Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2021 7:34:18 PM EDT
A little over a month into eating a massive amount of calories (compared to what I am used too).

I was progressing well, jumped about 5 to 10 lbs already.  Between the strength program and the part time job of eating, I thought i was doing well.

Then this past week, I dropped a half a pound.  (215 to 214.5).

I have been using https://legionathletics.com/tools/calorie-calculator/ to calculate my cal, protein, carb and fat goals.

I exceed my protein by 20 to 30 daily, the carbs I sometimes fall short, but the total calories are still met and exceeded by 50 to 200 a day.

Mid 30s, 6'5". I have noticed a bit of a gut forming from this,  but my pants still fit no problem.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a wall, it's a flat spot.

Keep eating.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a wall, it's a flat spot.

Keep eating.
View Quote

Goddamn that sucks. I'm a big boy with a big appetite. I can and do eat entire cakes,  tubs of of ice cream.  2 bags of chips ahoy with a burger and fries.  My normal cheat meal is a large pizza, pint of ice cream and an entire chocolate cake.  

Long story short,  lost a ton of weight,  got divorced. Became a bro again.  I was forcefeeding myself to stay at 238 for a powerlifting meet. First one as an adult,  was on pace to total elite the first time out. I ended up tearing my tricep tendon a month out.

I thought i could eat.  I wasnt as good as i thought.  Id have to try and eat and meat from the last meal was still in my throat coming up.

If i bent over or twisted wrong id projectile vomit and immediately go eat to make up for it. And throw up again bc i don't have a very strong stomach.

I was strong as hell, but was listening to way to much rich piana
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Half pound uh?  Shit, I can fluctuate 10lbs a day.

And I weigh less than you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Half pound uh?  Shit, I can fluctuate 10lbs a day.

And I weigh less than you.
View Quote

Massive dump?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
What are your calorie, protein, carb, and fat goals?

What does your typical day of eating look like?

As others have said, that fluctuation isn't that bad.
I can vary 5-10 pounds in a week easily, and I methodically track everything that I eat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are your calorie, protein, carb, and fat goals?

What does your typical day of eating look like?

As others have said, that fluctuation isn't that bad.
I can vary 5-10 pounds in a week easily, and I methodically track everything that I eat.
View Quote

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

I generally exceed cal by 50 to 100 a day. Protein is roughly 215 to 230 a day. Carbs is where I fall short, generally by 30 ton50 grams. Fat is generally between 83 to 90.

I use MyFitnesspal to track it,  and by calorie amount I am usually over by a little.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

I generally exceed cal by 50 to 100 a day. Protein is roughly 215 to 230 a day. Carbs is where I fall short, generally by 30 ton50 grams. Fat is generally between 83 to 90.

I use MyFitnesspal to track it,  and by calorie amount I am usually over by a little.
View Quote

Looks pretty decent to me. I wouldn't sweat it.

Keep tracking for a while and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

View Quote

Insert Matthew McConaughey saying, "Those are rookie numbers."
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

I'm trying to do it cleanly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Eat more food.  Temporarily adjust your routine in some minor way.  New/different movements, higher reps, etc.  For two weeks or so.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

I would eat 5-7k calories a day when I was 217 and trying to gain. All clean and I could not break 217.

Now 10 years later Im 230lbs
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, you said you've been doing this for a month. In the scheme of things thats a very small amount of time. Dont get discouraged.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would eat 5-7k calories a day when I was 217 and trying to gain. All clean and I could not break 217.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

There is no way I could do 5k. I hit 3400 and 3500 now and I don't have enough time in a day to eat anymore.

If I get to a point where I need that much, I'll just cut and maintain a lower BF at the expense of the bulking results.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is no way I could do 5k. I hit 3400 and 3500 now and I don't have enough time in a day to eat anymore.

If I get to a point where I need that much, I'll just cut and maintain a lower BF at the expense of the bulking results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

This is why I always laugh when people think they eat a lot.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal 3350
Protein 208
Carb 437
Fat 83

I've always been a light eater that scales with my activity level. My body was just really good at only wanting what it needed. I thought I ate a ton of food.

In reality I would wake up, eat some toast and maybe some milk then go to class. Grab a sandwich for lunch and then hit practice, then eat a pretty big supper, usually with seconds, I never ate dessert, and still don't, just never got into the habit.

Once I got serious about gaining weight I realized I was eating like 2000-2500 calories most days if I was lucky, with most of that being supper.

Learning to regularly eat over 3500 calories was a real struggle for me, because I just wasn't hungry.

Now I make it a point to pack a lot of food for lunch just so I can snack my way into lots of calories. I was crawling around under a porch all day laying stone on a column, now that I've learned how to eat I was ready to gorge myself by lunch time.

I should probably bulk again, but last time I did I just got too fat. I've been pretty consistently gaining a few pounds a year for the last few years, and that's fine with me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Update on your progress?

Don’t stress about half a pound.  Don’t be a slave to the scale, it’ll fuck your head up.  I have fluctuated 7lbs overnight.   Try something simple like once a week, after you wake up, on the same day(Sunday’s for me)

What’s the reason for your bulk?  

What’s your workout like?
Any cardio?
Heavy, Low reps of compound lifts?

I went from 235 to 255 in two months over the winter.  Unfortunately it came with some increased bf, but the deadlifts are a whole lot easier now and none of my nice shirts fit
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Pushing over 218 now.

Very little cardio, which is killing me a little inside but I cannot literally eat anymore during the day to eat the excess of calories I would burn.

Goal is 225 to 230, then cut down to 200 to 205.

See how I feel or look then,  and reevaluate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
There’s always test and dbol
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

Very little cardio, which is killing me a little inside but I cannot literally eat anymore during the day to eat the excess of calories I would burn.

View Quote
Do you mind saying how you plan to cut?

diet?
cardio/HIIT?
diet+cardio/HIIT?

I ask because I cut my caloric intake back too much (I guess).  I wanted to lean out some.  I had no strength in the gym in the mornings which impacted strength training.  Didn't see much fat loss.  Best I can tell, I managed to kill my metabolism.

I started eating tuna around 6pm every evening and my energy levels came back, strength training improved, muscle growth, still nagging pockets of fat (although they were reduced some).
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

diet?
cardio/HIIT?
diet+cardio/HIIT?

I ask because I cut my caloric intake back too much (I guess).  I wanted to lean out some.  I had no strength in the gym in the mornings which impacted strength training.  Didn't see much fat loss.  Best I can tell, I managed to kill my metabolism.  

I started eating tuna around 6pm every evening and my energy levels came back, strength training improved, muscle growth, still nagging pockets of fat (although they were reduced some).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

diet?
cardio/HIIT?
diet+cardio/HIIT?

Diet, cardio and probably HIIT.

Are you watching your marcos? The key part i was told was not to reduce your protein, but reduce carbs and fat to reduce calories.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Salt intake and how hydrated you are will put some big swings in your weight....

I always weight myself first thing in the AM as taking a piss - best base line....

Red
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
We weigh the Sam's and I'm only 6 foot.

Just get some icecream. And then eat it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Switch from a dirty bulking diet to clean bulking diet so you aren't fighting against all the garbage.  Your gains might slow but they will be more lean.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Switch from a dirty bulking diet to clean bulking diet so you aren't fighting against all the garbage.  Your gains might slow but they will be more lean.
View Quote

I am clean bulking.

Using Myfitnessapp to track everything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We weigh the Sam's and I'm only 6 foot.

Just get some icecream. And then eat it.
View Quote

Exactly.

I’m 6 foot (it’s really 5’11”) and also weigh 215.

At 6’5” you need to come to terms with the fact that you’re going to be 265-275 if you, indeed, want to be big and strong.

You don’t get big and strong by eating 3500 calories a day. You get big and strong by squatting and deadlifting and then eating two double cheeseburgers and a milk shake.

Get big and strong first, then worry about leaning out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are you watching your marcos? The key part i was told was not to reduce your protein, but reduce carbs and fat to reduce calories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

diet?
cardio/HIIT?
diet+cardio/HIIT?

I weigh 200lbs.  Lean in the legs and arms, minor love handles, some minor fat on the chest.  Pretty much where most 43 yr old males store it.

I do watch my carbs.  I keep them at 50 or fewer grams a day.

Fat intake I don't measure, but i m not eating fatty foods.  I do put a little mayo on my chicken breasts on occasion. I do eat hard, sliced cheese from time to time.  Love almonds.

My protein intake is between 100-150g a day.

Strength training every morning.

I need to do a better job of really writing everything down.  I don't snack so that's not the issue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I weigh 200lbs.  Lean in the legs and arms, minor love handles, some minor fat on the chest.  Pretty much where most 43 yr old males store it.

Fat intake I don't measure, but i m not eating fatty foods.  I do put a little mayo on my chicken breasts on occasion. I do eat hard, sliced cheese from time to time.  Love almonds.

I need to do a better job of really writing everything down.  I don't snack so that's not the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

diet?
cardio/HIIT?
diet+cardio/HIIT?

I am putting away 210 to 225g of protein a day, over 400 g of carbs and under 100g of fat.

Calories are one thing, what type of calories is another.

I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, but most food have some kind of fat in it, even if it's small. I'd suggest sitting down and measuring out everything you have eaten in one day and see how it adds up.

For example;

I never realized how much sodium I had consumed. I kept to Italian dressings for salad and was floored how much sodium was in one serving (2 tbsp).

Even bread has a lot of sodium.  Normally you want to keep it within 2000 to 3000, depending on your health and family history. I was probably easily pushing 4000 plus.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am clean bulking.

View Quote

If you put on a little fat it makes gaining muscle much easier in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you put on a little fat it makes gaining muscle much easier in my experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am clean bulking.

If I get a lil extra, its not the end of the world.

I am just avoiding the processed food.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If I get a lil extra, its not the end of the world.

I am just avoiding the processed food.
View Quote

Get organic icecream.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
6'6" 270 currently.  

I've been hitting 225 grams of protein per day.   Not really worrying about other macros.    I do eat carbs pre and post workout.   But I'm not avoiding them.

I need to dial the nutrition down and cut.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

View Quote

When you cut. Don’t diet. Just add HIIT. In fact do nothing but that.

I stopped bulking and cutting a long time ago. I “bulk” all the time. Judging by your weight/height you should too. When or if I feel motivated enough to go sub 13%, I just go retard on the training. Even when I dropped to 5% (calipers) my calorie intake went as high as 3100 and only as low as 2600 depending on the target muscle group that day. Besides, why the fuck would anyone put all that effort into developing the ability to consume vast quantities of food then cut it down just to have to go through the struggle of getting used to that volume all over again? Sounds stupid. Until you get to where you’re pretty happy with how you look just find the happy medium where you maintain the fat you have while adding muscle. If you’ve got 30lbs of fat that you keep and add a pound of muscle every month, body fat % goes down without having to even try to lose it.

And you’re wrong. You can always eat more. You just haven’t been doing this long enough. My wife had some amazing London broil for when I got home. Ate 12 oz of that along with rice and a salad. And that’s after I ate 4 full meals at work. And the breakfast. I also grabbed a sandwich at Dunkin when I got my morning coffee. Close to 350gr of protein today and I’ll probably eat again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I stopped bulking and cutting a long time ago. I “bulk” all the time. Judging by your weight/height you should too. When or if I feel motivated enough to go sub 13%, I just go retard on the training. Even when I dropped to 5% (calipers) my calorie intake went as high as 3100 and only as low as 2600 depending on the target muscle group that day. Besides, why the fuck would anyone put all that effort into developing the ability to consume vast quantities of food then cut it down just to have to go through the struggle of getting used to that volume all over again? Sounds stupid. Until you get to where you’re pretty happy with how you look just find the happy medium where you maintain the fat you have while adding muscle. If you’ve got 30lbs of fat that you keep and add a pound of muscle every month, body fat % goes down without having to even try to lose it.

And you’re wrong. You can always eat more. You just haven’t been doing this long enough. My wife had some amazing London broil for when I got home. Ate 12 oz of that along with rice and a salad. And that’s after I ate 4 full meals at work. And the breakfast. I also grabbed a sandwich at Dunkin when I got my morning coffee. Close to 350gr of protein today and I’ll probably eat again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pushing over 218 now.

Listen, I bow to your ability to make eating a full time job and not hate it.

When I am on shift, it is very, very hard to continue to eat. I literally have to plan my meals around what shift I am working and what kind of activity I might run into.

I was looking forward to having a break from eating so much for a bit while I cut, but now with your post...

What is your HIIT workout?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When I am on shift, it is very, very hard to continue to eat. I literally have to plan my meals around what shift I am working and what kind of activity I might run into.

I was looking forward to having a break from eating so much for a bit while I cut, but now with your post...

View Quote

High intensity interval training.

I use a rogue air bike and rower.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what it is, but what exercises does he have.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doh.   Totally misread your comment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Umm...All if it? Remember when posted something in your other thread and you were like "no thanks sounds like BDSM"? Today I did 28 sets for chest and 32 sets* for biceps in 45 minutes. My rest period is walking to another station or loading weight. Watch says my heartrate hit 182bpm.

Chest
1] Incline bench 4 x 12-12-10-8
   Superset with underhand cable curls 4x10
2] Flat Bench 4x12-10-10-8
   Superset with incline wide grip bench 4x10
3] Slight incline dumbell press 3x10
4] Machine press 3x12-10-8
   Machine dip 3x12
   Machine flye 3x12

Bicep
1] DB curl circuit. Pyramid. Up from 25's to 85's in 10lb increments. 6-8 reps per arm at each weight. Then back down from 75's to 15's with each set to failure. *14 sets if you break it down
2] Barbell drag curls 4x10
   Superset with barbell reverse curls 4x10
3] DB Hammer curl 3xFailure
   Superset with DB spider curls 3x12
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Umm...All if it? Remember when posted something in your other thread and you were like "no thanks sounds like BDSM"? Today I did 28 sets for chest and 32 sets* for biceps in 45 minutes. My rest period is walking to another station or loading weight. Watch says my heartrate hit 182bpm.

Chest
   Machine dip 3x12
   Machine flye 3x12

Bicep
1] DB curl circuit. Pyramid. Up from 25's to 85's in 10lb increments. 6-8 reps per arm at each weight. Then back down from 75's to 15's with each set to failure. *14 sets if you break it down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chest
   Machine dip 3x12
   Machine flye 3x12

Bicep

I always thought HIIT was more cardio based. Apparently not
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure cardio is just moving your muscles non stop until your heart and lungs hurt. It's more fun with weight...and sex. Hmm...weighted sex? I have an idea!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pretty sure cardio is just moving your muscles non stop until your heart and lungs hurt. It's more fun with weight...and sex. Hmm...weighted sex? I have an idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your watch of choice? (Might have asked you this b4)
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What is your watch of choice? (Might have asked you this b4)
View Quote

I just use an old Galaxy I got years ago. I can't even remember the model. I haven't broke it yet so no sense in replacing it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll give HIIT.  

Goal is 100 burpees in 10 minutes wearing plate carrier and helmet.  

I do 10 every minute.   I'm up to 60 in 6 minutes.    I'm going to try 70 next session.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll give HIIT.  

Goal is 100 burpees in 10 minutes wearing plate carrier and helmet.  

I do 10 every minute.   I'm up to 60 in 6 minutes.    I'm going to try 70 next session.  

View Quote

Challenge#2 for the week
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Challenge#2 for the week
View Quote

Make sure you are wearing 20# carrier with steel plates or just one with load out.   I just use my steel plates to not have all the shit flopping around.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Make sure you are wearing 20# carrier with steel plates or just one with load out.   I just use my steel plates to not have all the shit flopping around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Challenge#2 for the week

I'll cheat and use my 12lbs carrier. Although I think my interceptor with plates is close to 20lbs... I guess I'll use that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll cheat and use my 12lbs carrier. Although I think my interceptor with plates is close to 20lbs... I guess I'll use that.
View Quote

My other carrier is 10 I think.  After using the 20 lb one the other one doesn't feel there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top