Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2022 10:06:55 PM EDT
Back story, getting married in Sept, and we had decided on a "wedding watch" for me, and I had settled on the Tudor Black to the tune of $4k. It was beautiful and my fiance was going to buy it for me.
The salesman was adamant that I still need a ring, and this watch was her "gift" to me, and he actually sold me out of the watch and I got the deposit back. I loved the watch but we are in no way shape or form in the financial situation to blow that kinda coin a watch (we need a house first).

So a $400 ring it is, BUT I still need a dress watch wear for the wedding.
I really liked the Luminox Pacific 3120 (black face) that's $470 on Amazon.
But that seems like alot of $ to me.

I ended up with a $30 Casio, it just came and it feels pretty cheap.

So here's my question;

Black face, metal band either silver or matte grey, and in the $100 range, and not a complete piece of crap.
I get it, it's not going to be a Tudor, Luminox, or anything, but hoping there's something that's not junk. And 40mm face or larger.

Thanks.

ETA:

Stuhrling Original Dive Watches for Men - Pro Diver Watch - Sports Diving Watch with Screw Down Crown for 330 Ft. of Water Resistance - Blue Analog Dial, Stainless Steel Bracelet - diving watches for men https://a.co/d/5FJCRGM

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's is very nice. I'm leaning towards more of a dive style watch. I'm not opposed to going over $100, but the closer I get to $470, the more I'd rather just get the Luminox.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's is very nice. I'm leaning towards more of a dive style watch. I'm not opposed to going over $100, but the closer I get to $470, the more I'd rather just get the Luminox.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

While watches are definitely a personal preference, for a wedding watch I’d personally go a little dressier. Having said that if you want the best value dive watch for around $100, the Invicta 8926OB is impossible to beat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

While watches are definitely a personal preference, for a wedding watch I’d personally go a little dressier. Having said that if you want the best value dive watch for around $100, the Invicta 8926OB is impossible to beat.
View Quote

Good to know, I was under the assumption that Invicta was Home Shoppers Network garbage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good to know, I was under the assumption that Invicta was Home Shoppers Network garbage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of it is, but what do you expect for $100?

The 8926OB however gets grudging respect from many watch aficionados.

Let me check at home. I might have one sitting around that doesn’t get worn and I’d gift you for your nuptials if I have one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
SEIKO Men's SNZG13 SEIKO 5 Automatic Black Dial Stainless-Steel Bracelet Watch https://a.co/d/4N2Xd4q

Any reason not get this?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SEIKO Men's SNZG13 SEIKO 5 Automatic Black Dial Stainless-Steel Bracelet Watch https://a.co/d/4N2Xd4q

Any reason not get this?
View Quote

They are a nice entry level watch. For me I never cared for the huge 5 on the Seiko 5 series. If you are going up to $200 territory what about This?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I like that alot (did I read Orient is a division of Seiko) except I'd prefer to have actual numbers on the bezel, because although I do want it to "dress up", it's also nice to be able to tell time quickly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like that alot (did I read Orient is a division of Seiko) except I'd prefer to have actual numbers on the bezel, because although I do want it to "dress up", it's also nice to be able to tell time quickly.
View Quote

IMO there's nothing dressy about that Seiko SNZG13. Looks like an outdoorsy field watch to me, or a pilot watch. The Orient linked above is way more dressy even though its a dive-style watch. Nice thing about the Orient is you can dress it up or dress it down. There are numbers on the bezel, not the dial.

Me personally, I would go with the Bambino, as that's way more suited to a wedding than a dive watch.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If you need numbers on the dial, here's an Orient dive watch that meets your criteria:

Orient Men's 'Mako II' Japanese Automatic Stainless Steel Diving Watch

It's 41mm, black face with bracelet, Submariner homage, automatic movement with hand winding and hacking, for $134!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you need numbers on the dial, here's an Orient dive watch that meets your criteria:

Orient Men's 'Mako II' Japanese Automatic Stainless Steel Diving Watch

It's 41mm, black face with bracelet, Submariner homage, automatic movement with hand winding and hacking, for $134!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]
To give you an idea, my daily wear watch is a Suunto Core black watch, I've been through probably 5 rubber bands, lost the bezel, and have more scrapes.on the glass then I care to keep track of.

So anything with a metal.band is a huge step up from that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]
No aficionado but I do like my invicta pro diver and my citizen (believe it was called a J class) before I miss placed it was also a faithful time piece.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd say it sounds like you have a great chick and you're starting your marriage by making great financial decisions. The Tudor would be cool but don't buy something that you don't really want. Find a way to scrounge a little and go for the luminox. For what it's worth I'm wearing a kickass $90 tungsten ring.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#17]
More power to you OP for making a wise financial decision. The wife and I both bought each other our first ‘nice’ watches for our 6th anniversary. It’s something special that you can look at and remember that accomplishment. You don’t need an expensive watch to do that. Tudor will be there when finances get in order. It’ll feel even better purchasing it when you don’t have to worry about those finances down the road.

There’s a lot of good recommendations above. I would not typically recommend wearing a dive watch to a wedding. Especially if you'll be wearing a traditional suit and tie. If you go more casual, maybe. But even then, you'd be better off with almost anything other than a dive watch. The Orient Bambino is a killer watch for the money. For a little bigger budget, the Seiko Presage line has some really nice watches as well.

In my opinion, Luminox has gone downhill significantly. They used to be pretty solid, but the last few I’ve had have all died or I sold them. I’ve replaced all of them with G-shocks. I’m not particularly a fan of Invicta either. Orient, Seiko, Casio, and Hamilton are all great brands to look at in that price range.

I hope you and your wife are blessed in the marriage. I never knew how difficult marriage was until I was in the figurative ‘trenches’. Learning to live with someone that comes from a different background as you, sharing finances, trying to keep romance alive can be difficult. Marriages don’t succeed without each person fighting their own selfishness and working to improve the relationship. I’ve had to learn the hard way, our marriage was on the rocks for years. We struggled, but I can say that our marriage is better than ever now and our watches represent that turning point for us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Are you guys reading his criteria? Metal bracelet, not rubber and I doubt he wants to wear rubber to his wedding.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you guys reading his criteria? Metal bracelet, not rubber and I doubt he wants to wear rubber to his wedding.
View Quote

Exactly...
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Casio Duro should have something to your liking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Orient Maestro on braclet: 40mm, 100m WR and 20mm strap adds versatility. Black dial available, I like the white better. Will look good with a suit or shorts. $185 suggested, you should be able to find a little better price. Black - https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/classic/ra-ac0e01b10a or my pick - https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/classic/ra-ac0e02s10a .
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, don't wear rubber to your wedding.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#24]
OP - Smart call. You will have your whole life to buy expensive watches. Sounds like you have your priorities straight.

Amazon has a good-looking Seiko 5 diver with a steel mesh bracelet for just under 2 bills. Watch looks amazing and gets good reviews.

Seiko Men's Analogue Automatic Watch Seiko 5 Sports Seiko 5
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back story, getting married in Sept, and we had decided on a "wedding watch" for me, and I had settled on the Tudor Black to the tune of $4k. It was beautiful and my fiance was going to buy it for me.
The salesman was adamant that I still need a ring, and this watch was her "gift" to me, and he actually sold me out of the watch and I got the deposit back. I loved the watch but we are in no way shape or form in the financial situation to blow that kinda coin a watch (we need a house first).

So a $400 ring it is, BUT I still need a dress watch wear for the wedding.
I really liked the Luminox Pacific 3120 (black face) that's $470 on Amazon.
But that seems like alot of $ to me.

I ended up with a $30 Casio, it just came and it feels pretty cheap.

So here's my question;

Black face, metal band either silver or matte grey, and in the $100 range, and not a complete piece of crap.
I get it, it's not going to be a Tudor, Luminox, or anything, but hoping there's something that's not junk. And 40mm face or larger.

Thanks.

ETA:

Stuhrling Original Dive Watches for Men - Pro Diver Watch - Sports Diving Watch with Screw Down Crown for 330 Ft. of Water Resistance - Blue Analog Dial, Stainless Steel Bracelet - diving watches for men https://a.co/d/5FJCRGM

View Quote

You can get a legit, Swiss automatic chronometer with black face and metal band for about the same price as the luminor delivered.  If you are looking for a dress watch.

You can also get various Swiss automatic divers on bracelets like Tissot Seastar, Certina DS, Squale Subs, etc.
And all I am mentioning are long history involved in watches and dive watch history for around 500 bucks also.

Seiko will have at least an automatic diver or two on a bracelet on a bracelet at 300 bucks, but most of their line has moved higher in price and is no longer the dominant bang for the buck, and several by Citizen or Orient.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Went with the Orient and it's a very nice watch.

Just opened it up.

Only issue is I CANNOT get the bezel out to adjust the time/date.

Any tips? Or is this just a defective unit?
I tried a tiny small flat head screwdriver and that didn't work. I tried using a set of pliers but didn't want to wreck the watch.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Went with the Orient and it's a very nice watch.

Just opened it up.

Only issue is I CANNOT get the bezel out to adjust the time/date.

Any tips? Or is this just a defective unit?
I tried a tiny small flat head screwdriver and that didn't work. I tried using a set of pliers but didn't want to wreck the watch.

Thanks
View Quote

Take a few moments to get on a watch site and familiarize yourself with the basic aspects of the watch.
What you are saying makes no sense.

Now, with some basic idea of what you are talking about, with some rudimentary knowledge about what is the crystal, the bezel, the face, the hands, the caseback, and the crown…

The bezel either does nothing or rotates like on a dive or GMT watch to measure time, etc.
The crown is typically what pulls out to set the time with the hands, or day date.  
Are you trying to pull out the crown?
Is it a screw in crown like on a dive watch and you need to unscrew it first before you pull it out?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Take a few moments to get on a watch site and familiarize yourself with the basic aspects of the watch.
What you are saying makes no sense.

Now, with some basic idea of what you are talking about, with some rudimentary knowledge about what is the crystal, the bezel, the face, the hands, the caseback, and the crown…

The bezel either does nothing or rotates like on a dive or GMT watch to measure time, etc.
The crown is typically what pulls out to set the time with the hands, or day date.  
Are you trying to pull out the crown?
Is it a screw in crown like on a dive watch and you need to unscrew it first before you pull it out?
View Quote

You nailed it! Had to unscrew before I could set it.

Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Sweet.
They are incredible bangs for the buck that can serve for decades.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#30]
OP:  In the spirit of HiramRanger's post and offer above, I would like to offer a small token of best wishes on your upcoming nuptial event! (wedding!!!lol)  Let's just say I am feeling blessed and pay-it-fowarddy lately.

Please tell me (here or in a PM if you are having a church wedding and if/where you will be honeymooning.

Watch-wise and to keep the post on topic... the crew gave some good advice and I  think that Orient is on target and smart financially.  I'd personally prefer a more dressy watch for the wedding, though the one you chose might fit your individual sartorial preferences better.

Let me know on the above,

TTM1

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#31]
What model Orient did you get?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the Orient Mako II in black face with steel band, and I have to say I love it.

I've found myself wearing it more often, mostly so that I don't have to reset it when I wear it on the weekends or out to dinner, but I also enjoy it.

Although I don't think I'll ever spurge on a Rolex, I certainly do see myself adding to the collection over the future years.

Thank you all for your help, and I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out. I think one day I'd like to own a Tudor, but until then I do appreciate this watch.

Thanks again!

I should also add we did get a band, nothing special, just a plain tungsten ring in a medium gray. I hate wearing it, but going out or special occasions I will. Daily I do wear a silicone gray ring, if I need to take it off for work and lose it it's not a big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top