Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sent this message to the owner:

"She's been over at least 5 times since we talked yesterday.  Now I'm having to come home on a work day to rip trees up and put up an electric fence."

His response:

"Well bud do what you got to do."
View Quote

He can't be bothered to take care of his dog. At least you know the situation now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the Neighbors dog.

I would make it the neighbors problem.

Have you tried going outside his house at 5am with a megaphone to bark into? Maybe go fuck with his chickens.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
airsoft claymores, grenades
I wish what OP was going through was happening to me...
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
you've been putting up with this for 8 months already ... you have far more patience than I

beautiful daughter BTW, since you are on ARF I will just assume she takes after her mother lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Dog will stand at the fence and bark.  It's not that far afterall.  Maybe you have ghosts, vampires or something OP.  Seriously, find somebody who wants a GR.  Drive by the house and entice the beast into their vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Neighbor problems. I have them too. My biggest obstacle with being a Christian is that I don't love my neighbors. In fact, I hate people. They're the source of all problems in life.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife, who works from home, has reported that the dog is already back today.
View Quote

My solution involves a large caliber firearm, and throwing a carcass over a fence.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Why isn't your GSD taking care of business?  Our 'hood dogs got the Alpha Dog primer and now MTOFB in their own yards.

My other options aren't COC compliant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fence charger and strand of wire about chest high on the dog.  Dog will be headed for the next county before you know it.
View Quote
Red Snapper and a nice fat fresh battery.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a nice certified "cease and desist" letter, probably cheaper than the other things you are trying.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to be cheap... when i was a dumb kid playing airsoft, I would take a mouse trap, drive a couple finishing nails under where the hammer, snaps down, and place some cut up cap gun caps on them. Back of the trap would have a wooden dowel I carved to spike it in the ground, and have fishing line attached to the holding bar and another dowel spike for the trip line.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Cover the dog in anti-seize and send it back home. Then fox piss. Then plutonium.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"She's been over at least 5 times since we talked yesterday.  Now I'm having to come home on a work day to rip trees up and put up an electric fence."

His response:

View Quote

That poor sonofabitch will be divorced within 5 years.  He's clearly not in charge of a fucking thing in his own house.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you not have a dogcatcher in your jurisdiction?  It's not your fucking problem to deal with, it's theirs.  

Let us know how the electric fence works, hopefully it's one good zap and then the dog stays the fuck away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Similar property layout to OP's. Neighbors (orthodox religious group) doing major construction work. Rather than pay to have job done professionally and timely, they hire a mexican with a busted-ass skid steer. The backup alarm is more of a "whoop" than a beep. Irritating. This guy has been dicking around for 6 MONTHS with driveways, septic, grading etc. I don't know how it's possible, but he spends 93% of each day in reverse with that freakin back up alarm whooping.

Reached a point where I had enough. Ordered from amazon 1) an Abrams heavy duty industrial 102 db back up alarm 2) a ring terminal to cigarette plug adapter and 3) a cigarette plug to 110 adapter (don't really need this... I just plug the cigarette plug into one of those battery jumper packs). Total about $30.

When the noise started getting to me, I would take the alarm to the edge of my property. Hook it up and put it in a metal garbage can. Aim the can mouth towards where Jose is working (and the neighbors live) and turn it on. It's LOUD as hell but since it's MY noise it doesn"t bother me as much. Go fishing for about four hours. I like to mess with them when I turn it off. I turn it off for 5 minutes then turn it back on...repeat as needed.

Jose is still dicking around down there but must have disconnected his back up alarm. Havent used mine in weeks.

Maybe if the dog comes up and bothers you, make it obvious that you arent happy (yelling etc.) then serve them up 3 hours of screeching back up alarm every 2 seconds. I'll bet they will eventually get the message and take steps to control their dog.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
After the neighbor's shit answer, I called Animal Control.

I bought an electric fence and I'm out on the property line 20' from their house ripping trees out with the tractor to make room for the fence.

Dog immediately came over on my way out.  A 22lr into the dirt by me shut her up and sent her back to their property.

30 seconds later she came back.  But she didn't bark.  Then I was nice to her and said "Hey Gemma" in a happy voice hoping I could pet her.  She took off.  But it was a huge improvement that she didn't bark.

The neighbor called me while I was on the tractor.  He started with:

"First off, I don't give a fuck about this"

When I tried to ask "What specifically do you not give a fuck about?" He started yelling and saying "LET ME FUCKING TALK".

I didn't.  I asked him what he didn't give a fuck about.  He finally realized I wasn't arguing like a woman and answered that he doesn't give a fuck about the dog.

We then had a 10 minute conversation.  I don't even dislike the guy.  Or the dog.  Or the family.  The wife and kids just simply don't care enough about the problems the dog is causing.

I told him that I'm sorry to hear that, but I still have to fix the problem and Animal Control has been called.  They showed up while I was on the phone with him.

We ended the call on good terms because I'm actually not angry beyond the annoyance of realizing that I have worthless neighbors.

No new info since Animal Control stopped by.  I had hoped they'd stop by here after, but they didn't.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dog will stand at the fence and bark.  It's not that far afterall.  Maybe you have ghosts, vampires or something OP.  Seriously, find somebody who wants a GR.  Drive by the house and entice the beast into their vehicle.
View Quote

She really will.

But the next step if she does that will be one of those ultrasonic or whatever they are called anti-bark device.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cover the dog in anti-seize and send it back home. Then fox piss. Then plutonium.
View Quote

Take it easy man. Let's not get out of hand right off. Fox piss, plutonium, and then anti seize.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fence charger and strand of wire about chest high on the dog.  Dog will be headed for the next county before you know it.
View Quote
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Purebred  Golden?
Is she fixed?
If not you could send her to me. I want to breed my old dog before he leaves us
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you need to build a tripwire activated 12ga device to fire Bird Bombs/Shell Crackers.  A 12ga flare pistol might be a good device with a tripwire attached to the trigger.

In action
Roger and Jeb try out 12 Gauge "BIRD BOMBS"
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
OP - I appreciate your level-headedness in not wanting to put down a nuisance, but otherwise nice, neighbor dog.  

That nice dog is scaring your chickens.  It is not good enough that the dog is unable to injure/kill a bird.  Your birds should be able to live in peace as well as the next animal (e.g. neighbor's dog).  Your daughter is afraid.  Your chickens' egg production could become impacted.  I have lived in the country with nice neighbor dogs for years.  The general rule of thumb is that so long as the dog does not interfere, disrupt, scare, maim, etc., all is good.  Once that line has been crossed, it is standard procedure to end the threat right now.  

Why would you go to all the time, trouble, expense to try and convince the offending dog not to come onto your property, especially when your own immediate family has been impacted?  Go offer to take the dog off their hands.  It is yours to do with as you please (keep/train or rehome) otherwise you will kill it next time it comes near your daughter or chicken pen.  Their choice, not yours.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I want to be specific here.  Was the myth that sugar doesn't dissolve in gas?  Or that it doesn't dissolve in diesel fuel?

And a part of me doesn't really think it'd have to dissolve.  If all it did was settle into the tank outlet and clog up the fuel filter, that'd be enough to screw up the engine enough to require a fuel system flush and obviously a filter replacement.  
View Quote

Sugar in the gas tank got me back in the dat, because 1971 models did not have an in-tank fuel filer.  Just one on the carburetor.  Which means the sugar my car's previous owner's ex-girlfriend dumped into the tank made it through the fuel pump before hitting a filter.

Cost me two fuel pumps, until with the second destroyed pump we decided to drop the fuel tank and have it boiled out plus flushing the fuel lines.  The gas that we dumped out of that tank looked like wet sand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#25]
The GSD can't handle this problem dog?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I have only read the first page, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that all you have to do is shoot a dog with a BB gun once, maybe twice, and it will learn and not come back. Just a regular BB gun like kids used to have works fine, you don't need a lethal one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]

You could always decorate it a little bit...
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He can't be bothered to take care of his dog. At least you know the situation now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His response:

No.  It's obvious this is a tarp.  He wants the dog gone but doesn't have the balls.  He wants YOU to do it.  And then he can wail and moan about what a beast you are.  His Old Lady will join in, and you could be in a jam.

See if you have an animal control officer in the county you can call.  I would be reluctant to take an action against the dog other than setting up a fence.  Make a complaint against them.  Let big.gov work for you and against them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Just take the dog to a shelter a few counties over. Or, SSS. And one of those stands for silence, don't tell anyone, not even your wife.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Your neighbor needs a wireless fence.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Where I live, we've got a city ordinance that prohibits electric fences in the city limits. You might want to check and see if you're in a similar prediciment. I've used a fully automatic paint gun on a problem cat. Worked very well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Record the barking, point your speaker towards her house and let loose.
Or
Capture it in a crate and donate it “in the next town over”
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe you could get the owner to spring for a bark collar.  

Won't stop the dog coming over but would in most likelyhood stop the barking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#34]
A bark collar detects a bark and applies a detergent.

I'd opt for the electric option.

My lab responds to sound or vibration on his collar, but they were the precursor to the lightning.

And before anyone gives me the "that's not humane". I put the collar on my neck and jolted myself at a much higher level than I ever gave the dog.  
I did not however give control of shock switch to someone else.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Send the dog back soaked in skunk spray
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I live very rural

Dogs that run free DIE.
With very few exceptions

End of story

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is a myth and has been proven false . Basically, sugar doesn't dissolve in gas, so it can't gum up your engine.
View Quote
No shit, it just plugs carbs and injectors if there is no filter to plug.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When I lived in the country I had some neighbor dogs that just caused havoc for everyone near them and the owner would do nothing about it. The one dog would literally shit on the side of my house every couple of days, dirty bastard. I took a few shots at them on the run with a pistol and missed , but their luck ran out with one of the other neighbors and his rifle.

View Quote
Dog Poops On Wall And It Sticks ????

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Any updates OP?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any updates OP?
View Quote

I worked all day to turn about 200 linear feet into fence line.  The woods looked like the overgrown brush towards the far end of this picture.  I was able to turn it into dirt just like the bottom of the picture.

Final fencing line looks like this:

The burn pile about half way through:

At the end of the day, I found a Giant Puffball mushroom which my life fried into a tempura batter.  It was okay.  She ate practically all of it in one sitting:

At the end of the day, the owner got home from work.  I said "hey dude".  He came over and immediately apologized for being a dick.  I told him that I know text messaging sucks and that it may have sounded like I was being a dick too, we shook hands.

Since he works in landscaping, he said he was going to have more time on his hands to work with the dog with fall/winter coming.  He was going to try to figure something out.

I told him that shooting my 22LR into the ground every time the dog ran over to bark sent the dog right back and seemed to be fixing the problem with only 2 rounds used so far.  I asked him to inform the rest of his family that the gun shots are not AT the dog.  Just into the dirt.  If I gunshot ever is directed at the dog, it will be in a caliber that is significantly louder.

His 10 year old son wandered over about the same time and we BSed some more.  Annoying ass kid, but also bored and curious.  The kid mentioned playing Farming Simulator.  I took that opportunity to insert what I learned from @tangbang.  Our chickens have entered their 2nd year of egg laying.  Some egg production drops are expected, maybe a 20% production drop.  But we have 20 hens who I expected to lay about 15 eggs per day.  They are currently laying 8 eggs per day.  I mentioned what Tangbang said above, and said that it's possible that their dog was scaring the chickens enough to make their egg production drop.  To the extent that we actually don't make money on selling our eggs any more.  We pretty much break even.  The kid seemed to understand it.  The owner was a little embarrassed to hear it.  I think it might have hit home that we've been hit financially again by their dog.

At the moment, we all hope they fix the problem and that I can just return the electric fence.  I want to put up a fence in this area and get goats anyway... but it wouldn't be an electric one if I did it.

In any case, I was outside a lot today.  Found 8 more fruit producing Pawpaw trees (WV banana from another thread) that are wayyyy over ripe.  Never saw the offending dog once.

Progress!

Saying night night to the chickens.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why isn't your GSD taking care of business?  Our 'hood dogs got the Alpha Dog primer and now MTOFB in their own yards.

My other options aren't COC compliant.
View Quote

The GSD is a true Alpha pup.

By that, I mean she fixes the problem only as long as it needs to be fixed.  So when a dog steps out of line, she'll put that dog into the dirt and then hop to the side and wait for them to try again.

She doesn't try to HURT a dog.  She just fixes the problem until they get the picture.

When she charged after this Golden Retriever and scared the living shit out of it the first time, it submitted to her.  Now when I let her out that retriever instantly submits and they just play because she knows the dog is not a threat.

She is not territorial.  And that's a good thing.  We have another dog in the neighborhood that is territorial and just attacks everything.  My GSD has tuned up that dog, too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#43]
If you can catch it rub catfish bait all over him.

The paintball suggestion sounded good too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#44]
three esses
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd put up a 5 foot tall electric fence around the perimeter with the wires about a foot apart and the bottom one 6 inches off of the ground.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Water sprinkler with motion sensor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#47]
https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnoqLBhD4ARIsAL5JedK7ken7lq8TledK6NrFmUUCYx_bZ9UV7A8POaTFFvI07G7gbQpw-c8aAv6gEALw_wcB
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Steel animal fence and t posts.  Done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Similar property layout to OP's. Neighbors (orthodox religious group) doing major construction work. Rather than pay to have job done professionally and timely, they hire a mexican with a busted-ass skid steer. The backup alarm is more of a "whoop" than a beep. Irritating. This guy has been dicking around for 6 MONTHS with driveways, septic, grading etc. I don't know how it's possible, but he spends 93% of each day in reverse with that freakin back up alarm whooping.

Reached a point where I had enough. Ordered from amazon 1) an Abrams heavy duty industrial 102 db back up alarm 2) a ring terminal to cigarette plug adapter and 3) a cigarette plug to 110 adapter (don't really need this... I just plug the cigarette plug into one of those battery jumper packs). Total about $30.

When the noise started getting to me, I would take the alarm to the edge of my property. Hook it up and put it in a metal garbage can. Aim the can mouth towards where Jose is working (and the neighbors live) and turn it on. It's LOUD as hell but since it's MY noise it doesn"t bother me as much. Go fishing for about four hours. I like to mess with them when I turn it off. I turn it off for 5 minutes then turn it back on...repeat as needed.

Jose is still dicking around down there but must have disconnected his back up alarm. Havent used mine in weeks.

Maybe if the dog comes up and bothers you, make it obvious that you arent happy (yelling etc.) then serve them up 3 hours of screeching back up alarm every 2 seconds. I'll bet they will eventually get the message and take steps to control their dog.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, but let me add a component.

Set up sprinkler in that zone. You want to make sure the ground is highly conductive. Not all electric fence chargers are the same. Buy a nonpulsing unit.  These are built to deter large animals, like horses and cattle. Damn things blow a blue arc on contact.   Make sure that shit is turned off if your little one is going to be aroud. I'm not kidding. I once had to kick a rain damp, 150 lb sheep off mine after she got locked up on it. Your neighbor's dog gets a taste of that blue lightning, i doubt it will be back.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top