Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2021 7:12:17 PM EDT
So I just got home and my adorable, lifelong birby friend suddenly appears to have some kind of infection. His eyes look abnormal and he's become unusually aggressive. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been exposed to any unfamiliar animals or foods, and he was normal thus morning but now all he wants to do is stare at me as if pleading for help.

ETA: He also won't eat anything but peanut butter filled pretzels suddenly.

Picture below.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried horse paste?

I heard it works on birbs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Does it work on frogs?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My high school crush does some bird care stuff, but she doesn't live in Colorado.

It looks like some kind of internal cranial pressure thing.  Is birby in any kind of distress?  Can he fly (if he could fly before)?

Do you have any pictures of him from before, cause that's a strange looking birb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My high school crush does some bird care stuff, but she doesn't live in Colorado.

It looks like some kind of internal cranial pressure thing.  Is birby in any kind of distress?  Can he fly (if he could fly before)?

Do you have any pictures of him from before, cause that's a strange looking birb.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

He looks like he's losing color.  Is this normal? This doesn't seem normal.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/Birb2-2084435_jpg-2084498.JPG

View Quote

Poor Birb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he's losing color, that probably means he's molting.  Are the less colorful feathers softer, or won't he let you handle him to find out?

Has he molted a lot from his head, and the eyes seem out of proportion only because of the lack of feathers?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Did he accidentally get into some DMT?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Astra Zeneca may be able to help.

Do you have any before pictures to help us gauge the eye gauge?

Poor lil birb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If he's molting, there should be a lot of feathers around.  I'm pretty sure birbs don't eat their molted feathers (I've heard reptiles sometimes eat their shed skins, but we're not talking about those).

Are there a lot of feathers?  If not, we need to look at something else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I notice that the newspaper is in Spanish, but the potoo is also found all over Brazil.  Perhaps a paper in Portuguese would help?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if his craving for peanut butter is in response to the approach of winter...and being a birb from the southern hemisphere, his internal calendar has him anticipating summer.

That might explain the molting - his body is preparing for summer, even though he's fattening himself up for winter.

That would explain the confused look, and the physiologically unexpected weight gain might explain the protruding eyes.

Did the opposite happen this past spring?

I fear the little guy will just have to ride it out.  Maybe keeping some bright lights on in the evening would help, kind of like they do for seasonal affective disorder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder if his craving for peanut butter is in response to the approach of winter...and being a birb from the southern hemisphere, his internal calendar has him anticipating summer.

That might explain the molting - his body is preparing for summer, even though he's fattening himself up for winter.

That would explain the confused look, and the physiologically unexpected weight gain might explain the protruding eyes.

I fear the little guy will just have to ride it out.  Maybe keeping some bright lights on in the evening would help, kind of like they do for seasonal affective disorder.
View Quote

No this is the first time this has ever happened. I'm really worried guys! Now he's just staring at me intently and not moving an inch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Poor lil birb.
View Quote

Yes here's one of him normally.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No this is the first time this has ever happened. I'm really worried guys! Now he's just staring at me intently and not moving an inch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hang on, I have another thought.

I think he's just constipated, or whatever the birb equivalent is (since their...exhaust port combines everything).

The grain and fat craving is his attempt to add some fiber and some lubrication.  The fact that things aren't moving inside explains:
The color change - he's turning more brown
The bulging eyes - bloated insides have nowhere to go but up
The aggressive attitude - imagine if you hadn't gone for a few days
The lack of movement - with everything jammed up, he's probably got intestinal cramps and probably hasn't been sleeping well, so he's too tired to move much and it hurts to move anyway

I'm not certain that an enema will help.  You might just pop him.

But if he's not looking better tomorrow, then it's what I would try, unless you have a good birb vet.

I imagine an ear syringe with warm (not hot) vegetable oil would be the best treatment.  Just a little at first.

Oh, I guarantee this will be a messy job.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think he's just constipated, or whatever the birb equivalent is (since their...exhaust port combines everything).

The grain and fat craving is his attempt to add some fiber and some lubrication.  The fact that things aren't moving inside explains:
The lack of movement - with everything jammed up, he's probably got intestinal cramps and probably hasn't been sleeping well, so he's too tired to move much and it hurts to move anyway

But if he's not looking better tomorrow, then it's what I would try, unless you have a good birb vet.

I imagine an ear syringe with warm (not hot) vegetable oil would be the best treatment.  Just a little at first.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay so I tried your suggestion and now hes doing this and I'm terrified to go near him!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Birb is sick?
Load up the parlor stove with nut coal.

Birbs like warm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Okay so I tried your suggestion and now hes doing this and I'm terrified to go near him!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/0_PAY-ghost-bird_jpg-2084772.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's progress.  You'd react the same if he did it to you.

But the animation is a good sign.  Try it again.  Wear heavy gloves.  And eye protection (against claws, beak , and his hinder parts).
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude don't listen to Brisk
Just a suggestion
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

NOBEL PRIZE WINNING FOR HUMANS
@WhiskersTheCat
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I notice that the newspaper is in Spanish, but the potoo is also found all over Brazil.  Perhaps a paper in Portuguese would help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a potoo.

It's a frogmouth birb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
His coloration might not change back to iridescent black right away.  He'll have to molt the brown affected feathers, and that might take a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]
If he starts doing this....

Keep your distance.
He may be rabid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/O5sMamU.gif

Keep your distance.
He may be rabid.
View Quote

Stop It
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But the animation is a good sign.  Try it again.  Wear heavy gloves.  And eye protection (against claws, beak , and his hinder parts).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I'm not sure about this. I got ready to give him anther treatment and he seems even more distressed now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, I'm suddenly not sure this is even my birb. My sweet, gentle beautiful baby birb. Something seems really wrong here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Keep your distance.
He may be rabid.
View Quote

No, it's not rabies. Rabies would make him shy away from water, and while that could cause short-term constipation, ultimately he'd get thinner, and he'd molt his feathers without replacing them.  Assuming he lived long enough, he'd look like a pot-bellied plucked chicken.

In the long run, the oil treatment will get him cleaned out and will establish OP at the top.ofvthe pecking order.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, it's not rabies. Rabies would make him shy away from water, and while that could cause short-term constipation, ultimately he'd get thinner, and he'd molt his feathers without replacing them.  Assuming he lived long enough, he'd look like a pot-bellied plucked chicken.

In the long run, the oil treatment will get him cleaned out and will establish OP at the top.ofvthe pecking order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your distance.
He may be rabid.

Do you think it might be related to birb flu?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Man I'm not sure about this. I got ready to give him anther treatment and he seems even more distressed now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/potoo_jpg-2084779.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't quit now!  The swelling is already going down!  Keep at it. He'll hate you for a few days, but you'll hate yourself even more if you don't go through with this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't mess with it!!!

It bites

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your distance.
He may be rabid.

I don't think so. Usually a flu tends to loosen things up inside, and if he had a fever, he'd molt a lot more and you'd likely see skin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't mess with it!!!

It bites

View Quote

That's what the gloves are for.  And unlike puppies, this little guy doesn't have teeth.

If the treatment works, there will be a mess to clean up, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't quit now!  The swelling is already going down!  Keep at it. He'll hate you for a few days, but you'll hate yourself even more if you don't go through with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta get some sleep.  One more thing to try as an adjunct to the oil.

Crush just a little Alka-Seltzer and get him to swallow it.  Just a little bit, about 1/4 teaspoon.  This will increase the pressure (which he won't like much) and help move things from the top as you continue working on easing the passage down.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Crush just a little Alka-Seltzer and get him to swallow it.  Just a little bit, about 1/4 teaspoon.  This will increase the pressure (which he won't like much) and help move things from the top as you continue working on easing the passage down.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't work either. Jesus this bird is really angry.  I'm afraid to go to bed now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That didn't work either. Jesus this bird is really angry.  I'm afraid to go to bed now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/wqSkcyNZ_400x400_jpg-2084817.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not anger, that's a birb burp.

Well, some of it might be anger, because powdered Alka-Seltzer doesn't taste good at all (I know this through *bitter* experience).
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Any progress?  Hopefully you and Birby got a little sleep.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat

Be careful I think we're in tech.

But still
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#45]
@desertw0lf

Just checking to see if your Birb improved overnight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Be careful I think we're in tech.
But still
View Quote

I think you're right. I hadn't realized that.
Maybe we should petition to have it moved to GD?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@desertw0lf

View Quote

Sadly Mr. Cacklesworth didn't make it through the night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor lil birb.

Yes here's one of him normally.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/grackle-proof-cage-bird-feeder_jpg-2084761.JPG

Looks like a grackle there. That's quite a change. And please stop calling me "Normally".
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@desertw0lf

Sadly Mr. Cacklesworth didn't make it through the night.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252849/mwo_x1000_ipad_2_snap-pad_750x1000_f8f8f-2085091.JPG

He's flown away on gossamer wings and Alka Seltzer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top