Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2019 3:26:11 PM EDT
My dad wants to get back into cycling for health and needs a good bike. Many years ago he bought an expensive road bike. He says it's too big for him. We went to Dick's and he liked the hybrid bikes with trigger type gear shifters. Can anyone recommend a bike with trigger shifters for $500 or under? Doesn't have to be top tier. He said beginner level will suit his needs. He's 65, recently dropped some weight by logging his calories, so I want him to get something he'll like so he'll continue taking care of himself. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
One with the electric option.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You can find decent Giant and Specialized mountain bikes for under $500. I'd check to see if he'd tolerate a mountain bike though. It's kind of tough going from a somewhat smooth ride of a road bike to a mountain bike. The perk is he's doing it for health anyway so a little extra resistance is kind of the point, and he'll have the option to take it off the pavement if he wants.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Terratrike  not cheap but very good back support.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No. Just no.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can find decent Giant and Specialized mountain bikes for under $500. I'd check to see if he'd tolerate a mountain bike though. It's kind of tough going from a somewhat smooth ride of a road bike to a mountain bike. The perk is he's doing it for health anyway so a little extra resistance is kind of the point, and he'll have the option to take it off the pavement if he wants.
View Quote
This. Giant is a great value. Hit up a few local shops instead of box stores, tell them what you want and what your budget is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No. Just no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. Just no.
Gonna have to agree with no.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Definately buy at a bike shop and not at Dick's or Academy or heaven forbid, Wal-Mart or Target.

Check out something like this.

Or this.

Every major bike company has equivalents to these two bikes and Giant might be a bit less expensive.

A good bike shop will make sure he gets on a bike that fits his needs, will make sure the bike fits him well (they often change out things like handlebars, stems, saddles for free at initial purchase) and it will be expertly built and tuned.  A lot of bikes hops offer a lifetime of adjustments for the original owner of the bike.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
How flat is his riding area?

Take a look at a recumbent for him. I love my Bachetta Giro.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hybrids seem like a good deal because flat bars seem less intimidating.  Then  you realize there's only one position for your hands, and your hands go numb after a while.  Drop bars offer more hand positions, and give you the chance to shift off and keep feeling in your hands.  And drop bars don't necessarily mean bent-all-the-way-over any more, "gravel" and "endurance" bikes have pretty upright geometries.  Go to a real bike store, not Dick's.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Shop at a Bike Store. Your Pop will probably have questions, want service, need advice etc. Your local Bike Shop will go all out for a customer. Dicks, not so much...
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Good advice fellas. There's a shop near him. Maybe I'll see if my parents want to meet for lunch this weekend and go to the shop with him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
He needs to go sit on them. One brand size isn't the same as the other. Reach to the bars can be different.  I went through three bikes last week until I found one that was just right.  
My fiance is happy as a clam with her academy special.  But her first priority was that it was purple so???  Lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to my parent's today and my dad and I went to their local bike shop. VERY helpful staff. Explained we were looking for a bike for casual riding through parks and neighborhoods. And something a step above what you would get at Dick's. He led us to a Cannondale hybrid bike. We both really liked it. Even had the trigger shifters we like. It was $450 regular, but they're running a 20% off sale. Sadly, they didn't have the size he would need, but probably next week. Does arfcom say Cannondale is G2G?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Carbondale is fine for your purpose.  Now that Lefty fork on their mountain bikes
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Giant Sedona.  Easier on the back than a mountain bike or hybrid.

Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an old Giant Boulder MTB, a 2005 I think.  the trigger shifters are nice!  It's kind of heavy though.
SO, my road bike is a Raleigh Cadent 2, with the triggers and disk brakes.  It's fast and very nimble.

And yes, definitely go to your local bike shop.  They'll discuss all the options available, get him fitted to the right size bike (so important!) and yeah, take the bike in over the winter and let them tune it up.  When I first got the Giant, it was 2nd or 3rd hand and 10 years old.  Chain derailed often, shimmied when rolling, shifted funky.  100 bucks, and bam thing is like new!
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bailed at the mention of "dicks"

op is clueless
View Quote
I swear, arfcom is turning more and more into elitist dicks. What is this trend lately where more and more people show up into threads with this attitude of: I'm more knowledgeable than you on a topic you're asking about. But rather than share my knowledge, I'm going to add nothing to the thread but let you know I know more than you.

You're like "that guy" who works behind a gun counter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
This site was targeted and seeds of disconnect were sown for some time now. Lots of thoughtful posters have moved on or just spend their time in the subforums now.

GD used to have a good mix of thought and asshattery but the past year has not been kind. I have heard it was great before I had ever heard of it.

Oh and the Cannondale will be a good bike for him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go ahead and support an anti-American/firearms hating organization. Its your money, just don’t expect people here to be on your side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear, arfcom is turning more and more into elitist dicks. What is this trend lately where more and more people show up into threads with this attitude of: I'm more knowledgeable than you on a topic you're asking about. But rather than share my knowledge, I'm going to add nothing to the thread but let you know I know more than you.

Go ahead and support an anti-American/firearms hating organization. Its your money, just don’t expect people here to be on your side.
I went to Dick's where my dad found a bike he liked, then asked people to recommend brands. People gave advice that I followed by then taking him to an actual bike store. If you had bothered to read the thread replies before flaunting your E-penis around, you would see that I followed the actual contributing member's advice. This thread was full of good info I used before you showed up. But whatever man, you're just part of an ever increasing trend of people on ARFCOM. Someone asks for advice, and rather than be part of the solution, people just like you would rather shit all over a thread. And this isn't even GD

I used to roll my eyes at the gun specific sub-reddits where people in the comments would reference the "attitude" of ar15.com. But I'm starting to understand what they mean. And even if I chose to purchase a bike at Dick's, the approval of someone who contributed nothing to the conversation (hint: you), is the last thing I care about.

Pro-Tip: if you think you're going to go through life being a customer only to places that openly support the 2A, then you're delusional.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This site was targeted and seeds of disconnect were sown for some time now. Lots of thoughtful posters have moved on or just spend their time in the subforums now.

GD used to have a good mix of thought and asshattery but the past year has not been kind. I have heard it was great before I had ever heard of it.

View Quote
I feel like arf as a whole used to offer pages of great advice, with good natured ball busting thrown in for comic relief. But the ball busting seems to have been replaced by disdain whenever someone seeks enlightenment on a subject they're not well-versed in.

Anyway, the Cannondale seems like the one he wants. I think I'm going to get one too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you're right, I didn't read the entire post at first, but why should I ? (original quoted below)..
You said right there, "we went to Dick's.."  why even step foot in the place?   it's like saying 'we went to hilary clinton's office
for advice about email servers'.   Go where ever you want, but be ready to take some flack for admitting you visit a known contributor
to the fight against everyone's rights, especially ones that are the cornerstone of this sites existence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to Dick's where my dad found a bike he liked, then asked people to recommend brands. People gave advice that I followed by then taking him to an actual bike store. If you had bothered to read the thread replies before flaunting your E-penis around, you would see that I followed the actual contributing member's advice. This thread was full of good info I used before you showed up. But whatever man, you're just part of an ever increasing trend of people on ARFCOM. Someone asks for advice, and rather than be part of the solution, people just like you would rather shit all over a thread. And this isn't even GD

I used to roll my eyes at the gun specific sub-reddits where people in the comments would reference the "attitude" of ar15.com. But I'm starting to understand what they mean. And even if I chose to purchase a bike at Dick's, the approval of someone who contributed nothing to the conversation (hint: you), is the last thing I care about.

Pro-Tip: if you think you're going to go through life being a customer only to places that openly support the 2A, then you're delusional.
you're right, I didn't read the entire post at first, but why should I ? (original quoted below)..
You said right there, "we went to Dick's.."  why even step foot in the place?   it's like saying 'we went to hilary clinton's office
for advice about email servers'.   Go where ever you want, but be ready to take some flack for admitting you visit a known contributor
to the fight against everyone's rights, especially ones that are the cornerstone of this sites existence.

Quoted:
My dad wants to get back into cycling for health and needs a good bike. Many years ago he bought an expensive road bike. He says it's too big for him. We went to Dick's and he liked the hybrid bikes with trigger type gear shifters. Can anyone recommend a bike with trigger shifters for $500 or under? Doesn't have to be top tier. He said beginner level will suit his needs. He's 65, recently dropped some weight by logging his calories, so I want him to get something he'll like so he'll continue taking care of himself. Thanks!
There it is. The dumbest thing I've read all day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please keep this thread on course

I suggest taking him to a locally owned bike shop if possible
View Quote
He said he did before the nonsense started.

Cannondale is a fine brand. I’d suggest he spend a little money on a better seat than the bike comes with. Factory seats are usually trash.  A decent shop can figure out what seat works best for his ass. Being comfortable on a bike is important.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:[/b]
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b]

Is this known or is it speculation?  It makes sense because I've noticed a major change in posts here in the last year or so and I find myself on a pretty regular basis while reading replies to posts.

Relevant to thread:  OP is definately on the right track and if biking is for his dad (and/or him) it becomes worse than Black Rifle Disease.  See my Avatar for proof.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A locally opened mom and pop bike shop.... one that will spend the time to order, fit, and size you
Dicks is not a locally owned bike shop
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A locally opened mom and pop bike shop.... one that will spend the time to order, fit, and size you
That’s what he did. OP actually took the advice he was given.

Quoted:
Went to my parent's today and my dad and I went to their local bike shop. VERY helpful staff.
They don’t sell Cannondale at Dicks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Went to my parent's today and my dad and I went to their local bike shop. VERY helpful staff.
Yep. Went to a local shop where my dad lives. Nice guys. They were patient with us lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top