Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 1/6/2021 9:50:33 PM EDT
I read a book 20-30 years ago. It was a team of SF guys going on a mission. I remember one guy carries a shotgun.

I remember the title had something  to do with a hand or fist or fingers or something like that. I think.

Ring a bell?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The five fingers
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The five fingers
View Quote

Yes.

Gayle Rivers is the author.  Been looking for it myself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
"Gayle Rivers" is a total phony.

He was in the Australian Army quartermasters and his unit served the Aussie SAS.
He picked up just enough of the lingo listening to the troopers to sound like he was an operator.
He "left" the Aussie army one step ahead of being court marshaled for the old quartermaster disease of selling government property.
Other sources say he was in the New Zealand army quartermaster corp and his real name is Raymond Brooks.
This source says Brooks once tried out for a SAS reserve unit but failed.

He reinvented himself as a special operations anti-terrorism expert and often appeared on British and American TV as a former operator and expert, right down to "protecting his identity" by wearing (honest) a black hood.

In one of his last books he said that he'd just gotten back from teaching underwater demolitions to the US Navy SEAL's.
This was big news to the SEAL's because they're the worlds experts on demolitions and they do the teaching.
One of the SEALs contacted some friends in the British SAS to find out who this clown was, and they found out who he really was.

Rivers was exposed as a total liar and fake, but even after the British media told the US media he was a fake they continued using him as an expert for almost a year.
Reportedly some US and Brit special ops people finally had enough and got word to "Rivers" that it would be very good for his continued health to stop appearing and writing books claiming to be a special operator.

He dropped the "River's" ID and has apparently written other books under other names.

His first book "The Five Fingers" was a horrible joke pretending to have been taken from "real events".  Giving it a read you're are left wondering how they carried all that ammo over most of Asia and how they could walk that far.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s it. Thanks.

Yikes!  $150 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That’s it. Thanks.

Yikes!  $150 on Amazon.
View Quote

Interlibrary loans.   Azzwholes jack up the price on out-of-print books.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
 It was a Fun Read.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks. Ordered one.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top