Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2023 11:19:07 PM EDT
Back in the day, my MechWarrior 2 setup was mouse, keyboard, and one of those tiny Commodore 64 two-button joysticks on the left of the keyboard.  Mouse would control the torso x and y axes, fire (mouse 1) and cycle weapons (mouse 2); joystick would control chassis direction (x axis) and jump jets (y axis) and cycle through targets (buttons).

I haven't been able to find a small usb joystick, and all the big flight sim-type joysticks just seem too clunky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Back in the day, my MechWarrior 2 setup was mouse, keyboard, and one of those tiny Commodore 64 two-button joysticks on the left of the keyboard.  Mouse would control the torso x and y axes, fire (mouse 1) and cycle weapons (mouse 2); joystick would control chassis direction (x axis) and jump jets (y axis) and cycle through targets (buttons).

I haven't been able to find a small usb joystick, and all the big flight sim-type joysticks just seem too clunky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
View Quote
Xbox Controller?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Xbox Controller?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Xbox Controller?

^ this

I'm having a blast with MW5 on my Xbox. The controller works well once you disable lock arms to torso and enable counter rotation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks -- I'll have to borrow a controller and test this out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to use those flight stick things back in the MW2 days.  Now I just use an old wired XBOX 360 controller.

Just added a bunch of clan mechs with the mods.  Time to get my Timberwolf on!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
For mechwarrior, I used one of these: Razer Tartarus
The thumb pad is great for jumping and the direction pad on it could be used for weapons or torso twist. Every key is programmable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like it'll be much better than a flight stick or controller.  Will look into it.

Can't wait for Mechwarrior 5: Clans to release.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Any word on MW5 Clans release date?  I’m likely picking up an Xbox just to play it, Mechwarrior 2 was my first ever computer game and just recently got back into BattleTech so Clans is a must for me

Smoke Jaguars did nothing wrong
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
still nothing other than releases in 2024.

I'm eagerly awaiting it.  Jumped back in and bought Dragon's Gambit to remind myself how to play.

Finally got around to making myself a Steiner Scout Lance.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
still nothing other than releases in 2024.

I'm eagerly awaiting it.  Jumped back in and bought Dragon's Gambit to remind myself how to play.

Finally got around to making myself a Steiner Scout Lance.

https://i.postimg.cc/gJJ9RW4L/IMG_7636.jpg
View Quote

The Steiner scout Lance makes me think of the boys heading to get some protein after hitting the gym
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I just mouse/keyboard it. I have a joystick/throttle but it's too bulky so I never use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top