  No issues with slipping or anything.
View Quote

Yep, belly band is the way to go for running. I don't wash mine though. I keep one for running that gets sweated up and hung out to dry and one that I use for other times when I'm not going to be sweating all over it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Yep, belly band is the way to go for running. I don't wash mine though. I keep one for running that gets sweated up and hung out to dry and one that I use for other times when I'm not going to be sweating all over it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I’ve been using the Crossbreed belly band for about a month.  I wear it around my waist and my gun stays concealed.  Gun is in the same spot at my normal carry.

The holster part of the band doesn’t move.  The gun stays retained in very well.  It’s tighter than my other myself holsters. 

The gun gets just as sweaty as before.  Still no problems with rust.  I wipe it down with motor oil weekly.  

The band, minus the actual holster, gets washed 4x a week in a delicates bag in tap cold water and low heat dry cycle.  I haven’t noticed the band breaking down at all.  I don’t think it was made to be washed like this, but you’d smell me from a mile away if I didn’t wash it.  

Longest run with it so far is 1/2 marathon.  That was in 80 degree heat.  No issues with slipping or anything.

Yep, belly band is the way to go for running. I don't wash mine though. I keep one for running that gets sweated up and hung out to dry and one that I use for other times when I'm not going to be sweating all over it.

@triburst1

Does it stink like hell?  Even my hat smells if I don’t wash it but let it air dry in the sun on the porch.    I can’t stand the smell.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]

@triburst1

Does it stink like hell?  Even my hat smells if I don’t wash it but let it air dry in the sun on the porch.    I can’t stand the smell.
View Quote

No, not at all. I wear a compression shirt under it so it gets sweaty but not covered in bacteria and dead skin cells.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, works great for me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I just ordered the hpg fanny pack for running. Ill report back after a few 5-10 mile runs.

View Quote

So far so good. I wouldn't want to do a dedicated sprint workout but its great for my normal pace. A little bounce but not bothersome for 6 mile runs so far.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

So far so good. I wouldn't want to do a dedicated sprint workout but its great for my normal pace. A little bounce but not bothersome for 6 mile runs so far.
View Quote

Interesting.

They one I have had for maybe 15 years is good for biking but drove me nuts running.  I may have to try the HPG one.  

The grey kit bag isn't obnoxious, but a fanny pack would just make people go "the old guy is still in the 80's"

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Tightened it a tiny bit and no more bounce. 6 miles yesterday and didn't even notice it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top