Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2020 2:52:49 AM EDT
My son is taking AP physics in high school. It is a challenge for him. He has not taken calculus or trig yet so that in itself makes it a challenge even though it is not calculus based physics. He was totally lost until I gave him a primer on trig.

Tonight he wanted me to help him with his homework which was projectiles, travel times, distances, heights, etc. I have a math/physics minor and thought piece of cake. We got through it but damn it is crazy how something so basic and simple in the physics world racked my brain after being out of school twenty years and not using it regularly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
lol brother that is totally what I have been going through these past 6 weeks or so. I have never taken a physics class or calculus class in my life I think Algebra II is the highest math class I had taken prior to this class.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Physics without calculus is a nightmare of memorizing equations.

With calculus you can easily derive all the equations as needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but I forgot all the calculus too.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly a few derivatives and simple integrals over time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Galileo did it without calculus

or Algebra

he did it with Geometry
View Quote

He had years to do it, though, not 90 minutes on an exam.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My son is taking AP physics in high school. It is a challenge for him. He has not taken calculus or trig yet so that in itself makes it a challenge even though it is not calculus based physics. He was totally lost until I gave him a primer on trig.

Tonight he wanted me to help him with his homework which was projectiles, travel times, distances, heights, etc. I have a math/physics minor and thought piece of cake. We got through it but damn it is crazy how something so basic and simple in the physics world racked my brain after being out of school twenty years and not using it regularly.
View Quote

I’m guessing those problems occur in a vacuum as well.

It gets much harder, and more useful, once you add the atmospheric effects.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The math blows up when you add in drag to projectile motion.
Especially when the drag is a function of speed in the gas/fluid.
As you approach the speed of sound in the fluid you are traveling in their is a singularity at Mach 1.

The low velocity Bernoulli equations fail.
The fluid is no longer 'incompressible.'
Standing pressure waves (AKA 'Mach waves') can form.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, AP Physics 1 and 2 all exist in a vacuum and usually neglect other factors like friction, aside for the unit on friction.

Quoted:
The math blows up when you add in drag to projectile motion.
Especially when the drag is a function of speed in the gas/fluid.
As you approach the speed of sound in the fluid you are traveling in their is a singularity at Mach 1.

The low velocity Bernoulli equations fail.
the fluid is not longer 'incompressible.'
Standing pressure waves (AKA 'Mach waves') can form.

This is my fear for college physics next year. I hope it'll go well (or at least not terrible).
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m fucked if my kid is smarter than me and takes AP physics
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I know the days of physical textbooks are ending (if not already ended), but being able to flip back through a textbook to refresh your memory and quickly look through reference materials is invaluable. I still have textbooks from college at my desk. I find that when I see things in the same format I learned them it is faster to look through and it comes back faster.

Kids these days will have the world at their fingertips but I don't think they will be able to "relearn" forgotten materials quickly like older generations could.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top