Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
We have an Elcan M145 that was mounted to our M240 for at least two years. I would catch the RSO's switching it out for the Aimpoint PRO and it's the little things that set me off  After asking for the umpteenth time why they keep "taking off my damn optics" one of the armorers explained to me that customers can't figure out how to use the reticle and don't know where to shoot. He continued to explain that if it just had a red dot or at least a cross hair, they could comprehend how to use it but customers shoot down the target holders on a regular basis.

I didn't understand why the RSO's were "sneaking around behind my back" and swapping the optics but once explained, I agreed 100% with them. They just didn't say anything to me because they know I am all about the "looks" of the weapon just as much as it functioning properly.

The Elcan continued to function properly until we took it off the line. Hopefully we will be able to use it later when we open our outdoor range with the room to use it (167 acres).

V/R

Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

Run an elcan and get back to us! Would love to see how it holds up. Of course I would pay for this but alas, I'm broke.  

Great write up

We have an Elcan M145 that was mounted to our M240 for at least two years. I would catch the RSO's switching it out for the Aimpoint PRO and it's the little things that set me off  After asking for the umpteenth time why they keep "taking off my damn optics" one of the armorers explained to me that customers can't figure out how to use the reticle and don't know where to shoot. He continued to explain that if it just had a red dot or at least a cross hair, they could comprehend how to use it but customers shoot down the target holders on a regular basis.

I didn't understand why the RSO's were "sneaking around behind my back" and swapping the optics but once explained, I agreed 100% with them. They just didn't say anything to me because they know I am all about the "looks" of the weapon just as much as it functioning properly.

The Elcan continued to function properly until we took it off the line. Hopefully we will be able to use it later when we open our outdoor range with the room to use it (167 acres).

V/R

Ron
Thanks!

Love the V/R. Which branch were you in?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, how well did your line optics hold their zeros?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I always enjoy reading these threads. Real world application of practical uses for making some decisions.

This one makes my glad I chose an Aimpoint and confirms that next will be a Trijicon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
OP your reply from EOTech doesn't surprise me in the least. I have a 553 that has less than 250 rounds on it and lost it's nitrogen purge a few years back, this thing mostly sat in the safe and was not abused in any way whatsoever. Called up EOTech to ask about repair since the optic was absolutely useless in daylight. Explained the situation that optic was hardly used at all and I still had the original box. Still cost me $80 to ship it back and have it repurged/repaired. No more EOTechs for me, that was lesson enough. If it will go bad just sitting and they won't stand behind it, I'll do business with companies like Aimpoint and Trijicon who will stand behind their product.

Buy once, cry once certainly does apply...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Ron, I have been following all of your high round count posts closely. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for putting in all of this effort for us. The info you post here is absolutely invaluable and we are very fortunate to be the recipients of this info. There are few places in the world that even have the ability to collect this kind of info, and I hope we all realize how lucky we are to be able to see it. Thanks man!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice write-up.

Why is this in GD?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HarrishMasher:
Ron, I have been following all of your high round count posts closely. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for putting in all of this effort for us. The info you post here is absolutely invaluable and we are very fortunate to be the recipients of this info. There are few places in the world that even have the ability to collect this kind of info, and I hope we all realize how lucky we are to be able to see it. Thanks man!
View Quote

So much this.  I think I'll forgo paying the rake next time I get out there and shoot stuff instead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#8]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
This is one of the most excellent contributions to the site in a long, long time.  His thread in AR Discussions is awesome, discussing real longevity of the AR15 in high volume, full auto fire to the tune of tens of thousands of rounds put through the guns before having to replace barrels and bolts.
View Quote

Can someone link his AR discussions, my search fu is teh suck.

ETA:   Great thread OP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the information, and the time it takes to collect and post it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, as mentioned, it would be awesome to see how long the popular "budget" optics last.

Bushnell TRS-25
Vortex Sparc, Strikefire
Primary Arms advanced series micros
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice info, probably the best technical information GD has seen in months.

What about trying some of the more popular "mid-range" red dots on rentals?  Like maybe some Primary Arms, Vortex, etc?  

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I will try and answer questions but I ask that you please don't call the main number and ask about precise details. We are at almost 70 employees as of Friday and the range is busy from opening to close. I don't have the time like I used to unless you catch me in the range. As for David, he's busy running and managing the employees over at New Frontier Armory's machine shop so he isn't able to take calls about optics, M4's, AK's or other other weapon platforms either. We are still huge "gun guys" and if you catch us in the store we will be glad to give you a little tour of the armory, the vault and where everything happens.
View Quote

Wow.. sounds like a few basement dwellers may have been calling you up asking about their obscure pet gun/accessory. This is why we can't have nice things. Leave him be and let the guy and his team do their jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to make all these threads. I have read all of them with great interest.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
This belongs in the Optics Forum.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HarrishMasher:
View Quote

I've said it in other threads and I will just say again that being a guy who still gets anxiety on spending on high-dollar items, I wish there was something like this back when I had to save EVERY penny and make sure mortgage, insurance, school clothes, kids lunch, gas and every other bill in life was paid before I got to spend anything on myself. I was one of those guys that would go to the gun store 3-4 days of the week and (sadly) take time and ask every question under the sun about a product. I always bought locally because I felt compelled to "repay" the time I took from the store and besides, I didn't want to be that guy that comes in NEVER buys

There were many things I could never afford and when friends were purchasing high-end 1911's, I purchased a $325 Rock Island Armory that I still have to this day. I would have felt better about the purchase knowing that my Armscor/Rock Island 1911's run just as good on our range as the high-dollar models. Everybody told me they were crap guns made in the Philippines and I wasting my money. I would piece together my AR's with a few bucks here and a few buck there without the wife knowing and again, if I knew that $100 barrel from JT Distributing would shoot just as long as a Daniel Defense or Colt, I guess I would have felt like I was getting my dollars worth. I just accepted what I was told and that "barrels don't last past 20,000 rounds" and "Rock Islands are crap" and the various other Gospel that gets passed down generation to generation.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I would also be very interested in any BCG failures and trigger failures, specifically any Geissele, if you had any.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting, as always.  Cool stuff.  Quick question:

After several months of use, the first optics to go down were the Eotech's.
View Quote

Do you have a rough round count estimate or mean failure point estimate for the Eotechs you used?  As in, "Uh oh, we have 20,000 rounds through that one, better get ready to replace it soon" or did they have random, unpredictable failure points unit by unit?

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Great post, thank you. You have the perfect environment to use and abuse stuff then report back to the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Best thread I've read in a long, long time.  Thanks and congrats on the success you're having in LV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you only use ACOGs, or have you tried Trijicon's red dot sights as well?

Not too surprised on the EOTech performance, mirrors my own - it's a fairly sturdy sight, but abuse it enough and it will die on you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
This is one of the most excellent contributions to the site in a long, long time.  His thread in AR Discussions is awesome, discussing real longevity of the AR15 in high volume, full auto fire to the tune of tens of thousands of rounds put through the guns before having to replace barrels and bolts.
View Quote

Totally agree, great info in these threads.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
This belongs in the Optics Forum.
View Quote

I agree that it should be cross posted in there but while a bunch of people go in there it will get more views here too and may help someone decide and learn about what to choose if they don't go into the tech areas
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the information.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to wonder if there's any way to subscribe to an individual user  Sir, your posts increase the signal to noise ratio here markedly.  Not that I don't love the standard GD hilarity, but this sort of stuff is why I joined!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#26]
tagscribe for later...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
great thread
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By madbarbarian87:
great thread
View Quote

+1  Great post OP

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Alien:
I'm not saying EOTec sights are garbage but any time they are compared against the rugged durability of Aimpoints, EOThingy owners often try to say they are just as rugged. General consensus has usually been that although they are great sights, they are not quite on the same level of bomb proof as the Swede's sights.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I WANTED to like the EOtechs, I admit the reticle is pretty cool.  They lost their luster though after buying a few.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I know the answer is probably no, but are you guys using any RMRs on long-guns?  

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the great post.  Seems like your place would be a good testing ground by mfgs. for current and future optics as well as barrel testing etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:
I know the answer is probably no, but are you guys using any RMRs on long-guns?  

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7779/17372921782_662c76dbe8_c.jpg
View Quote

I want to know more of if they are using any on FA glocks....
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#33]
could you post a picture of your ACOG thats no longer made???
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Nice write-up.

Why is this in GD?
View Quote

So I could ask......

How many weapons does Dan Blizerian store at BFV?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Another tag
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Great info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]

After a "no questions asked" policy from Trijicon, don't worry one bit. Also, these weapons are ABUSED daily and in my opinion, not typical for any product.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:
Good post, thanks OP.

I have a 3x ACOG, your older one fogging up worries me

After a "no questions asked" policy from Trijicon, don't worry one bit. Also, these weapons are ABUSED daily and in my opinion, not typical for any product.

V/R
Ron

Trijicons customer service is what makes me pay for their optics.  They are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Taggaro
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By the444shooter:
Yes, as mentioned, it would be awesome to see how long the popular "budget" optics last.

Bushnell TRS-25
Vortex Sparc, Strikefire
Primary Arms advanced series micros
View Quote

I'd like to see this.

You guys also need hit up TNVC and get a blacked out range with some sentinels and a quad tube, even if the firearms are bolted down to tables
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

x100

HD!  Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Any issues with the traditional style scopes on your rental sniper rifles?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the great info!  Do you have any Russian/native AK optics?  Or traditional scopes with high round counts?  If you ever find the time a report on how some of the C&R guns, like the M1 Garands, fair would be really appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I might have missed it in the pistol thread, but do y'all have any pistols with red dots?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Goes to show, that eventually ALL optics will fail!  IE, the importance of IRONS!  The old saying really is true, a year + post SHTF, iron sights will rule the world!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm curious about the Vortex optics as well.  Mine have lasted for years and I've been fairly rough on them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Your threads are great, and we all appreciate the info.

I bought a WASR this week because of you.  Decided on it weeks ago because of the AK thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#49]
do you only keep and use these optics at the indoor range, or does Bebe Noyes et al also take them out to the desert ranges?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CrimsonTideShooter:
Always love your posts.
View Quote

Yup!  I've got every thread of his cached.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top