Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2022 10:42:28 AM EDT
I am not a hardware guy and I need help.
My job is planning on putting four 100gb ports into a server. This would be an NSX bare metal edge so not a lot of processing of the data as it flows through.
How do I figure out if the server will actually be able to sling that much data?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
We need to know what processor you're going to use.

A single lane of PCIe 4.0 can handle around 16 Gbps. You should be able to have dual 100 Gbps ports on a PCIe 4.0 card with 16 lanes (PCIe 4x16).

A single lane of PCIe 3.0 can handle around 8 Gbps. You should be able to have a single 100 Gbps port on a PCIe 3.0 card with 16 lanes (PCIe 3x16).
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need to know what processor you're going to use.

A single lane of PCIe 4.0 can handle around 16 Gbps. You should be able to have dual 100 Gbps ports on a PCIe 4.0 card with 16 lanes (PCIe 4x16).

A single lane of PCIe 3.0 can handle around 8 Gbps. You should be able to have a single 100 Gbps port on a PCIe 3.0 card with 16 lanes (PCIe 3x16).
View Quote

All I know is Intel platinum
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
We need more than that, and so do you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
So you're going to put 4x 1-port cards or 1x 4-port cards or 2x 2-port cards? 4 lanes of PCIe 5.0 or 1 lane of PCIe 6.0 or 8 lanes of PCIe 4.0 will get you the ability to go line speed on a single port. 2 port cards will need 16 lanes of PCIe 5.0 or 8 lanes of PCIe 6.0 to go line speed on all the ports. A 4 port card will need 16 lanes of PCIe 6.0 to go line speed on all the ports. PCIe 6.0 just got released so you probably won't see stuff for it till next year meaning you're on PCIe 5.0 at best. We'll need to know a lot more before we can be helpful. I have a grip of that kind of switch-y stuff in my lab. Kinda specialized gear. What industry are you in (if you don't want to answer, is ok, I understand).
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So you're going to put 4x 1-port cards or 1x 4-port cards or 2x 2-port cards? 4 lanes of PCIe 5.0 or 1 lane of PCIe 6.0 or 8 lanes of PCIe 4.0 will get you the ability to go line speed on a single port. 2 port cards will need 16 lanes of PCIe 5.0 or 8 lanes of PCIe 6.0 to go line speed on all the ports. A 4 port card will need 16 lanes of PCIe 6.0 to go line speed on all the ports. PCIe 6.0 just got released so you probably won't see stuff for it till next year meaning you're on PCIe 5.0 at best. We'll need to know a lot more before we can be helpful. I have a grip of that kind of switch-y stuff in my lab. Kinda specialized gear. What industry are you in (if you don't want to answer, is ok, I understand).
View Quote

We are planning 2x 2 port cards. Great information.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We need more than that, and so do you.
View Quote

Problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
It's basically coming from marketing speak.

Think of it as a broad category of interface and go from there. Look at the highest-performing GPUs you may be interested in, and see what they use/require.

This explains the technical aspects: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top