Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2021 5:40:56 PM EDT
Anyone have experience or go here, there children, relatives? Any feedback would be appreciated on your thoughts of the school.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I tell everyone that Hillsdale College is the alma mater I WISH I had  

They are a great school, that teaches every student about the Constitution....in fact they have their Constitution 101 and other useful courses online for anyone to take for free; https://lp.hillsdale.edu/online-course-catalog/?sc=MK319SO1

We tend to go there at least annually, to some event or concert.......and we even have Hillsdale in our will.

So yeah, it's safe to say we're big fans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've watched a few of their videos

https://youtube.com/c/hillsdalecollege

What higher education should be.

Kristi Noem, Liberty and the Pandemic | National Leadership Seminar
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I watch their videos and get their Imprimis newsletter.

From what I know and have seen, they do education as it should be done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
All the posts above mine are correct.  I have been a financial supporter of Hillsdale for many years.

I did not go there.  It's not a science school, it's a liberal arts school in the best sense of the word.

Check out their numerous online video course.  College level stuff for free.  Grow your mind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I would 100% have my kid watch their videos and study their materials.

I would not send my kid there in this day and age. Putting them on your resume puts you on the list
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I went there.  It seemed to have drifted quite a bit in the last few years, with a frankly ridiculous graduate program in politics, a gigantic chapel, and a bunch of expensive new buildings. They have roughly the same amount of students as when I went, so all of the new stuff seems unnecessary, and just an excuse to extract money from rich alumni.

I will say the education is good, and you certainly can get science degrees there.  My college girlfriend is a fairly prestigious physician now, for example.  I have a job that definitely uses my BS degree, and I had no trouble in graduate school.

As far as being conservative leaning, this really only comes out a couple places.  You have a few required classes (2 semesters of history, plus I think they added another class since I was there) that are definitely conservative, and well taught from their own books/collections of source materials. You have to take a couple CCA seminars where you hear speakers and then write a paper, those are open to the public, and many of them are really good.  Most of them are conservative leaning, some of them are not. In a given year, they usually have a couple that are worthless, but since you only need to take two, you can dodge the dumber ones. The biggest difference is that there is zero required SJW BS classes. You will not be forced to learn about lesbian interpretive dance or whatever.

Hillsdale is best when they stay out of politics and religion, IMHO.

I can't speak to student life there now, though I drive by it pretty often and they look happy enough.  Definitely don't make the assumption that since its conservative, there's not normal college hijinks. This being a Saturday night, I can guarantee that there's some Hillsdale students drinking beer, vaping MI's legal weed and having sex.

I actually started lurking here while I was a student, and I know that a number of my college friends are arfcommers.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
They USED to have gun shows there. Sad that they quit doing that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I was an adjunct teacher there for a couple of years.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great place.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I forgot about those.  They did that pretty briefly, maybe 2003-7.  

They do have a decent range/shooting facility.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would not send my kid there in this day and age. Putting them on your resume puts you on the list
View Quote
I think that depends heavily on the career field and if you get a subsequent professional or graduate degree.  It, to my knowledge, has never hurt me, or any of the alumni I know.

If you want to take your BA and go work for CNN as an intern...maybe not so much. A BS in the sciences that you're going to graduate school with, it won't matter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was pissed when they quit, hit that, stop by the fairgrounds for a bit for their auction and flea market, go see my brother for a bit and then hit North Adams road on the way home and stop at the Mennonite Bakery. Made for a very nice Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was pissed when they quit, hit that, stop by the fairgrounds for a bit for their auction and flea market, go see my brother for a bit and then hit North Adams road on the way home and stop at the Mennonite Bakery. Made for a very nice Saturday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oddly I never went to the fair ground auction as a student, but afterwards it was one of my favorite places to take people that had grown up in the city to introduce them to rural michigan. This was especially fun on dates.

One of the last times I did this, someone had shown up with a trailer home that had been victim to a methlab explosion.  It had a hole about 8' in diameter in roof and side, and had mostly burned out. It sold for $75 to some dude that planned on fixing it and living it.  You can basically drag anything there and they'll sell it, from a mallard duck you caught in a pond to meth trailers.

That's something else to point out about Hillsdale County for prospective students: its a small town that's nice, surrounded by some fairly poor rural areas.  On grass lake road, there used to be a guy with a trailer that had a full sized house hot water heater in his yard in the summer, on cinder blocks, hooked to a 20lb propane tank, with two garden hoses running to his trailer.  I have no clue what he did in the winter, but I'm guessing he didn't have hot water.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I would think in 2021 Joe Biden land, showing up with a Hillsdale degree would be the job interview kiss of death unless everyone on GD owned the company.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would think in 2021 Joe Biden land, showing up with a Hillsdale degree would be the job interview kiss of death unless everyone on GD owned the company.
View Quote
I would bet a solid 75% of people would have utterly no clue what Hillsdale was.  That definitely has been my experience.

ETA: Even locally in OH across the line, half the people think that it is this place: http://hillsdalebeautycollege.com/

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My niece interviewed there recently and is hoping for an acceptance letter. She told me their admissions are up bigly
this year, and itvhas became quite competitive to get in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I tell everyone that Hillsdale College is the alma mater I WISH I had  

They are a great school, that teaches every student about the Constitution....in fact they have their Constitution 101 and other useful courses online for anyone to take for free; https://lp.hillsdale.edu/online-course-catalog/?sc=MK319SO1

We tend to go there at least annually, to some event or concert.......and we even have Hillsdale in our will.

So yeah, it's safe to say we're big fans.
View Quote

My 9 year old daughter goes to a private school that is loosely affiliated with Hillsdale. Technically they’re not a charter school but close. She already wants to go there for college. We’re starting a shooting team and Hillsdale has one of the best collegiate facilities in the nation for colleges.

They love liberty and freedom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife graduated from Hillsdale. She loved it other than being in a fairly small town.  She doesn’t shy away from letting people know.  She has a Hillsdale license plate frame on her car.
She is now a surgeon.  Her medical school, residency and fellowship were all in very liberal cities.  She enjoyed calling out of the the liberal BS at those institutions.  I knew she was the one when she suggested we go to a gun range for our first date
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Just found something about Hillsdale College that I like very much. It's long, but well worth the read. It's on the WSJ site, but I'm not going to link to that POS site and give it clicks. This was sent to me as a PDF so I copy/pasted it here.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I get their newsletter every month, and currently work at a college and working there has always seemed like a dream job. Unfortunately, almost every college has only one or two of my position so someone has to retire or die, I imagine. That’s the only way I could see anyone leaving a gig there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Erik Prince is an alumni.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am glad you were not my dad.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#22]
At Hillsdale they will receive a classical education that will well prepare them for whatever career they choose to follow.

If you're not already subscribed to Imprimis, you should be. Click HERE. This month's edition, Orwell's 1984 and Today, is an eyeopener for those who haven't been keeping up with what's happening.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exact opposite in my opinion. We need more students attending and more Hillsdales!

I’m hoping my daughter will still want to go when she is older. She’s only 9 now but is aware of Hillsdale as her classical school is affiliated per my other post.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#24]
My BIL taught there. We went for a visit and I sat in on one of his classes (Eng lit).

It's a beautiful campus and all the kids we met were normal looking kids (as opposed to some of the crazy shit you see at some colleges). They were very polite, well spoken, non-sjw kids.

I enjoyed my time there. That being said, there wasn't much to do, especially of a cultural nature. That was one of the reasons he left to teach elsewhere. He had young kids of his own that my SIL wanted to expose to museums, music, etc. They home schooled their kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top