Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2022 12:29:45 PM EDT
Has anyone dealt with this? Thinking surgery is the way to go, Dr. is saying physical therapy. Not clue how big the tear is, all Dr. Said was he would do PT first.

Things I like to do:

Heavy squats
Mountain bicycling
Surfing

Also. I do tree work for $. So another heavy labor type thing on it.

Will rehab get me there or?

Paging Dr. ARFCOM
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the PT for it 10  years ago and it seemed to work. I am physically active but but do avoid heavy squats in the gym for fear of re-injury.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
PT first is a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I hurt my left hip somehow doing deadlifts.  It was my wifes first time to go to the gym with me and I did a little show boating and picked up my normal one rep max 3 times.  I don't know what I did but it took 2-3 months to be normal.  I hobbled for a good month.  Then it was just sore and for some reason barbell squats made it flare up.  I can do anything now with zero pain.  I never stopped working out I just did less weight and more reps and focused on form.  I am actually stronger now than when it happened a few months ago on both my squats and deadlifts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Labral tear in my left hip. 4-5 years ago. Doc told me that repair isn't always successful and a bad/failed repair could lead to a hip replacement sooner than I wanted. He suggested PT.

I did pretty intensive PT with an amazing therapist and got back to squatting and DL with no real pain. It's not perfect but I'm functional and still do run and guns and lift 2-3 times per week. I was mid forties when I hurt myself so my age factored in too. Had I been younger I may have gone for surgery, had I been older may have gone for the replacement.

I always want to do PT before getting cut on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I got this problem right now.   Bicycling injury.  Strangely enough, light cycling doesn’t bother it much but shit like household chores picking shit up off the floor aggravates it the most.

I did PT prior to knowing the problem (MRI found it) and that PT or most stretching just aggravates it!  Now I have the proper diagnosis I might try PT again.

Looking at arthroscopic surgery later this year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep had one for several years. Any long hike and I would come home with terrible groin pain and stiffness.

I had it repaired last year, so far doing well, but I also know that any future retear will likely mean a total hip

Recovery not bad, but I was using crutches and had a hip brace for 3 weeks
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep had one for several years. Any long hike and I would come home with terrible groin pain and stiffness.

I had it repaired last year, so far doing well, but I also know that any future retear will likely mean a total hip

Recovery not bad, but I was using crutches and had a hip brace for 3 weeks
View Quote

Hmm did you try PT prior? Everything I'm seeing on the web is like a 6-9month recovery which is A LONG TIME!

Side note: I'm 30.

Appreciate the insight guys
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the harm in doing PT? You lose time if it doesn't work. You're out the money if it doesn't work. Overall, extremely low risk.

What is the harm in doing surgery? Risks include, but aren't limited to: death, blood loss, infection, blood clot, neurovascular injury, scar (cheloid) formation, stiffness and continued symptoms. Many of the risks are very small (death), but not zero. Generally, starting with non-invasive care is a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top