Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2022 10:37:43 AM EDT
What’s the best PLA filament?  We’ve always used hatchbox but lately the quality seems to have gone down.  Rolls are already tangled so that your prints stop due to the feed getting stuck, etc.

We mostly use the printers for hobbies or for a hard to find repair parts around the farm.

I noticed a while back someone posted a company that makes higher quality filament, but don’t remember the brand.  

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Best PLA is Prusament (by Prusa) and 3D Fuel. Polymaker PolyLite is also very, very good, but not quite as good as Prusament or 3D Fuel, but I have no problem making parts with quality high enough to sell commercially.  I use about 30kg/month of it.

Best PETG is Prusament (by Prusa) and Atomic.

Best ASA is Prusament (by Prusa) and Polymaker, in my more limited experience.

Other stuff, go 3DXTECH.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best PLA is Prusament (by Prusa) and 3D Fuel. Polymaker PolyLite is also very, very good, but not quite as good as Prusament or 3D Fuel, but I have no problem making parts with quality high enough to sell commercially.  I use about 30kg/month of it.

Best PETG is Prusament (by Prusa) and Atomic.

Best ASA is Prusament (by Prusa) and Polymaker, in my more limited experience.

Other stuff, go 3DXTECH.
View Quote

I really like the atomic extreme impact. It's really good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really like the atomic extreme impact. It's really good stuff.
View Quote

Same. I made press brake dies out of it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be curious to see a picture of the press. How thick of steel are you bending? We often have some projects that would benefit from this but it's well outside of my wheelhouse.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Prusa has good stuff, but until they get pricing to my door better, I haven't justified the price.
View Quote

Check out Printed Solid.

Prusa teamed up/aquired them a couple years back with the intent of them being essentially a US service/distributer. Still not really fully implemented but they they have some replacement parts and a decent selection of Prusament. PLA is $36/kg+ Tax and free shipping over $50.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd be curious to see a picture of the press. How thick of steel are you bending? We often have some projects that would benefit from this but it's well outside of my wheelhouse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they were for my 5" bench vise. They bent the .093 6061 I had without any trouble or damage to the dies.

That said, I found some youtube videos a while back of a guy who was using PLA+ to print dies for a giant ass CNC brake for production runs of .125 (I think) steel brackets and was able to run like 100 parts before the dies degraded to the point that they weren't usable. For a hobbyist though (aka me making brackets to hang the custom blinds we got) these worked great. I'll edit with a pic in a minute or two.

ETA pics:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check out Printed Solid.

Prusa teamed up/aquired them a couple years back with the intent of them being essentially a US service/distributer. Still not really fully implemented but they they have some replacement parts and a decent selection of Prusament. PLA is $36/kg+ Tax and free shipping over $50.
View Quote

It's not really any cheaper than it was. It's actually more expensive in a lot of cases.

Depends on how many spools you buy. I can get 2 spools shipped for $76 from Prusa directly.  That's cheaper than Printed Solid.

There is a place for it...if I want a really high quality finish in ASA, or Prusa Orange, I'll pay the shipping. I also experimented with some of their other filaments...I think I have about 15 or so kg of their filament. Always happy with the results, but it IS much pricier, considering I can get Atomic about 25% cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, they were for my 5" bench vise. They bent the .093 6061 I had without any trouble or damage to the dies.

That said, I found some youtube videos a while back of a guy who was using PLA+ to print dies for a giant ass CNC brake for production runs of .125 (I think) steel brackets and was able to run like 100 parts before the dies degraded to the point that they weren't usable. For a hobbyist though (aka me making brackets to hang the custom blinds we got) these worked great. I'll edit with a pic in a minute or two.

ETA pics:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142455/A2D28D44-61EA-49C5-A542-A8B32DF777A3_jpe-2589158.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142455/8BCCEFCE-4A75-43D5-9D94-B5FFF8C77DCF_jpe-2589160.JPG
View Quote

Thanks. That's closer to what we'd be doing anyways.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
eSun PLA+ is what I am running these days.

Keeping it dry and out if any sun/florescent lights has helped.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had my best results with 3D Fuel and Atomic.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
eSun PLA+ is what I am running these days.

Keeping it dry and out if any sun/florescent lights has helped.
View Quote
Wait why does sun/florescent affect pla+?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wait why does sun/florescent affect pla+?
View Quote

PLA is extremely sensitive to UV degradation, and actually degrades in water too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top