Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 2:43:53 AM EDT
My catalytic converters was going out in my 06 Nissan Xterra.

It has 112,000 miles. In this state a new catalytic converter is easily $1,000+

Screw that! I bought an 02 bypass sensor to put between the catalytic converter and 02 sensor.

My emissions code disappeared. Took my car for smog and it passed with flying colors.

Well I e lose some mpg. Makes sense because my oxygen sensor cannot detect how much oxygen is in the exhaust so it can’t tell the computer how much oxygen to mix in the fuel for fuel efficiency.

So my question is would switching to 91 octane fuel help bump up the mpg since my oxygen sensor can’t detect and signal to mix air/fuel accordingly?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You will lose a little bit of MPG by losing the ability of the O2 sensors to make the engine run lean when more fuel is not required. Upping octane won't really have any effect, plus I think that engine is only like 9.7:1 or so, so should be fine on 87 without detonation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends. Does the car have more than one O2 sensor? If so, the one closest to the engine (upstream) controls fuel, the one at, or after the cat (downstream) determines the efficiency of the catalytic converter, and triggers the check engine loght.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will lose a little bit of MPG by losing the ability of the O2 sensors to make the engine run lean when more fuel is not required. Upping octane won't really have any effect, plus I think that engine is only like 9.7:1 or so, so should be fine on 87 without detonation.
View Quote
This.  It should run rich.  A lean engine is more likely to detonate, which is what higher octane fuel is meant to prevent.  You would be throwing money away, and probably giving up power, and making your mileage worse.

Why would it cost $1000?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Depends. Does the car have more than one O2 sensor? If so, the one closest to the engine (upstream) controls fuel, the one at, or after the cat (downstream) determines the efficiency of the catalytic converter, and triggers the check engine loght.
View Quote
X2

That new of a car should have at least one upstream and one down stream for a 4 cylinder with one converter.  Maybe two up stream if it is a V6, and two down stream if it has dual converters.

OP: Which one did you modify?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to modify the sensor past the carry,  not the one before.  If you do it correctly the will be no loss of mpg as the upstream sensor feeds back for af ratio.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure on your exhaust setup but what about finding a wrecked or someone parting out this exact car and buy the cat setup off them?  typically the exhaust is secitoned meaning exhaust manifold connects to a catted pipe section that then connects to the main exhaust running the lenght of the vehicle.  I sell those for trucks all day long for $100 ready to bolt in for people doing what you are doing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.  It should run rich.  A lean engine is more likely to detonate, which is what higher octane fuel is meant to prevent.  You would be throwing money away, and probably giving up power, and making your mileage worse.

Why would it cost $1000?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it cost $1000?  
California have very strict emissions standards. They have a more platinum than catalytic converters in the other 49 states.

Go to autobarn.com and type in a catalytic converter. You can get one for $150 but it will say not for sale in California.

Democrats...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
X2

That new of a car should have at least one upstream and one down stream for a 4 cylinder with one converter.  Maybe two up stream if it is a V6, and two down stream if it has dual converters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
X2

I modified the driver side rear 02 sensor. The rear sensor, furthest away from the engine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I also read on YouTube that sometimes removing your catalytic converter and washing it in dish soap water solution over night will clean the dirt/debris enough to not trip your emissions.

Scotty Kilmer?

Sometimes, losing 5% efficiency is enough.

Worth a try i guess. Starts at 1:40

How to Clean Your Car's Catalytic Converter using Lacquer Thinner
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
California have very strict emissions standards. They have a more platinum than catalytic converters in the other 49 states.

Go to autobarn.com and type in a catalytic converter. You can get one for $150 but it will say not for sale in California.

Democrats...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it cost $1000?  

Democrats...
That's what I figured, but wouldn't a non-ca converter  be better than a bypassed, plugged up converter?  Buy one from the free world.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's what I figured, but wouldn't a non-ca converter  be better than a bypassed, plugged up converter?  Buy one from the free world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it cost $1000?  

Democrats...
It would, you’re correct but I’d have to switch it every other year with the old one to pass SMOG.

Also, nobody will sell me an out of state converter. I’d have to drive out of state to pick one up.

The $5 bypass is fine, at a loss of 1-2 mpg.

I know in time I’d save more by buying the catalytic converter but I’ll be in a new vehicle in 3 years and I don’t drive it enough to warrant that choice.

Doing some quick calculations, @ 9,000 mi a year and 12mpg vs 14mpg it would take 5-6 years to break even.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top