Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 4:37:09 PM EDT
Im interested in a Colt upper this company is selling and I asked this question:
Can you check the threads/bore for concentricity before shipping? This would be for suppressor use.

Their answer:
- No, we cannot check the concentricity, That has to be done before the barrel assy is put together. Just the barrel, no sight base or any other parts. (wut!?)
-  Also, Colt factory barrels can have quite a bit of thread run-out. THAT is why we NEVER use factory threads for our suppressed projects.
(He threw this in for some reason, but its never bothered me with any of my 16"ers. Weird, but OK)
- I do not recommend putting a can on a 16 inch barrel - creates really poor balance.

This makes no sense to me. Why wouldnt they be able to check a barreled upper? Its pretty simple as I understand it, hell Ive checked all my Colts by eyeballing them with the can screwed on. Just point the barrel at a bright light and look for the offset shadow. Sounds hillbilly but its works. Never had a baffle strike. Plus Im sure they have a gauge/rod for doing that. I get the part about being cautious of factory threads, but if they check it out and its centered? Then badda bing badda boom GTG!

Why? Liability?

(No Im not naming the company)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im interested in a Colt upper this company is selling and I asked this question:
Can you check the threads/bore for concentricity before shipping? This would be for suppressor use.

Their answer:
- No, we cannot check the concentricity, That has to be done before the barrel assy is put together. Just the barrel, no sight base or any other parts. (lol, wut!?)
-  Also, Colt factory barrels can have quite a bit of thread run-out. THAT is why we NEVER use factory threads for our suppressed projects.
(He threw this in for some reason, but its never bothered me with any of my 16"ers. Weird, but OK)
- I do not recommend putting a can on a 16 inch barrel - creates really poor balance.

This makes no sense to me. Why wouldnt they be able to do that? Its pretty simple as I understand it, hell Ive checked all my Colts by eyeballing them with the can screwed on. Just point the barrel at a bright light and look for the offset shadow. Sounds hillbilly but its works. Plus Im sure they have a gauge/rod for doing that. I get that part about being cautious of factory threads, but if they check out and its centered? Then badda bing badda boom GTG!

Why? Liability? Lazy?
View Quote

You're asking a gun shop to do something they are not able to do.

If they are able to do it:  Sure, let me remove the barrel and chuck it up in a lathe or live center on a granite block and check it.  Then we will reinstall it and ship it off to you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This isnt a gunshop. Theyre an online Colt dealer and build Colt guns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Put a can on it.  It will self machine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If they are able to do it:  Sure, let me remove the barrel and chuck it up in a lathe or live center on a granite block and check it.  Then we will reinstall it and ship it off to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their answer:
- No, we cannot check the concentricity, That has to be done before the barrel assy is put together. Just the barrel, no sight base or any other parts. (lol, wut!?)

This makes no sense to me. Why wouldnt they be able to do that? Its pretty simple as I understand it, hell Ive checked all my Colts by eyeballing them with the can screwed on. Just point the barrel at a bright light and look for the offset shadow. Sounds hillbilly but its works. Plus Im sure they have a gauge/rod for doing that. I get that part about being cautious of factory threads, but if they check out and its centered? Then badda bing badda boom GTG!

Why? Liability? Lazy?

If you genuinely believe that's how we check concentricity I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Most online places are moving some sort of volume, everything is boxed and stowed ready to be picked and shipped.  Probably don't have the time or resources to hand pick every customers barrel.  IMHO
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought Colt built Colt guns. I learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What I understand to be practically the best in the business for this type of thing -> https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/concentric-thread-check/

What do they have to say about it?  "We’ll check your barrel to make sure the bore is in the middle, the threads are concentric to the bore and the correct size. If you send a complete upper it will need to be disassembled."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The barrel is what ever Colt made it to be, unless you are paying for them to modify it they have no reason to guarantee that its free from factory defects.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Hillbilly eyeballing it isn't exactly a precise thing. Honestly I get their position as it's just more work and as soon as word gets out every single person will be asking them to do it. I've heard several shops say they've run into a ton of bad factory threads. i think it was ADCO that I first saw recommend checking all your stuff or having them recut before mounting suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

legit...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Because eyeballing it and checking it out on a lathe for the real measurable run out are pretty big different things

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because eyeballing it and checking it out on a lathe for the real measurable run out are pretty big different things

View Quote

Guess I should have specified "eyeballing it." Which would be fine with me if they gave it thumbs up

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It can be done by pulling the flash hider, threading on a bore concentricity gauge and inserting a precision rod.

The problem is most retail outfits don’t have that stuff and that isn’t part of the service.  It would massively increase their time per rifle and kill profit.

Not sure why OP would expect a shop to spend way more time on his than everyone else’s without a huge up charge.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Guess I should have specified "eyeballing it." Which would be fine with me if they gave it thumbs up

View Quote

If it makes you feel any better they eyeballed it when they made the barrel
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Their answer:

This makes no sense to me. Why wouldnt they be able to check a barreled upper? Its pretty simple as I understand it, hell Ive checked all my Colts by eyeballing them with the can screwed on. Just point the barrel at a bright light and look for the offset shadow. Sounds hillbilly but its works. Never had a baffle strike. Plus Im sure they have a gauge/rod for doing that. I get the part about being cautious of factory threads, but if they check it out and its centered? Then badda bing badda boom GTG!

Why? Liability? Lazy?

View Quote

They either can’t or just won’t. This is a super busy time for the industry. They may just want to sell to someone who doesn’t ask questions
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What I understand to be practically the best in the business for this type of thing -> https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/concentric-thread-check/

What do they have to say about it?  "We’ll check your barrel to make sure the bore is in the middle, the threads are concentric to the bore and the correct size. If you send a complete upper it will need to be disassembled."
View Quote

Fuck ADCO firearms
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]
You asked them to make sure it was concentric.  That is a process, and they would have to disassemble and take a fair bit of their time to set it all up to verify - if they even have the tools.  What you wanted was, "is it close enough that I won't destroy my can," but that wasn't what you asked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 What you wanted was, "is it close enough that I won't destroy my can," but that wasn't what you asked.
View Quote

Yeah I get that now. I sent a reply asking if they can just suppressor rod it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Online company who builds Colt guns?  Hmm, wonder who that could be.  I wouldn't do it for you either, unless you offered to pay for my labor to do it correctly.  If they hillbilly it and then something goes wrong when you put a can on it, they know you're going to come after them.  In the current market, someone else will buy that upper without wanting them to do extra work.  And if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he definitely won't do it half-assed or for free.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
"Me, me, me!!!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fuck ADCO firearms
View Quote

ohboy.gif
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
You can easily check the ID to the major diameter of the threads with a pin mic without removing the barrel. But threads don’t locate on the major diameter. They locate on the pitch diameter. You will need to remove the barrel from the upper and put it on precision centers and use an indicator on a surface plate. It’s just not so easy to check it correctly. Most smiths won’t have what you actually need to check it correctly. Remove the barrel and take it to a good machine shop and pay them $100 or so to check it. This is probably why they said no. I would have also. Mind you the threads should have been turned between centers so it shouldn’t even be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Their response is indeed stupid, they should have just said they can't or won't do it.

At that same time, I don't think that was a realistic request to begin with.  What happens if they eyeball it and it looks a hair off, are you going to want them to search through their inventory to find the perfect one for you?  Or how about they check it and say its good, then you have a baffle strike for who knows what reason.  That's a pissing contest that no dealer wants to be part of.  

Better to just sell the factory rifles as they come and let the warranty handle any issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can easily check the ID to the major diameter of the threads with a pin mic without removing the barrel. But threads don’t locate on the major diameter. They locate on the pitch diameter. You will need to remove the barrel from the upper and put it on precision centers and use an indicator on a surface plate. It’s just not so easy to check it correctly. Most smiths won’t have what you actually need to check it correctly. Remove the barrel and take it to a good machine shop and pay them $100 or so to check it. This is probably why they said no. I would have also. Mind you the threads should have been turned between centers so it shouldn’t even be an issue.
View Quote

So they are putting an indicator tip on the pitch diameter instead of the OD?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fuck ADCO firearms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck ADCO firearms

Now what the fuck did someone do to upset someone else's delicate sensitivities ??  

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I would argue the faces the can and bbl mate on are more important than the threads.

I use a section of tool steel and spacers to check can alignment.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their answer:

Why? Liability? Lazy?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top