Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2022 1:29:05 PM EDT
I've owned this for almost 10 years and it's been pretty reliable. Mowed for the first time a couple weeks ago. As I finished my 30 minute cut, it started running rough and then died. I was able to get it to restart but I had to keep one of the 'parking brake switches' manually depressed with my finger for it to run. There is obviously an issue and operating it that way isn't sustainable.

I inspected the 2 'parking brake switches' and one seemed to be very worn out and the terminals were loose. I ordered 2 new switches for about $20 thinking that was the problem. It wasn't. I mowed and near the end of my mow, it kept dying. I would fire it up, engage the PTO, and then mow a few seconds before it would die again. Apparently it's not the parking brake switches.

I kept digging a little deeper on my inspection and found the fuel pump was leaking fuel. I ordered a new one and replaced it and "most" of the fuel lines (kit claimed it came with 60" of fuel line but it was only 24"). I also replaced the fuel filter at this time. It fired right up but I could tell it was running rough and something still isn't right. I have tested the fuel solenoid and it is functioning. I intend on replacing the other fuel lines when I procure some more fuel line.

Part of me feels like it's a fuel delivery problem but another part of me feels like it's part of a safety that's trying to kill the motor. It should be clear to you that I'm not really troubleshooting here - I'm merely just throwing parts at this chasing a problem. Looking for suggestions to properly identify my problem. I'm also including the wiring schematic if that helps identify something to check.

Thanks in advance!
https://imgur.com/a/rZ7tVAQ
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My rider has a tiny vent hole in the gas cap, when it is plugged it will shut the engine down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I mowed again last night. I've found it seems to run rough mostly when the blades are engaged. All 1/4" fuel lines have been replaced, new fuel filter and an oil change. Air filter is clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top