Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2018 12:57:53 AM EDT
Did the standard turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, etc for Thanksgiving.  Looking to do something a bit different for Christmas (did ham last year, prime rib the year before).  Maybe something like a goose, or duck, or something like that.  What dishes/recipes (entrees or sides) do you guys enjoy?  Will be feeding 8 people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Like a prime rib for x-mas with some sort of seafood.  Really like duck or goose (wild), but you would need multiples of them for a main course for 8 people.  Maybe for a side treat.  Never had raised duck/goose, but have heard they have large amount of fat to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I Smoke ducks very often for Christmas. Everyone raves about them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Roasted quail with a blackberry habanero sauce. Seasoned roasted red potatoes and glazed bacon wrapped green beans.

My test run alpha was with Cornish game hens and asparagus. My glaze was more of a purée and I’ve experimented since then with reductions and glazes. Next time I won’t try and instead opt for a crispy roasted bird with a blackberry habanero sauce instead.
Asparagus is always enjoyable but I think the glazed green beans would be better. I’ve used them in other dinner pic threads but it’s just boiled fresh beans until just tender. Then glaze with butter, soy sauce, and garlic. Wrap in bacon and Roast at 350 .
The red potatoes are a winner. They’re not too pretty in these pics. I used bacon grease and it really just made them wilt without adding too much to the dish.
I’ve done bacon grease, butter, and olive oil. I found the olive oil and heavy seasoning herbs and spice to be the best.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Rack of lamb
Pork loin roast -  heirloom if you can find it.
grilled thick cut porterhouse style pork chop
rib roast/prime rib
tenderloin of beef or pork
veal
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
crown roast?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Braised lamb shanks with roasted root veggies or mashed potatoes. Obviously you should make a pan sauce or gravy with the braising liquid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Smoked rib roast is on our plans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been doing more with the smoker.  I love cooking on it.  Keeps the oven free for everything else, provides killer flavor with the smoke, super juicy.  If you have a smoker I can relay what I did at thanksgiving.  It was my first ever bird (wife and our moms usually cook everything) and everyone raved about it.

I was at a whole foods and they had pheasant and cornish game hens....I kinda want to see how that would turn out.  I have cooked pheasant in a long time
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
im probably going to do a sous vide rib roast, and pork loin roast
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Sauerbraten, spatzle and brazed red cabbage. Throwing potato pancakes and strudel!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Creamed spinach. Something different that is easy to make and is rich and savory. Goes great with foul, ham, roast beef and of course turkey.  Here is a recipe:

READY IN: 35mins SERVES: 6-8

5 tablespoons butter (divided)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup half-and-half cream

4 ounces cream cheese

2 tablespoons minced onions

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 (10 ounce) boxes/bags frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions

In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt 3 Tbls butter.

Stir flour and salt into pan until creamed together.

Slowly stir in cream, then stir in cream cheese, increase heat to medium.

Constantly whisk until mixture becomes thick and smooth, remove from heat and set aside.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in remaining butter until transparent.

Add spinach and water to pan, reduce heat to low, cover.

Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.

Stir prepared sauce and Parmesan cheese into pan, stir until completely blended.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
We like to make Crab Karen (recipe from Arnaud's Restaurant), Steak au Poivre, and Oysters Bienville.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top