Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2021 4:38:24 PM EDT
Dad gave it to me in the late 80’s when I started SCUBA diving. Did a lot of undersea diving with it. I was never much of a watch guy and haven’t worn it in probably since early 2000’s. Battery was dead so I popped a new one in and the digital part is working but the hands won’t move. I can manually adjust them but then they don’t move after that. So wondering if I replaced the movement might make it work but where to get one? It is a Miyota T485 but I can’t find any on eBay and another online seller is an industry only. So any help tracking down one will be appreciated. Once I find one, what am I in for? The pushers have some corrosion and are sticking but do function. I was thinking I would need to pull those out and smooth the inside channels and maybe try to smooth the pushers. Taking the hands and face off. Pretty straight forward?

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So does anyone have any links to sites that I might be able to find a replacement movement?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing one of these is the place you've found already. I'd start searching for vintage 'ana digi' vintage watches on eBay and see if you can find something that matches. You might find the movement number on a caseback picture but the seller might not list it in the ad.

http://www.stsupply.com/miyota-movement-t485.html
https://justtime.be/en/miyota-quartz-txx/3477-t485-digi-ana.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I saw this one before but it wasn’t in stock. I will check it out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. I haven’t heard the name “Armitron” in a loooong time
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So does anyone have any links to sites that I might be able to find a replacement movement?
View Quote

You might want to give Otto Frei a call if you're still looking.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave the watch on the dash of your car in hot weather for a few days.

Manually use the crown to advance the hands a hundred hours or so.

Repeat hot car for a few days.

The torque of a battery powered quartz watch can often be much less than an automatic and the sticky concentration of the original lube over decades can be too much to resuscitate one.

This has worked for me on some higher quality vintage quartz divers.

If no luck, and

If enough sentimental value, some watchmaker somewhere would likely be willing to clean the analog portion and see if that is salvageable for 150$ or so with no guarantees.

Edit-
This can sometimes also be done with a hairdryer.  -not heat gun-
But the middle of summer in the sun on a cars dash seems to work best to unstick the old lube
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I found a replacement movement on eBay this morning and it is now ordered and on the way. So what am ai in for? Am I going to need to order one of those tweezer hand pullers? I still would like to pull the pushers. I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner but have been wanting one for a while.

I tried the dashboard trick, it definitely got hot enough but the hands still didn’t move.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Movement arrived. Was able to get the hands and dial off without special tools. However putting them back may be more difficult. Ordered a hand installer. Need to read up to see if there is a particular trick to getting them on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#10]

It is back in the land of the living!

I hadn’t been able to find the movement but I had an alert for eBay when a Miota T485 movement came up for sale. When I got that I pulled the hands off with small needle nose plyers that were closer to tweezers. Not elegant but it worked. Putting them back was another story. So I ordered one of those spring loaded hand pushers and after about 20 minutes or so and a couple wonky installs, it is all back together, time and date are set! If I hadn’t read here about watch mods it probably would have been stuck in the box broken for ever. It isn’t valuable enough to justify hundreds of dollars for a repair so the fact it only took $30 is what really got it done. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Great job! I'm glad you were able to find a movement and resurrect it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top