Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2023 7:42:23 PM EDT
In states that have so called "high-cap mag" bans, typically they forbid all of possession, manufacture, and commerce related to them. However, some states do allow grand-fathering of these mags for strictly possession, so that it may be legal to actually own such mags after those laws went into effect, within the state.

For states where that is the case (i.e., legally possessing a "high-cap" mag in such a state), can those individuals engage in commerce related to those mags they own with out-of-state customers? Meaning, they are not selling nor advertising nor marketing those mags for sale to individuals within their ban state, but rather perhaps selling them over the web to only out-of-state customers?

Similarly, for both those same "high-cap" mags and parts that make so-called "featureless & compliant" weapons into "assault weapons", can they be housed by businesses within such both "AWB" and "high-cap" mag ban states for sale exclusively to out-of-state residents?

In a nutshell, what I'm asking plainly is if that kind of specific commercial activity for these items is legal in ban states if their sale is legal to out-of-state areas or non-state residents residing in other states (not: non-state residents within the ban state).
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell whatever you want. It's probably a crime somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
View Quote

For the record, was not asking about myself. Was asking for some businesses I've observed and some individual classifieds across the web that I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AKzgalore:

For the record, was not asking about myself. Was asking for some businesses I've observed and some individual classifieds across the web that I've seen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

An ffl agrees to follow state laws. Violation of a state magazine ban can get our license revoked.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]

An ffl agrees to follow state laws. Violation of a state magazine ban can get our license revoked.
View Quote

Ok, so there are several FFLs and businesses in CA that sell 10+ rd magazines. However, I see them selling them online only, and of course targeted to & shippable only to non-state residents. Please explain.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Each state law is different. Businesses have to comply with all of them so you’re going to see some businesses won’t ship to some verboten states.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Ok, so there are several FFLs and businesses in CA that sell 10+ rd magazines. However, I see them selling them online only, and of course targeted to & shippable only to non-state residents. Please explain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol, explain what? They are legal to sell to non ban states.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

IIRC CA FFL's are exempt from the mag ban.  Someone has to sell them to law-enforcement after all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Lol, explain what? They are legal to sell to non ban states.
View Quote

That's essentially in a nutshell what my original question was asking; under what circumstances, OR instead is it generally legal for anyone with a lawfully possessed "high-cap" mag who resides in a ban state to sell that mag outside the state?

I do know each state's statutes are different, but I wanted as much as possible of a general answer.

For example, how about WA? Their mag ban is arguably one of the most recent to have been passed. Some LGSs there have actually made their state headlines for getting pinched selling mags to in-state residents after the ban. I also did my research, and found a few stores with them still listed online but for "in-store pickup" only. Can anyone with a lawfully possessed "high-cap" mag there sell to folks outside their state?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top