Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2020 12:35:21 AM EDT
So im a big fatass. I know many of the problems of why im a fatass and have been working on them on and off for the last maybe 4 or 5 years.

Ive tried many different diets, and dont like doing stuff that is hard to keep up. The only thing that has worked is tracking calories, which i hate doing. I always end up stopping eventually, whether it is working or not.

The time i had the greatest luck was the first go i had after my last back surgery at the start of this journey to lose fat. I lost 80 pounds tracking my food over a year. I stopped tracking cause i hated doing it and figured i could eyeball it. Dead fucking wrong.

Since that time though, ive never had the same luck losing weight. I tried the same thing i had before, different diets (keto, IF, keto+IF, potato, etc), going to a nutritionist, etc and ibe just never been able to repeat. The main problem now too is, i have a shitty memory and cant remember how many calories i was doing or what my macros were and no longer have access to the app i was using to try and out.

Over the last couple of years, ive tried many different calculators to see how many calories i should be eating to lose weight and they range from 1800-2800 calories. I'll try a certain number, and have no or little results, lose stamina and stop. Wondering if someone has a better way of finding how many calories/what macros my body wants/needs to lose weight? Also any dietary tips for a fat man with a bad back who cant do a lot of exercising?

TL;DR good way to find out caloric intake/macro numbers and diet ideas beyond basic carbs bad, lean protein, healthy fats.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My brother has lost 80 plus pounds following Nutrisystems since Jul. I thimk mostly the first four months.  
I suspect a little too much cheating the last two months or he would be down 100.
I think I may try it but am substantially lower to start with than he though still not good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out this article and diet plan:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast47.htm

You will still have to track food intake still (just use My Fitness Pal), but they try to teach how to get away from constantly using a scale. The pdf has tons of info including how to calculate your TDEE. Also a pretty decent workout program to follow for high calorie burn if you are into lifting. Don't worry about the supplements they advertise, its their business and not necessary. It worked wonders for me dropping about 90+lbs back in the day. I have been following this more or less since then and able to keep the weight off and then some11. I cycle between this and IF+Keto. Depends on the time of year. This diet makes it easier around the holidays with allowed cheats.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brother has lost 80 plus pounds following Nutrisystems since Jul. I thimk mostly the first four months.  
I suspect a little too much cheating the last two months or he would be down 100.
I think I may try it but am substantially lower to start with than he though still not good.
View Quote

I have heard some success stories on nutrisystem. Ive never looked, but if i could get the point system thing for free, id try it.

Quoted:
Check out this article and diet plan:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast47.htm

You will still have to track food intake still (just use My Fitness Pal), but they try to teach how to get away from constantly using a scale. The pdf has tons of info including how to calculate your TDEE. Also a pretty decent workout program to follow for high calorie burn if you are into lifting. Don't worry about the supplements they advertise, its their business and not necessary. It worked wonders for me dropping about 90+lbs back in the day. I have been following this more or less since then and able to keep the weight off and then some11. I cycle between this and IF+Keto. Depends on the time of year. This diet makes it easier around the holidays with allowed cheats.
View Quote

Interesting...thank you for that. Just read it all. While most of it i knew, it was good to reread and refresh my memory, plus some things i didnt know and some stuff i had heard of and knew little about and it explained them some.

I might hit you up for some clarifications on the food servings. I like how plainly the workout plan is laid out though! Problem with it though, i have no equipment and no money for a gym membership! My brother might be getting a membership i can mooch off of though.

I'll keep an eye on that food list and try to be formulating plans based on it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have heard some success stories on nutrisystem. Ive never looked, but if i could get the point system thing for free, id try it.

Interesting...thank you for that. Just read it all. While most of it i knew, it was good to reread and refresh my memory, plus some things i didnt know and some stuff i had heard of and knew little about and it explained them some.

I might hit you up for some clarifications on the food servings. I like how plainly the workout plan is laid out though! Problem with it though, i have no equipment and no money for a gym membership! My brother might be getting a membership i can mooch off of though.

I'll keep an eye on that food list and try to be formulating plans based on it. Thanks!
View Quote

You don't need a gym or equipment to lose weight. Go for a walk, or a hike. Do push ups, sit ups and squats etc at home. As much as I hate to mention it, do you have a Planet Fitness in your area? Ten bucks a month is really hard to beat sometimes honestly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Start with 2000 and skip breakfast.

Do something moderately active each day, like walking for 20-30 minutes.

You have to track accurately, and don't cheat, give it a few weeks and see what happens, if you stall adjust it down.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You don't need a gym or equipment to lose weight. Go for a walk, or a hike. Do push ups, sit ups and squats etc at home. As much as I hate to mention it, do you have a Planet Fitness in your area? Ten bucks a month is really hard to beat sometimes honestly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. No need for a gym. I lost my gym, just like the majortiy of people, due to the lockdowns. I switched to at home workouts you can find on Youtube and outdoor cardio. Fitnessblender (beginner to advanced HIIT with or without equipment), Hasfit (a bit easier for beginners), Bodyrock (requires equipment), etc. They all have programs you can follow as well.

Since the scandemic started, I have actually dropped an additional 20 lbs and below my high school weight at the age of 40.

And to change things up I just picked up a relatively cheap bench system from Zeno gym to get back to some resistance training.

As for hitting me up, feel free. Happy to help and if I can't answer a question, I am married to a nutrionist who probably can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not through "Luck" that you will loose weight .... it's through hard work.

Commit yourself to losing weight and doing whatever is necessary and you will.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

And being a little hungry sometimes.

Last time I did a cut I skipped breakfast and would eat my first meal around noon. By the time lunch time rolled around I was fucking hungry.

Works though, makes it a lot easier to hit a calorie goal when you remove eating from a large part of the day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged for later reading...

I want to drop at least another 20 to 35 Lbs...  Loose my Gut, tone up my chest and arms.
I want to do this more for health reasons than appearance.
I've been cutting portions and making better choices the last month or so, but there is always room for improvement.

I don't want to count and measure stuff, I just want to Eat..  Sometimes I can't resist, then I feel like a schmuck with no will power.
I really, really struggle as Food and Sweets to me are like Crack to a Crack addict...
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I want to drop at least another 20 to 35 Lbs...  Loose my Gut, tone up my chest and arms.
I've been cutting portions and making better choices the last month or so, but there is always room for improvement.

I don't want to count and measure stuff, I just want to Eat..  Sometimes I can't resist, then I feel like a schmuck with no will power.
I really, really struggle as Food and Sweets to me are like Crack to a Crack addict...
View Quote

I've never been fat, but I have a serious weakness to candy, I'll eat it all if it's in the house.

So I just don't bring any into the house. If it's not there, I can't eat it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know a gym isn't needed, but that comment was more directed at the list of movements listed in the pdf that he pointed to. They laid out a workout plan, but a lot of them sounded like gym stuff.

I have lost weight a couple of times and I've never had a gym membership. Sometimes it would be nice to not have to jerry rig barbells out of gallons of water and stuff though...

Quoted:

You have to track accurately, and don't cheat, give it a few weeks and see what happens, if you stall adjust it down.
View Quote

That is the calories I have been doing recently, just not too hardcore about it at the moment, but going to be ramping up and getting on track.

The problem with skipping meals is I get crazy hungry and have a hard time calming it down the next time I eat. As I said, if I hate something, its hard to continue doing it, especially if no results are seen. I hate feeling starving, so that could be problematic. I have done IF a couple of times, some days it was ok, some days were murder, some I cheated, but ultimately, I didn't like it and quit.

The pdf plan C-ham recommended says the opposite and says to eat many smaller meals to keep insulin in check. That is a problem I've learned about weight/fat loss from trying for years, there are conflicting and different ways to go about getting the same results and it depends on the persons body. I've done smaller meals throughout the day with not great luck, but it is something I can stick too cause it is easy for me to eat. I think the issue when I have tried multiple smaller meals is that I didn't have a meal plan ready or have one laid out for me, the pdf he sent does have at least a partial list and what meal to eat the things on the list, so I'm gonna be giving it a try and see how it works out.

Quoted:

Exactly. No need for a gym. I lost my gym, just like the majortiy of people, due to the lockdowns. I switched to at home workouts you can find on Youtube and outdoor cardio. Fitnessblender (beginner to advanced HIIT with or without equipment), Hasfit (a bit easier for beginners), Bodyrock (requires equipment), etc. They all have programs you can follow as well.

Since the scandemic started, I have actually dropped an additional 20 lbs and below my high school weight at the age of 40.

And to change things up I just picked up a relatively cheap bench system from Zeno gym to get back to some resistance training.

As for hitting me up, feel free. Happy to help and if I can't answer a question, I am married to a nutrionist who probably can.
View Quote

I've done at home and will probably to continue to do so (unless my brother gets his membership, then i'll try my hand at a gym in the middle of the night in the corner!). My biggest issues with working out is, I absolutely HATE working out and I'm always afraid of doing motions wrong and either reinjuring myself, or giving myself a new injury to go along with my others! It's cheap to do it at home and necessary for gaining muscle, so I will continue, but I will hate every second of it...

I will almost certainly be hitting you up soon, got some stuff to sort through and when I take a break I will try writing, thanks!

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know a gym isn't needed, but that comment was more directed at the list of movements listed in the pdf that he pointed to. They laid out a workout plan, but a lot of them sounded like gym stuff.

I have lost weight a couple of times and I've never had a gym membership. Sometimes it would be nice to not have to jerry rig barbells out of gallons of water and stuff though...

That is the calories I have been doing recently, just not too hardcore about it at the moment, but going to be ramping up and getting on track.

The problem with skipping meals is I get crazy hungry and have a hard time calming it down the next time I eat. As I said, if I hate something, its hard to continue doing it, especially if no results are seen. I hate feeling starving, so that could be problematic. I have done IF a couple of times, some days it was ok, some days were murder, some I cheated, but ultimately, I didn't like it and quit.

The pdf plan C-ham recommended says the opposite and says to eat many smaller meals to keep insulin in check. That is a problem I've learned about weight/fat loss from trying for years, there are conflicting and different ways to go about getting the same results and it depends on the persons body. I've done smaller meals throughout the day with not great luck, but it is something I can stick too cause it is easy for me to eat. I think the issue when I have tried multiple smaller meals is that I didn't have a meal plan ready or have one laid out for me, the pdf he sent does have at least a partial list and what meal to eat the things on the list, so I'm gonna be giving it a try and see how it works out.

I've done at home and will probably to continue to do so (unless my brother gets his membership, then i'll try my hand at a gym in the middle of the night in the corner!). My biggest issues with working out is, I absolutely HATE working out and I'm always afraid of doing motions wrong and either reinjuring myself, or giving myself a new injury to go along with my others! It's cheap to do it at home and necessary for gaining muscle, so I will continue, but I will hate every second of it...

I will almost certainly be hitting you up soon, got some stuff to sort through and when I take a break I will try writing, thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The default answer for training hunger is to get into ketosis.

I'm not a keto warrior, but eating that much fat really do keep you satiated much better.

I was trying to gain weight on it and it didn't work, I couldn't eat enough.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, I know that to be true. I have done it, and CAN do it again, what I would like though, is a way to do it so it doesn't feel like work so it actually stays a habit and I don't do this yo-yo shit.

I do commit when I'm ready to get it done, it's keeping it going long term (whether there are results or not) is the problem I would most like to overcome.

Quoted:

And being a little hungry sometimes.

Last time I did a cut I skipped breakfast and would eat my first meal around noon. By the time lunch time rolled around I was fucking hungry.

Works though, makes it a lot easier to hit a calorie goal when you remove eating from a large part of the day.
View Quote

When I started trying to lose weight, the biggest and strangest thing I learned is that you are SUPPOSED to feel hungry. That absolutely blew my mind. I've almost ALWAYS ate until I was full, I thought that is what you were supposed to do and I had never heard that you weren't supposed to.

So not sure if its because I'm so used to being full or just because I'm a fatass, but when I do the skip meals thing, I binge like a son of a bitch...

Quoted:

View Quote

Whats up brotha from anotha motha?! haha Except I WISH I only so little to lose as you! 100 pounds is the minimum I'm looking to lose and I'd still probably weigh more than everyone in this thread!

It's funny when I think about it. I still eat the healthier foods, so its not like I eat for taste, but I just can't seem to stop. I get no pleasure from it, its like a compulsion or something, well until I start to get light headed, then I think I actually need it! haha
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So im a big fatass. I know many of the problems of why im a fatass and have been working on them on and off for the last maybe 4 or 5 years.

Ive tried many different diets, and dont like doing stuff that is hard to keep up. The only thing that has worked is tracking calories, which i hate doing. I always end up stopping eventually, whether it is working or not.

The time i had the greatest luck was the first go i had after my last back surgery at the start of this journey to lose fat. I lost 80 pounds tracking my food over a year. I stopped tracking cause i hated doing it and figured i could eyeball it. Dead fucking wrong.

Since that time though, ive never had the same luck losing weight. I tried the same thing i had before, different diets (keto, IF, keto+IF, potato, etc), going to a nutritionist, etc and ibe just never been able to repeat. The main problem now too is, i have a shitty memory and cant remember how many calories i was doing or what my macros were and no longer have access to the app i was using to try and out.

Over the last couple of years, ive tried many different calculators to see how many calories i should be eating to lose weight and they range from 1800-2800 calories. I'll try a certain number, and have no or little results, lose stamina and stop. Wondering if someone has a better way of finding how many calories/what macros my body wants/needs to lose weight? Also any dietary tips for a fat man with a bad back who cant do a lot of exercising?

TL;DR good way to find out caloric intake/macro numbers and diet ideas beyond basic carbs bad, lean protein, healthy fats.
View Quote

Try this.  

-Count everything you eat for six weeks.  
-Pick a number to lock into.  I lose around 1.2-1.5 #/week eating 2700 average, but i'm very active.  
-Keep your daily activity consistent.  Get a fitbit or other step tracker, and if you're working out, keep that consistent...i.e. 10000 steps/day and 3 weightlifting sessions a week.  
-Weigh in 3x/week, naked, first thing in the morning (before any food/drink).  Take the average of those three weigh ins.
-track your weight for a six week period.  Divide total weight loss by the number of weeks. This will show one of three things:

1.  You are losing weight, and thus in a deficit.  
2.  You've lost no or a negilible amount of weight, thus in an equilibrium and have revealed your rough TDEE
3.  You are gaining weight and in a surplus.  

From the above results, lets say you lost an average of 1#/week eating 2k calories/day.  That would put your TDEE at around 2500cals/day.  

The data out of the scale is only as good as what you put in.  If your calorie logging is shit, results out will be shit.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I started trying to lose weight, the biggest and strangest thing I learned is that you are SUPPOSED to feel hungry. That absolutely blew my mind. I've almost ALWAYS ate until I was full, I thought that is what you were supposed to do and I had never heard that you weren't supposed to.

View Quote

Everyone is different.

I think one of the worst things parents are doing now to kids is training them that not being full is the same as being hungry, and this results in the same feelings for those kids as they grow.

I remember pretty specifically getting kicked out of the house after breakfast, and we couldn't come back in to eat until lunch, now kids are given things to graze on 24/7 and then we are shocked when they can't go without eating for awhile.

Activity is a big deterrent to hunger too. I've been on pours that were 12 hours long with almost no breaks and as your working you drink water and keep pushing, then the end of the day shows up and it hits you hard that you are fucking hungry, but working right through lunch wasn't a big deal because you were so occupied with working.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've never been fat, but I have a serious weakness to candy, I'll eat it all if it's in the house.

View Quote

Quoted:

The default answer for training hunger is to get into ketosis.

I'm not a keto warrior, but eating that much fat really do keep you satiated much better.

I was trying to gain weight on it and it didn't work, I couldn't eat enough.
View Quote

I've never been a sweets guy, I was always about the salty. That was until I started trying to eat healthier, now I eat it if its around. Don't crave it much, but if I see it, I'll scarf most down. There are certain sweets I don't like and those I still have no problem not eating. My wife is a baker, loves to bake cookies, cakes, cupcakes, all that shit. Never was an issue until recently. I'm an asshole, just not a big enough asshole to tell her she can't have her hobby because I am a fatass with no willpower, so the stuff will keep coming into my house as long as she is around.

I've done keto twice, once with IF and once without. It did nothing for me weight wise, I felt like shit the entire time and was so tired of food after a week, plus (for me) it would be near impossible to keep doing for the rest of my life. I've heard all the stories from people about how great it is, but my body doesn't like it.

I was using the test strips to verify, I did them at a minimum of 2 months each, so not the keto flu I was feeling. I was lethargic, foggy and had all day headaches, it was fucking horrible. Also for as good as it sounded to eat fat and fatty foods all day, that sucked too. Everything just started to taste the same and I actually hated that it was time to eat. So unless I become EXTREMELY desperate, keto is off the table for me.

My back has gotten slightly better than a few years ago, but when I went to the nutritionist, she put me on plans and I stuck to them and lost close to nothing. I refuse to cheat or lie about what I ate, I would only be cheating myself, and I don't do that. So I did everything she told me to do (obviously I fucked up sometimes, I'm human) but didn't lose much, she thought my body could have been too stressed from the back pain to lose the weight, unsure if that was a cop out or true? She also told me I was a candidate for weight loss surgery, but I've heard too many nightmare stories about that, plus it just feels like cheating. On the flip side though...FUCK being fat!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Try this.  

-Pick a number to lock into.  I lose around 1.2-1.5 #/week eating 2700 average, but i'm very active.  
-Keep your daily activity consistent.  Get a fitbit or other step tracker, and if you're working out, keep that consistent...i.e. 10000 steps/day and 3 weightlifting sessions a week.  
-Weigh in 3x/week, naked, first thing in the morning (before any food/drink).  Take the average of those three weigh ins.
-track your weight for a six week period.  Divide total weight loss by the number of weeks. This will show one of three things:

2.  You've lost no or a negilible amount of weight, thus in an equilibrium and have revealed your rough TDEE

From the above results, lets say you lost an average of 1#/week eating 2k calories/day.  That would put your TDEE at around 2500cals/day.  

The data out of the scale is only as good as what you put in.  If your calorie logging is shit, results out will be shit.  

Good luck.
View Quote

I like this, thank you!

I am going to try what another poster posted, but if it doesn't work or I do need to find MY TDEE, I will definitely be using this, thank you again!

Quoted:

Everyone is different.

I think one of the worst things parents are doing now to kids is training them that not being full is the same as being hungry, and this results in the same feelings for those kids as they grow.

I remember pretty specifically getting kicked out of the house after breakfast, and we couldn't come back in to eat until lunch, now kids are given things to graze on 24/7 and then we are shocked when they can't go without eating for awhile.

Activity is a big deterrent to hunger too. I've been on pours that were 12 hours long with almost no breaks and as your working you drink water and keep pushing, then the end of the day shows up and it hits you hard that you are fucking hungry, but working right through lunch wasn't a big deal because you were so occupied with working.
View Quote

When I was growing up, you werent allowed to leave food or skip a meal. If I didn't finish dinner, its what I would have for breakfast, if spinach makes you throw up, tough shit, eat it. I think I still hold onto that. I do absolutely hate throwing food away. I think puberty fucked with me too. I was a skinny child, as soon as puberty hit, I was a thick motherfucker.

I have definitely noticed that if I am super engaged in something, I don't think about eating and I don't feel as hungry, but as I said earlier, when it does hit though, I eat like 4000 calories! haha. The problem with that though is, I'm a stay at home mom (stay at home dad just sounds pretentious...) with a bad back. So while I do house work, cooking, little side business, while home, its not enough to fully engage me like a real job and I can't do things for a long time to keep me occupied like I used to because of my back and nerve damage in my legs.

Hell, sitting at the computer writing these messages is killing my back and I didn't even get to do my budget like I was supposed to! I have to take a break now cause sitting is kicking my backs ass!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like this, thank you!

I am going to try what another poster posted, but if it doesn't work or I do need to find MY TDEE, I will definitely be using this, thank you again!

When I was growing up, you werent allowed to leave food or skip a meal. If I didn't finish dinner, its what I would have for breakfast, if spinach makes you throw up, tough shit, eat it. I think I still hold onto that. I do absolutely hate throwing food away. I think puberty fucked with me too. I was a skinny child, as soon as puberty hit, I was a thick motherfucker.

I have definitely noticed that if I am super engaged in something, I don't think about eating and I don't feel as hungry, but as I said earlier, when it does hit though, I eat like 4000 calories! haha. The problem with that though is, I'm a stay at home mom (stay at home dad just sounds pretentious...) with a bad back. So while I do house work, cooking, little side business, while home, its not enough to fully engage me like a real job and I can't do things for a long time to keep me occupied like I used to because of my back and nerve damage in my legs.

Hell, sitting at the computer writing these messages is killing my back and I didn't even get to do my budget like I was supposed to! I have to take a break now cause sitting is kicking my backs ass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this.  

Good luck.

I like this, thank you!

Quoted:

Everyone is different.

I've seen in forums people describing that same thing manifesting itself as eating issues later in life.

Makes sense, as it teaches you to continue eating past the point of satiety and until there is no more food left, which is probably not a great thing to be doing to your subconscious when your brain is still super pliable.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ll go outside the box a bit...

If you really have 100 lbs to lose, your primary goal should be cleaning up your food choices not counting calories. You obviously are going to need a caloric deficit to lose weight, but people don’t end up 100 pounds over weight by eating chicken, fish, fruits and veggies that they cooked at home. While not as precise as punting calories, I think you truly can eyeball your plate. You aren’t in a position where 100 cals is going to make or break you.....  1/4 plate clean low fat protein, 1/4 carbs (no butter and BS added, and a half plate of veggies. If you are eating white fish, feel free to add a touch of oil here and there. I submit to you that you can keep it low calorie, healthy, and stay full. If you want more food, get more vegetables and eat em. As you get used to eating clean, start moving to counting calories. Start easy and move to more difficult,

There is no evidence to show Over the long term keto is any better than a regular negative calorie diet. Most people see faster immediate results, but you need to be in this for the long haul. 100 pounds overweight WILL cause you to die sooner rather than later. Your metabolism will rebound faster than you think. The more important thing is finding what works for you. Keto is popular right now, but it is not all it is cracked up to be IMO.

Exercise is a must and will help the process. If you aren’t doing much now, get a morning and evening 20 minute walk in minimum. Eventually move to weight training if possible, as well as a jog, to a run etc. Start easy, and move to more difficult here as well.

I say all this as a guy that is pretty well versed in nutrition. I’ve been single digit body fat, and know lots of the ins and outs. Feel free to PM me any questions. I’d even be happy to give you a quick go/no go food list to help you get started. It’s been a hobby of mine for several years.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. Samesies.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
OP,

1. It’s going to take hard work. And your desire to lose weight has to outweigh your desire to eat unhealthy food or stay on the couch. That’s the BLUF, and everyone struggles with it. Discipline has to be exercised. Start small.

2. Like you, I dislike counting calories, but I have had some luck using the myfitnesspal app.

3. The most successful I have been, and the leanest I got (about 13.5% body fat) was by eating strict paleo 6 days a week. The 7th day was my Cheat day. All week I ate healthy (about 50% calories from protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs) and made a list of all the “good food” I would eat on Saturday.

Then Saturday would roll around and I would have a handful of some of the things I’d craved during the week, and satisfy my less healthy urges, and be ready for another 6 days of eating clean. It was sustainable and fun for me.

I also maintained a solid lifting program at the same time, which helped.

Then I got married and eating clean is a lot more difficult.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you really have 100 lbs to lose, your primary goal should be cleaning up your food choices not counting calories. You obviously are going to need a caloric deficit to lose weight, but people don’t end up 100 pounds over weight by eating chicken, fish, fruits and veggies that they cooked at home. While not as precise as punting calories, I think you truly can eyeball your plate. You aren’t in a position where 100 cals is going to make or break you.....  1/4 plate clean low fat protein, 1/4 carbs (no butter and BS added, and a half plate of veggies. If you are eating white fish, feel free to add a touch of oil here and there. I submit to you that you can keep it low calorie, healthy, and stay full. If you want more food, get more vegetables and eat em. As you get used to eating clean, start moving to counting calories. Start easy and move to more difficult,

There is no evidence to show Over the long term keto is any better than a regular negative calorie diet. Most people see faster immediate results, but you need to be in this for the long haul. 100 pounds overweight WILL cause you to die sooner rather than later. Your metabolism will rebound faster than you think. The more important thing is finding what works for you. Keto is popular right now, but it is not all it is cracked up to be IMO.

Exercise is a must and will help the process. If you aren’t doing much now, get a morning and evening 20 minute walk in minimum. Eventually move to weight training if possible, as well as a jog, to a run etc. Start easy, and move to more difficult here as well.

I say all this as a guy that is pretty well versed in nutrition. I’ve been single digit body fat, and know lots of the ins and outs. Feel free to PM me any questions. I’d even be happy to give you a quick go/no go food list to help you get started. It’s been a hobby of mine for several years.
View Quote

Obviously, most of what you say is correct.

I dont believe i eat too unhealthy of foods (well most of the time, obviously i do sometimes) most of the time. I believe (which i could be wrong) that its mostly i overeat, even on healthier foods, snack a lot and can't/don't move enough.

I dont eat fast food, its been years since ive eaten fast food. I eat out maybe once a month (and not by choice), i dont drink alcohol, tea, coffee or soda, i dont eat red meat, i dont eat dairy and i normally dont like sweets. I mainly eat boneless skinless chicken breast, ground turkey and cod for meat and veggies and random shit for sides (sometimes good, sometimes bad).

Since i started from that pdf up above a few days ago (or whenever the hell i started) i forgot that i used to eat way more veggies when i was losing weight. Ive been eating vegetables and eat them all the time, just not in the quantities i am right now. Kind of like you were mentioning, half a plate or so. Im now eating 2 cups of veggies per meal instead of the maybe 1/4-1/2 cup per meal i have been doing and not losing weight.

I am focused at the moment, so ive been doing stretching and walking as my exercise. Just going light to not hurt myself since ive been inactive the last month or 2. Im hoping to be in better shape when the stupid heat comes back so maybe i can keep the momentum going. I fucking hate the weather here and cant wait to leave.

I will def PM you, thanks.

Quoted:
OP,

1. It’s going to take hard work. And your desire to lose weight has to outweigh your desire to eat unhealthy food or stay on the couch. That’s the BLUF, and everyone struggles with it. Discipline has to be exercised. Start small.

2. Like you, I dislike counting calories, but I have had some luck using the myfitnesspal app.

3. The most successful I have been, and the leanest I got (about 13.5% body fat) was by eating strict paleo 6 days a week. The 7th day was my Cheat day. All week I ate healthy (about 50% calories from protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs) and made a list of all the “good food” I would eat on Saturday.

Then Saturday would roll around and I would have a handful of some of the things I’d craved during the week, and satisfy my less healthy urges, and be ready for another 6 days of eating clean. It was sustainable and fun for me.

I also maintained a solid lifting program at the same time, which helped.

Then I got married and eating clean is a lot more difficult.
View Quote

Yeah, when i get motivated, i go at 110%, until i dont see results or results i think i should see, then i go to -20%! Haha. I get demotivated quickly. The healthy eating is fine for me, but the couch part you mention is spot on. Id much rather keep laying than get up.

I do have a tracking app i like. I dont care for myfitnesspal, too many ads and annoying bullshit, plus to me, the user interface sucks.

Im glad that worked for you, but that sort of eating is the kind id like to avoid. It might be wishful thinking what im looking for, but just an easy way to eat and lose weight. I guess as a couple people have mentioned, lots of veggies with lean protein is about the best im going to get, which is pretty easy, just gotta remember to keep it going and not fet sidetracked.

Marriage is a huge issue for me in many ways. I hate throwing away food, my wife doesnt eat much, and doesnt like leftovers. So i eat my food, finish her food and whatever my leftovers my son doesnt eat, i do. Like i said, overeating is a big issue for me. Plus she buys garbage ass food, likes to bake sweets and make me things for holidays, even though she knows im trying to lose weight, sometimes i honestly think she is the devil! Haha. I dont want to put all the blame on her cause its mostly me and my problems and lack of willpower, but sometimes im just like "fuck! Can you not buy 3 bags of chips at one time cause you know im gonna eat them all?!" But she still does...and poof, 3 bags are gone in a day or 2...
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Anytime! I see veggies as free food almost from a calorie standpoint. You can eat tons to feel and stay full, for relatively minor calories. The ranch dressing, oil etc is usually what kills this benefit for most. You can defiantly make them taste good and keep them clean/healthy. If you are “hungry” and don’t want veggies, it’s likely more a craving than hunger.

You are ahead of most by having lots of the bad stuff already kicked out of your diet.

The more activity the better obviously. Definitely work up to it however. If you get to a point you can pack on a bit more muscle, the fat will seemingly melt off.

I would urge you to stay away from “cheat days”. You can do a lot of damage to your progress with them. Especially if you are a volume eater. If what you are eating is so terrible you need a cheat day, your plan isn’t sustainable. If you really have a hankering for a food, I would suggest you possibly have an off plan meal, and try and keep them a month or longer apart if possible. Learning to cook things you like helps immensely here. This is different than what is “common” or internet knowledge. Lots of people in good shape see benefit from off meal plans. For those cutting into low levels of body fat (arguably unhealthy as well), these off plan meals become necessary to a point. In the arena you are in, it will just lead you down the path of going off plan, which should be as infrequent as possible.

From a convenience stand point, I live by my instant pot and pellet grill. When you haven’t prioritized your time to cook, both can be life savers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Carnivore. Eat all the meat you want whenever you want. Only eat meat, fish or eggs.

You’ll never be hungry and when you are you can eat as much as you want
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Carnivore. Eat all the meat you want whenever you want. Only eat meat, fish or eggs.

You’ll never be hungry and when you are you can eat as much as you want
View Quote

That's a bit extreme, just like keto, eliminating entire large groups of food from a diet is a great way to burn out mentally, especially when tracking and eating reasonable ratios works pretty much every time.

Maybe for some people that lack any self control it's a good way to reset, but personally I want some toast or a cookie every now and then so I fit those things into a diet that is very heavily based around animal products.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's a bit extreme, just like keto, eliminating entire large groups of food from a diet is a great way to burn out mentally, especially when tracking and eating reasonable ratios works pretty much every time.

Maybe for some people that lack any self control it's a good way to reset, but personally I want some toast or a cookie every now and then so I fit those things into a diet that is very heavily based around animal products.
View Quote

I concur. Add to that i dont eat red meat and ive got a very constrained diet.

When i did keto, it was so weird to eat no fruit and the extremely small amount and limited selection of vegetables i could have. No way i couldnt eat any.

Well since i made this thread im doing roughly what the pdf from the 2nd or 3rd post says (which is basically low GI food, a lot of veggies, lean protein, good fat, lots of meals) and have lost 3 pounds. My back and neck were acting up this last week so i missed out on some walks and ate shitty a couple days, so it should be higher, but i fucked it up.

Im hoping to lose 4 more by the end of the month. Thanks for the replies/ideas/help. Its appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anytime! I see veggies as free food almost from a calorie standpoint. You can eat tons to feel and stay full, for relatively minor calories. The ranch dressing, oil etc is usually what kills this benefit for most. You can defiantly make them taste good and keep them clean/healthy. If you are “hungry” and don’t want veggies, it’s likely more a craving than hunger.

You are ahead of most by having lots of the bad stuff already kicked out of your diet.

The more activity the better obviously. Definitely work up to it however. If you get to a point you can pack on a bit more muscle, the fat will seemingly melt off.

I would urge you to stay away from “cheat days”. You can do a lot of damage to your progress with them. Especially if you are a volume eater. If what you are eating is so terrible you need a cheat day, your plan isn’t sustainable. If you really have a hankering for a food, I would suggest you possibly have an off plan meal, and try and keep them a month or longer apart if possible. Learning to cook things you like helps immensely here. This is different than what is “common” or internet knowledge. Lots of people in good shape see benefit from off meal plans. For those cutting into low levels of body fat (arguably unhealthy as well), these off plan meals become necessary to a point. In the arena you are in, it will just lead you down the path of going off plan, which should be as infrequent as possible.

From a convenience stand point, I live by my instant pot and pellet grill. When you haven’t prioritized your time to cook, both can be life savers.
View Quote

And dude, i keep meaning to message you, i just suck! Got a million different things going on and just keep putting it off and/or forgetting. Randomly i'll write you one day! Haha, but thank you for offering again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#28]
You sound a lot like me, the only time I have ever had success losing weight is when I track calories religiously. I used to have a Samsung phone and used the Samsung health app, that worked great, but there are other apps you can use. Commit to tracking all of the calories you put in your body every day, put in the work. Some other big helps I've found are cutting out high calorie drinks like soda and beer, or at least cutting way back. Lastly the one thing that really allowed me to break through a weight loss plateu was intermittent fasting, 16:8 ratio is easy to stick to every day and is essentially just skipping breakfast, it's pretty easy to compress your eating window into 8 hours, from 10am to 6pm worked well for me, or 12pm to 8pm. It also allows you to have bigger meals than if you just did calorie restriction, since you'll be having fewer meals. After you lose a significant amount of weight your maintenance calories go down and you can plateau, 16:8 intermittent fasting really can help break through that, it's a lot easier to eat 3 700-800 calorie meals in an 8 hour window than it is to eat 4 500-600 calorie meals throughout the whole day. There's a lot of conflicting info about IF, but it's worth looking into. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're not outside the box at all, although I have no problem with wild game, beef, or pork, especially leaner cuts.

IMO, the key to minimize the amount of processed food one eats.  roasted or sauteed meat is better than meatloaf/breaded&fried,  extra-virgin oils are better fats than butter, bananas are better than banana chips.  Cooking is fine, but minimize the amount of calorie-adding ingredients.  Sautee is better than deep fry.  

Prioritize protein and non-startchy vegetables.  Don't be afraid of high-fiber fruits like apples, oranges, and berries, but avoid fruit juices or sweetened fruit.

Don't drink your calories - water, black coffee, unsweetened tea, seltzer

Limit bread, pasta, and other grains (rice, quinoa, etc)
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Lots of good info given and i *think* i adhere to (most of) them. I know i have a few eating issues, so i am trying to overcome those as well. Problem is, the only real "normal" i have is my own, obviously continuing that way isnt helpful as that is what has caused me to gain weight.

Im wondering if some of you would humor me and go through maybe a couple days of my diet and let me know what im doing right and what im doing wrong? I know the scale isnt the end all be all and can be detrimental, but i still do pay some attention to it to track. It obviously doesnt tell me if ive gained/lost fat or muscle, but it tells me something. My clothes are all big, so i cant tell if stuff fits differently and my body feels like shit daily, no real chance to tell if i feel better either.

Ive heard the big things with losing weight are sleep, hydration, diet and exercise. I think i have the hydration and diet okayish, ive been walking even though i hate it and sleep, well sleep is a fickle bitch!

So for today. I went to bed around 2am. After multiple wakeups for taking a piss, letting the dogs out or body aches, i actually got up at about 9am, took my morning shit (which since i went to eating a lot of veggies is like slick tar, not sure if normal) and made breakfast.

Here is breakfast, the plate is 10.25" across for scale.
Attachment Attached File

Those are bbq beans, peas and carrots and 2 large eggs. The bbq (or baked beans? Dont know the difference...) Are probably the worse things ive eaten since the 2nd of this month. They have bbq sauce, mustard, ketchup, bacon onions and a little brown sugar in them. We are testing out our new instant pot, so i am eating them.

I didnt measure or weigh anything. Id assume maybe 1.5 cups of each, maybe 2 cups? The eggs were cooked in olive oil. By this point ive had maybe 16ish or so ounces of water.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
So i was typing that up while eating. Its now a little after 10 am and this is what i have left, since i didnt finish it all.

Attachment Attached File

Now not eating it all is a huge victory for me as one of the main problems i have is overeating. While i still think i may have eaten slightly too much, its not too bad. This is definitely new for me, ive done it a couple times over the last week or 2, but probably still not as often as i should.

Even just 3 weeks ago i would have smashed that plate easily, so hopefully my brain and/or stomach is starting to work! We'll see. The biggest problem and why i want to document and see if its normal, is with the food and amounts i eat i still will feel "hungry" and sometimes even feel lightheaded, like i havent eaten enough.

Also at this time im finishing my 2nd water bottle for the day, so 32 oz of water.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]
So its noon, just finished the plate of leftover breakfast and my 3rd water bottle. I wasnt very hungry, but trying to keep insulin levels level or some such sciency shit with small constant meals!

12:45 pm 4th water bottle done.

3:00 pm finishing 5th water bottle and eating again. Last of the beans, veggies, ground turkey with sauteed mushrooms on top.

Attachment Attached File

5:15pm finished 6th water bottle and having another meal. Plus about half a cup of crushed pineapple.

Attachment Attached File

6:30pm finished 7th water bottle.

7:45 pm salad with ground turkey, dry roasted peanuts, raisins and honey mustard. Normally have italian, but dont have any right now. I went a little overboard on the dressing too on accident!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#33]
8:15pm went on a 1.25 mile walk.

9:30pm So the bbq beans were the worst i had up until now. Of course when im posting pics of my food, i eat something shitty!

So the wife made a raspberry sauce to put on pancakes with whipped cream and didnt finish them. Finished them for dessert. First processed carbs and "dairy" (unsure if cool whip even has dairy in it?!) ive had in about 3 weeks, we'll see how i feel after...i finished a bottle of water too, unsure if 8th or 9th.

Attachment Attached File

And of course, a midnight snack. Leftover ground turkey, about 3oz and about.5-1 tablespoon of peanut butter. Laying down now, will read arfcom and wind down, should be asleep by about 1am.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So the wife made a raspberry sauce to put on pancakes with whipped cream and didnt finish them. Finished them for dessert. First processed carbs and "dairy" (unsure if cool whip even has dairy in it?!) ive had in about 3 weeks, we'll see how i feel after...i finished a bottle of water too, unsure if 8th or 9th.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484868/IMG_20201220_212845_jpg-1741136.JPG

And of course, a midnight snack. Leftover ground turkey, about 3oz and about.5-1 tablespoon of peanut butter. Laying down now, will read arfcom and wind down, should be asleep by about 1am.
View Quote

No offense man, but both of those are habits of fat people.

Finishing food just because it's there and snacking pile on extra calories over time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No offense man, but both of those are habits of fat people.

Finishing food just because it's there and snacking pile on extra calories over time.
View Quote

None taken, thats why im putting this up, to get feedback. I know those 2 things are big issues for me.

Sometimes i eat the food just because its there, mostly, its because i dont want it to go bad. Ive gotten *slightly* better about it, but still a problem. I only finished those that had the raspberry sauce, there are still some pancakes my son didnt finish, but im not going to eat those.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#36]
So was woken up many times by animals, bathroom breaks and discomfort. Got out of bed somewhere around 8:30-9am.

Had to wake everyone else up and wrestle with my dog outside, he is having bowel issues.

11am, eating breakfast and have had 2 water bottles, working on number 3. Eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, peas.

Attachment Attached File

2:00pm Was working on some other stuff and pushed back eating a bit. Ground turkey, peas, brussel sprouts. Might be working on my 4th water bottle, slacking on drinking today and losing track.

Attachment Attached File

4:30 pm, ran a couple of errands and am fucking hungry! Eating a small bit of leftovers before cooking something so i hopefully dont snack or eat shitty shit. A little turkey, a couple random potatoes and peas.

Attachment Attached File

7pm some chicken and vegetables.

Attachment Attached File

9:45 pm went on a 1-1.25 mile walk.

10:15-10:30 ate a half a chicken breast.

Went to bed at midnight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
So those are 2 pretty typical days for me. Most days i walk, some days my back or knees hurt and i take a day off.

Ive always heard when you have a lot of weight to lose, you lose the first bit faster. I never lose any weight fast. Maybe im expecting too much, but with eating like that for 3 weeks, ive lost roughly 2 pounds. My scale is cheap and can fluctuate.

So i was hoping someone could give their opinion on if im doing stuff right or wrong. Too much food or  too little? Too many meals or not enough? Too many veggies or not enough? Too high of expectations? Not enough sleep? My body just fucking hates me?

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So those are 2 pretty typical days for me. Most days i walk, some days my back or knees hurt and i take a day off.

Ive always heard when you have a lot of weight to lose, you lose the first bit faster. I never lose any weight fast. Maybe im expecting too much, but with eating like that for 3 weeks, ive lost roughly 2 pounds. My scale is cheap and can fluctuate.

So i was hoping someone could give their opinion on if im doing stuff right or wrong. Too much food or  too little? Too many meals or not enough? Too many veggies or not enough? Too high of expectations? Not enough sleep? My body just fucking hates me?

View Quote

If you are losing weight, it's the right amount of food.

If you aren't it's too much food.

Without actually weighing and tracking you are kind of just taking an educated guess each day. To me that seems like a bad approach when using hard numbers for a few months will give you some actual data to use.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you are losing weight, it's the right amount of food.

If you aren't it's too much food.

Without actually weighing and tracking you are kind of just taking an educated guess each day. To me that seems like a bad approach when using hard numbers for a few months will give you some actual data to use.
View Quote

Well, i lost some weight the first 2 weeks, now i didnt. I have been walking everyday, unsure if that is enough movement to offset muscle and fat.

I get the hard data thing. I understand it is the best way to judge,plan and change accordingly for things. That said, if i wont follow tracking, its utterly worthless.

That being said, randomly over the last couple of years at different times, i have followed data to loss weight to no avail. Ive gone from 2000-3000 calories a day in 200 calorie increments for months at a time. In all those different amounts, ive yet to lose the 12 pounds i need to drop below 300 pounds.

So with data, i havent gotten any further than without data and as i said, i know i cant stick to tracking.

Im just not sure what to do at this point.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you weighing your food when you track it?

If you aren't you're still just taking a guess.

Tracking calories sucks, I did it for 4 months daily when I finally buckled down.

I was doing the opposite though, trying to gain weight. I always thought I ate like a horse. Weighing all my food told me otherwise. Eating over 3000 calories a day and keeping it kind of clean was a bitch when I first started.

Losing weight is the same principle. You might think you are doing what you're supposed to, but unless you know for sure it's all just a guess. The more variables you can control, the more the whole process is likely to work.

The nice thing about cutting, is extra activity just means a higher TDEE, and more of a calorie deficit each week.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Meat and veg are good for you in the right amounts.

Sugar and simple carbs are not (dressing, desert, ketchup, bbq sauce). It's way easy to consume too much.

If you're not going to bring the discipline to track everything and make sure you're eating within your macros, you'd be better off setting a guideline to cut the wrong foods out entirely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top