Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 1:54:36 PM EDT
Rocking my Core Home  5-50's and while I absolutely love them there are two things I don't like:
-50lb limit
-5lb resolution

I only care about the latter in the lower range where I'm doing low weight high rep exercises, but I do a lot of chest presses/row and am needing more on the higher end to continue growth.

Ideally I'd like to buy a complementing set (55-80lb). Nuobell seems to be the only option that comes close, but goes 5-80....

I have used powerblocks and their design is not great compared to the core design. I'd accept a powerblock solution if I didn't have to mess with the cores on top of the plates.

Are a set of handles and plates the way to go for these higher ranges? Any other options that I'm missing?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
when i asked this a few weeks ago the consensus was that the bowflex were typically the best bet.  most similar to traditional dumbbells so that you don't have to acclimate to using a weird design like the power blocks.

and you've already been using adjustables so you know not to toss them when your done

also you can look at getting 2 inch dumbell handles too use your barbell plates of you have them
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ironmaster makes the best adjustable dumbbells out there in my opinion.  They are basically indestructible.

I also got a couple of their kettlebells and they are very nice as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both of the bowflex sets, 90s for home and the smaller for covert work workouts.  I had power blocks before and these are definitely superior to those.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have older Bowflex 1090's. Currently living in the hallway because I got a new exercise bike and they were displaced from my office.

(They're also on wheels, and my hexes - which only go to 35 - are not)

The resolution really is 5 lbs. I suppose theoretically you could set one side to, say 40 and the other to 45 and get 42.5... but they're gonna be awkward that way.

IMO, they're too big for the lighter weights (hence I still have the Hex's) because you'll want to get them in closer to you than you can really do with the big diameter they have.

They are also far more delicate than a normal, non-adjustable... but I feel like that's true of all the adjustables. Don't drop 'em.

All in all, I like them for what they are. I suppose I could use them for everything, but I do use the hexes for lighter work.... that's also because while they adjust quickly, they have to go back on the stand, and it's not as quick as just putting them down and picking up another set of dumbells.

I'll generally adjust my reps to minimize changes on the bowflexes... So maybe I'd rather do 2 more reps at 80 than I'd 'ideally' do at 90... because some other exercise in the set I should really do at 80.

At least when I got mine, the only other real option was the Powerblocks. I couldn't find the big ones locally, but the smaller ones seemed awkward, which is why I went bowflex. (I similarly couldn't find the 1090's local, but the 552's were everywhere)

Ok... time for the aforementioned exercise bike.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Lot of comments on the Bowflex. They aren't a bad option but are certainly inferior in design to the Core Home set I have. Ironmaster looks good but weight change time is going to be very significant. Call me spoiled I guess...

Thinking I might get a set of Nuobell 80's and sell the core's at this point. Anybody here use the Nuobell? My only concern on them is longevity. Wonder if I can get spares for the interlocking inserts....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lot of comments on the Bowflex. They aren't a bad option but are certainly inferior in design to the Core Home set I have. Ironmaster looks good but weight change time is going to be very significant. Call me spoiled I guess...

Thinking I might get a set of Nuobell 80's and sell the core's at this point. Anybody here use the Nuobell? My only concern on them is longevity. Wonder if I can get spares for the interlocking inserts....
View Quote

Buy an extra set of hands for the Ironmasters and it's easier.

I have 3 sets of handles and 2 of the kettlebells.  I've looked at them all but after using the Ironmasters all of the rest are just inferior.  I placed durability/usability above all else though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ironmaster makes the best adjustable dumbbells out there in my opinion.  They are basically indestructible.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/fXokAt6yHP7qFyY/preview
https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/cBCFqjtceokFfZJ/preview

View Quote

And unobtanium.  I've been on every drawing they've had since april and yet to score a set.  

Prior to the drawing they had an e-commerce "line" for the first round for sale after they sold out their inventory due to covid.  Even though i was f5ing right when they started, i was ~#6000 in line...and that was for a couple hundred sets.  

I'm guessing they get a couple/few hundred sets a month and have in the tens of thousands in demand....not including scalpers looking to score a set.  

I'll be in on the next lottery but i'm not optimistic.  

That being said, i'm with ya and will hold out for them.  I'm already limited on some lifts by the 100# sets at my gym, so the 120# add-on kit is desirable.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And unobtanium.  I've been on every drawing they've had since april and yet to score a set.  

Prior to the drawing they had an e-commerce "line" for the first round for sale after they sold out their inventory due to covid.  Even though i was f5ing right when they started, i was ~#6000 in line...and that was for a couple hundred sets.  

I'm guessing they get a couple/few hundred sets a month and have in the tens of thousands in demand....not including scalpers looking to score a set.  

That being said, i'm with ya and will hold out for them.  I'm already limited on some lifts by the 100# sets at my gym, so the 120# add-on kit is desirable.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/fXokAt6yHP7qFyY/preview
https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/cBCFqjtceokFfZJ/preview

Yeah they are in demand that's for sure.  I've been in on drawings too but I just want a few extra 5# plates and a set of the 22.5# plates as I have plenty of handles.

I was lucky back in March when they were sold out they had a wait list so I joined it and got an email with a link to order so I grabbed a set of handles and a 75lb set plus 4 more 2.5# plates to complement my existing 45lb + 120lb AddOn set.  I should have gotten my extra plates then but I didn't.  The irony is that right after I got them I hurt myself and couldn't lift for 6 months....doh!

I just got the kettlebells in the last couple of months though from them and they are great.

I don't use them like most though as I only do basically 3 exercises per day so I can just set them and forget them until the next day since I have 3 sets of handles.

There really is no competition for them though as all of the other options cost more for the same weight capacity, are fragile, awkward IMO, and don't go up as heavy.  Wrap the handles with a couple of layers of athletic tape and they are just about perfect to me.  You can also get a 165lb kit for the Ironmasters which is more than I'll ever need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top