Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flexing on one of my ford dealers to order one.

My dad wants a first edition 4dr.
View Quote
Baller
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Baller
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flexing on one of my ford dealers to order one.

My dad wants a first edition 4dr.
Baller

Mine in the summer. His in the winter.

I’ll drive it down to the keys for them. Then back to my place in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Back in the 60's, gramps.

2.7l makes 300+ hp and 400 ft lbs of torque, that is better than V8's that are less than a decade old. The bonus of FI also means it will make that power at elevation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True enough.

With the big bronco though, where's the V8?

2.7l makes 300+ hp and 400 ft lbs of torque, that is better than V8's that are less than a decade old. The bonus of FI also means it will make that power at elevation.
My daily driver is a Raptor with the 3.5L TT, and I had a Raptor with the 6.2L V8 - the V8 was a far better, and more reliable engine. I also owned a 13' F150 with the standard 3.5L ecoboost, and both my other vehicles have twin turbo I6s, so I'm speaking from experience here on the engine front.

To keep it short, I'm not completely trusting in Ford's FI V6s, and there's been some issues in the Raptor community that Ford refuses to address with the engine. While the truck itself is great, and a massive improvement from the Gen1, the engine and transmission are questionable.

Ford's V8 engines, at this point, seem to be much more solid and reliable. That's why I would like to see them included as an option (as many others I'd assume).
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Deposit placed on a Black Diamond. 4Runner owner here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Reserved one. Dealership seems to think these will get here alot faster than most people think. Well see.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My daily driver is a Raptor with the 3.5L TT, and I had a Raptor with the 6.2L V8 - the V8 was a far better, and more reliable engine. I also owned a 13' F150 with the standard 3.5L ecoboost, and both my other vehicles have twin turbo I6s, so I'm speaking from experience here on the engine front.

To keep it short, I'm not completely trusting in Ford's FI V6s, and there's been some issues in the Raptor community that Ford refuses to address with the engine. While the truck itself is great, and a massive improvement from the Gen1, the engine and transmission are questionable.

Ford's V8 engines, at this point, seem to be much more solid and reliable. That's why I would like to see them included as an option (as many others I'd assume).
View Quote

They aren't perfect, but it's not like Ford doesn't have it's issues with the 5.0 right now as well. Also, the 2.7 isn't the 3.5.

I worked on cars for a long time, and while I haven't professionally worked on any of the EB or the new 5.0 I'm still friends with guys who do. One thing that taught me is that every single model, from every single manufacturer has it's issues. Nothing is perfect. With that said, they're both good products. Maybe not as good reliability/quality wise as some other products, but it is what it is. The EB's push past consumer comfort zones, and they do come with their own set of worries, but overall they're good engines. I am kind of shocked Ford didn't offer a NA option for the people who are terrified of FI though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Amen. Maybe one day brother.
View Quote

That's right brother.

My freedom to enjoy my vehicle shouldn't be restricted just because some idiots want to breathe or have fewer instances of asthma!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the aftermarket is already getting ready.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's right brother.

My freedom to enjoy my vehicle shouldn't be restricted just because some idiots want to breathe or have fewer instances of asthma!
View Quote

Preach it!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Im wondering that the static/dynamic load rating is on those overhead cargo bars?

Looks like they come stock on the vehicle too. Jeep dont do that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford will likely be offering a 3.5 or 5.0 on a raptor/warthog version to come out a year after the main release. Some of the test mule pictures have spotted it with 37s
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ford will likely be offering a 3.5 or 5.0 on a raptor/warthog version to come out a year after the main release. Some of the test mule pictures have spotted it with 37s
View Quote

Those had a 2 inch fomoco lift on them, at least is the speculation.

But still that's impressive. Ford nailed this thing. Still expecting the tow rating to be increased.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those had a 2 inch fomoco lift on them, at least is the speculation.
View Quote

This one?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
So if you want the 2-door and a stick, you're saddled with the 2.3 I4. I guess, I'd really like at least a 6, but the 2.3 has 30%+ more torque than my old TJ 4.0
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 2.3 murders the V8 in my 77 Bronco. If I was more technically inclined I’ve actually thought it would make a great swap into my rig. The 3.5 would be a beast and has been done already but that 2.3 would be cool too. Probably get decent mileage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

Ford site only lists the 1.5l and 2.0l engines as an option, and only the 8 speed automatic (trash transmission IMO) is available.

Talk about a swing and a miss.

ETA: That looks like the bronco sport. Still a huge miss IMO.

The sport is a cute ute renegade competitor. Who cares?
True enough.

That 2.7 makes more horsepower and torque than super cars did for almost 30 years. I’m good with 300+hp and 400 lb/ft.

The 2.3 murders the V8 in my 77 Bronco. If I was more technically inclined I’ve actually thought it would make a great swap into my rig. The 3.5 would be a beast and has been done already but that 2.3 would be cool too. Probably get decent mileage.

The 2.3 is most likely more than adequate performance wise in the Bronco, but the 2.7 is a gigantic upgrade in ways the output numbers don't quite show.

The 2.3 is an aluminum block I4, and it has direct injection only and the concerns that go along with that.

The 2.7 is a compacted graphite iron block V6, and it has dual injection.

I'm not in the "always get the biggest engine" camp, but in this case, the 2.7 is the smart choice unless Ford puts a stupid price tag on the option.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]

I'll try and find it again.

It wasn't that pic, it was the yellow/orange /copper color.

And it was yesterday after the reveal.

Eta -
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]
New Ford Bronco Reveal ― 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport, Price, Interior, Off-Road, Release Date
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice. I'm going to hold off and see how they do after launch. The Black Diamond package is the one I want as well. It is what I have been wishing Toyota would sell here with the LC or even 4Runner. A stripped down, no frills, vehicle. The FJ was close but a tad small for me. I currently have a 2014 Toyota 4Runner Trail. 70ish thousand miles on it and so far the only mechanical issue has been the rear passenger brake caliper seized up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ford's V8 engines, at this point, seem to be much more solid and reliable.
View Quote

Where have you been hiding?  A lot of words have been used to describes Fords latest V8s, but 'reliable' isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Eta -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49348/2021_Bronco_2_inch_lift_kit_37_inch_tire-1503775.JPG
View Quote

I was going to say that was the Bronco under the tarp on the flatbed, but while the wheels are the same, I think the tires are different.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They aren't perfect, but it's not like Ford doesn't have it's issues with the 5.0 right now as well. Also, the 2.7 isn't the 3.5.

I worked on cars for a long time, and while I haven't professionally worked on any of the EB or the new 5.0 I'm still friends with guys who do. One thing that taught me is that every single model, from every single manufacturer has it's issues. Nothing is perfect. With that said, they're both good products. Maybe not as good reliability/quality wise as some other products, but it is what it is. The EB's push past consumer comfort zones, and they do come with their own set of worries, but overall they're good engines. I am kind of shocked Ford didn't offer a NA option for the people who are terrified of FI though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are different layers to this whole thing.

Looking strictly at Ford's 3.5L EB, there have been two different variants (transverse and longitudinal) and two generations.

The situation with the transverse EBs and the internal water pump is scary, and I'd probably never own one for that reason alone.

The longitudinal engines are more relevant to this thread, and I'd say the Gen1s had an EcoBoost problem and a Ford problem. The EcoBoost problem was intercooler condensation thing. It was an early design detail thing, and not that big of a deal. The Ford problem was the timing sets. Timing system issues aren't exactly unheard of with Ford engines, and that very easily could have happened with or without the turbos and other EcoBoost hardware. When Ford moved from the Gen1 to Gen2 3.5, they moved from timing set problems to cam phaser problems. The cam phaser rattles might be cosmetic or they might be serious, but either way, it's not like Ford didn't have major problems with the same system in their V8s a generation ago.

The Gen3 5.0 Coyote does have some significant issues that are pretty well documented. We'll see how the latest round of updates and TSBs work out, but that engine scares me more than the 3.5. To make matters worse, Ford has confirmed the 2021 F-150 5.0s will be getting cylinder deactivation. I don't think a single manufacturer has ever implemented cylinder deactivation without having some big problems. The GM LS and Honda J35 were both fantastic engines before cylinder deactivation showed up, and both companies got it wrong.

That brings us back to the 2.7. Having killed plenty of time on F-150 boards, I'm aware of two common issues. Early engines had problems with oil pan seals, and there was a range of build dates in 2016 that had cylinder head issues due to a manufacturing defect. That's the extent of the issues I'm aware of with the 2.7L EB. With very little hesitation, I would say the 2.7L EB is the best engine available in the F-150 and it's probably the safest option unless you want the 3.3 NA V6. I might also speculate that it's probably the best engine Ford makes in any model with the only competition being the big V8s in the Super Duty line. The 6.2 is pretty good, and the 7.3 is an unproven engine with a conservative design.

Expand the field to the Big 3, and the Ford 2.7 is still probably one of the best engines available. GM's best engine is probably the 6.2L V8, and that has questions surrounding both the DI only fuel system and the new DFM cylinder deactivation system. FCA's best engine is one of the two Hemis. Those are port injected only, supposedly the lifter issues were fixed in 2015, and I'm not aware of any other big issues. Big picture, I think I might be able to argue that the Ford 2.7L EcoBoost is one of the top-3 engines built by any US manufacturer. Maybe.

But again, nothing is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So if you want the 2-door and a stick, you're saddled with the 2.3 I4. I guess, I'd really like at least a 6, but the 2.3 has 30%+ more torque than my old TJ 4.0
View Quote

I have a Ranger,  the 2.3 is no joke.  I love scootin right by tacos going up hills and mine is bone stock, there is an extra 40hp and 25 torque if you want to use Fords factory approved warranty blessed tune.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

why the black diamond?  I was looking at the badlands.  They seem pretty close.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Eta -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49348/2021_Bronco_2_inch_lift_kit_37_inch_tire-1503775.JPG
View Quote

Is that guy some kind dwarf or something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you get the "Black Diamond" in a 2 door and can you get the bigger engine in a 2 door?...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can you get the "Black Diamond" in a 2 door and can you get the bigger engine in a 2 door?...
View Quote

Yes and yes.

Auto only though on the 2.7eb
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes apparently a Manlet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

Auto only though on the 2.7eb
View Quote

cool...thanks...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes apparently a Manlet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes apparently a Manlet.

I'm kind glad they didn't make that full size with the Godzilla in it...I'd be broke for sure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, I like the stripped down nature of the BD.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Game Changer! Here''s How the 2021 Ford Bronco Stacks Up Against The Jeep Wrangler & Toyota 4Runner

Tommy!
Take out your tongue ring!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was going to say that was the Bronco under the tarp on the flatbed, but while the wheels are the same, I think the tires are different.
View Quote

Reveal had two different tires
BFG KM3
Goodyear Territory MT
They look fairly similar
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True enough.

It's a shame they won't put the 7.3 in it.  The aftermarket is really squeezin' power from that sucker.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Talked to my sales rep this afternoon.  

We’re on the waiting list.  They should be getting 3 first editions.  Maybe 4 depending on their volume. (1 per store, 3 store chain.)

We’re top of the list for one of their first editions.  He’s going to call me next week with all the options and colors.

The first editions are slotted per store. How many each store gets depends on their volume. Mostly their f150 volume. Higher volume stores = more they get. But most should get 1 unless it’s a non contact store. (Meaning they don’t have a dedicated ford rep for that store.)

We’re on really good terms with this ford store.  My sister is in the process of buying an explorer ST from them. My moms f150 King ranch came from them. And I bought, I think, 10 vehicles From them last year.

Edit

And we’re the largest ford motorcraft distributor in the US.  Also their supplier of motorcraft lubricants.

So it’s mutually beneficial to keep each other happy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I figure I have a year before I actually see the thing, and this won’t cut it as a substitute for my raptor in terms of hauling. Who knows where it’ll fit? Might end up with this and a 2021 f150, this and a 2020 7.3 tremor, or just pass on my allocation and get a 2021 f150 and a newer AMG Mercedes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Expand the field to the Big 3, and the Ford 2.7 is still probably one of the best engines available. GM's best engine is probably the 6.2L V8, and that has questions surrounding both the DI only fuel system and the new DFM cylinder deactivation system. FCA's best engine is one of the two Hemis. Those are port injected only, supposedly the lifter issues were fixed in 2015, and I'm not aware of any other big issues. Big picture, I think I might be able to argue that the Ford 2.7L EcoBoost is one of the top-3 engines built by any US manufacturer. Maybe.

But again, nothing is perfect.
View Quote
I have a 2016 WK2 with the 5.7.  The issues with the lifters, after more reading about it, is that the needle bearings in the roller are splash-oiled.  This leads to them running fairly dry at idle.  Hopefully the updates fixed it for my year, and I can go 200k+ without issues.  I've sent 2 oil samples into Blackstone, and the 2nd one with more miles (5000 vs 4000) than the first one had less iron in it, so it's wearing even better at 60k than it was at 46k.  We'll see how it does long term, I'm keeping the oil changes at 5k, no interest in longer service intervals.  But, if I have to deal with lifter failure, it's getting a 392 in it.  I also keep Eco mode turned off, which disables MDS.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#40]
No my wife is mad cause I hinted I wanted one and didn't reserve one.  But I don't know how all this reserve works.

do I have to pay some ridiculous markup if I do this?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Just put my $100 deposit down on an Antimatter Blue base model.  Will definitely opt for the Sasquatch package since those dudes hang out in the woods near me.  I have never been excited about a vehicle and never ordered one but something about this new Bronco just screamed to me " Dooo Eeet".  So I did it. No ragrats.

eta:  to add crappy stock reservation photo

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No my wife is mad cause I hinted I wanted one and didn't reserve one.  But I don't know how all this reserve works.

do I have to pay some ridiculous markup if I do this?
View Quote

Reserve is $100, fully refundable at any point prior to purchase.  If they try to jack you just tell them to eff off and get your hundo back.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same, but I have the opposite opinion. The 6.2 was slower and absolutely sucked gas. I liked the engine at the time (other than MPG), but was super happy to upgrade to the 3.5 HO. Personally, I haven't had any issues with either as far as reliability.

Not just the HO has the cam phaser issue, and Ford is saying it is a non-issue other than sound. Also, they fixed it as of April 8, 2019. Updated parts on all engines after and they will repair yours (for free) and expecting an extension on the powertrain warranty due to this.

The 5.0 has had problems since 2018. It eats oil like the cookie monster. Some people are reporting over a quart every 3k miles. It was blamed on the software, sprayed-on cylinder liner, valve covers...I'm not sure it's truly fixed.

The 2.7 EcoBoost has been bulletproof so far.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reserve is $100, fully refundable at any point prior to purchase.  If they try to jack you just tell them to eff off and get your hundo back.
View Quote

It won’t let me create an account. I keep getting an error page.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It won’t let me create an account. I keep getting an error page.
View Quote

It took me forever to get the page to load.  Just keep trying.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Reserved a Wildtrak.

My Dealer GSM text me an hour later, and said he should be able to start ordering late August.

I told him I'd love to use my A/D Plan, and he lol'd.

He said I might get by paying sticker.

They are going to have a $5k add-a-tag, minimum.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#47]
One nice thing is this is gonna give the 4Runner salesman fits...so that's a good thing...bout time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Production spring 2021??!  Realistically you wont get it till late 21 or 22.

View Quote

Orders for all models except Sport are supposed to begin in December and regular dealer production starts Spring 2021, from what I read.  Sport models will start taking orders sometime this month with deliveries later this year. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just put my $100 deposit down on an Antimatter Blue base model.  Will definitely opt for the Sasquatch package since those dudes hang out in the woods near me.  I have never been excited about a vehicle and never ordered one but something about this new Bronco just screamed to me " Dooo Eeet".  So I did it. No ragrats.

eta:  to add crappy stock reservation photo

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454103/Bronco_jpg-1504229.JPG
View Quote

IMO this will be a iconic vehicle of the time period. Kinda like how Boomers kids hear about what their old man drove around when he was young and dumb and they go "woooooah cool!"
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Reserved a Wildtrak.

My Dealer GSM text me an hour later, and said he should be able to start ordering late August.

I told him I'd love to use my A/D Plan, and he lol'd.

He said I might get by paying sticker.

They are going to have a $5k add-a-tag, minimum.
View Quote

Of course he is going to tell you that. "They're selling like hotcakes! We can't keep them in stock!".  Not sure how that works with pre-orders but hopefully they don't rape us so much that it feels like rape.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top