Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2023 10:26:35 PM EDT
I have always loved watches. I had a g-shock when I was 15 that never left my wrist. I’ve moved through a few other low-cost watches, but over the past year I’ve been researching and eyeing what could be my first piece that I really put value to. The low-cost watches have always had a quirk or two that irked me or just didn’t give me the satisfaction when I check my wrist. My current watch is a quartz GMT meant to resemble features of a Rolex Batman. It tends to lose time in big chunks with no noticeable pattern ( maybe high shock from wearing it at work?). It will be 5-15 minutes behind, but other than that be spot on.

Beyond my current watch situation, I am looking for either my first in the start of a new collection or I’m looking for the one to rule them all type of watch. I have two brands that I really love with a few outliers. The features that are important to me are decent to really good accuracy, water-resistance of 100m for lack of worry, smaller wrist needing less than 40mm, and I really want a strap-monster. I would buy with the bracelet but probably wear on nato or leather most of the time, but I think strap changes make a watch really fun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My first brand is Tudor. I am loving the new Black Bay 54 but it is starting to get to a price that would take a little more effort for me to achieve. Which is why I really like the Tudor Ranger. I’ve seen lots of strap options and looks with it. At first sight, I liked it. Then I didn’t like it. And now I’m back to loving it. It has a great field watch look, which really suits me best. I love that it has an in-house movement and good accuracy. It has a charm to me that the 58 is missing because it’s the underdog (sometimes I wonder if people love the 58 because everyone else does, it does look good though). The only downfall of the Ranger that I see as a “watch to rule them all” is I think it would struggle to dress up. I don’t dress up often, but I thought it might could do it on a nice leather or alligator leather. And I do have a few weddings, including my own to go to.

The other brand that I absolutely love is Oak and Oscar.  Oak and Oscar Humboldt I love the field watch look of their Olmsted. The sandwich dials are really unique and I love they are out fly fishing and they donate a lot for the dogs, as Chase the owner named the company after his dog. The price is great on them and the dimensions really work for me. They aren’t sporting an in-house movement though and they are a micro-brand. That part makes me wonder if they are a lasting company or will their doors close in 5-10 years due to lack of recognition in an ever expanding market. I also like the styling of their Humboldt GMT, but a field watch is more conducive to me and my lifestyle of hunting, fishing, and not leaving the mountain standard time-zone all that often.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve also loved a lot of the Grand Seikos I’ve looked at, but to get a spring drive or one of their truly amazing dials I’d be pushing higher into cost. If I could I would snag an Omega Globemaster. I think that watch is super classy and looks amazing.

Let me know if you have opinions between the brands and watches I listed!

Sorry I had to do this in multiple posts. Longtime lurker to the forum as a whole but not much of a poster.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You could snag something like a ceramic bezel Squale GMT automatic for about 700 bucks.

It’s basically in the style of a Rolex GMT.
About half that will get you a Seiko SSK series GMT.

Edit-
I guess I missed your first reply to your first post.
I thought you had and were looking for a GMT type watch.

You’re all over the place right now.  Not unusual.
You can take a shot at a real Ranger/explorer, GMT etc.
It may be the one that does it for you.

Get a nice few hundred dollars versions of one,or
A functional 100 dollar version and if it works out great, if not, get a cheap version of the next model.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of options out there. If you already have an itch toward a Tudor Ranger, I would highly recommend it. Tudor has incredible value for money. In regards to your comment on the BB58, everyone loves it because it punches way above its weight class. You’re getting Rolex level quality at a cheaper price. Honestly, the BB58 deserves the hype and I would highly encourage you to try one on in person. I believe Tudor now offers all watches with in-house movements. Their movements are spectacular and keep excellent time. My BB holds around 1 second per day, give or take and I’ve been wearing it for over a year. I’m a fan of Tudor and as I continue to look at my next purchase, I keep coming back to them.

Microbrands and homage brands are fine, but if you’re looking for history and accuracy, brands like Tudor, Omega, Hamilton, Nomos, Sinn, or Longines may be a better option. If you’re willing to compromise on accuracy a tad, Seiko is renown for value for money and has some great options around and below $1k. The SPB143 is an excellent watch for the money and is a strap monster in every way. If Grand Seiko is a stretch, you may want to consider a King Seiko. King Seiko bridges the gap between Seiko and Grand Seiko, but their catalog is limited.

The Ranger can be dressed up a bit with a nice leather strap. It’s far from a dress watch, but it could certainly be a one-and-done watch. Although, I can promise you that there is no such thing. You’re here on this subforum posting about how you’ve enjoyed watches, I hate to tell you, but it sounds like the bug may have bit you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
$700 Steinhart has been wearing well +/- 3 minutes a month out of the box.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy (and save for) what you truly want because no other watch will ever fill that need. Trust me, it never works.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy (and save for) what you truly want because no other watch will ever fill that need. Trust me, it never works.
View Quote

This. I’d been seeing and loving the full page ads in National Geographic for the Rolex Sea-Dweller since I was 5.

At 25, I waffled about getting an IWC Pilot or Omega Seamaster 300M (this was still the Pierce Brosnan 007 era) since they were more affordable.

Nope. Saved my pennies for the Rolex, and I’m glad I did.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Omega or Grand Seiko.    The Tudor BB GMT is a known lemon of a movement.   Do some research and you'll see.

Of course Rolex GMT Master II if you have years to wait for retail, or the cash to pick one up grey today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Omega or Grand Seiko.    The Tudor BB GMT is a known lemon of a movement.   Do some research and you'll see.

Of course Rolex GMT Master II if you have years to wait for retail, or the cash to pick one up grey today.
View Quote

Tudor tried to use a new design for the date wheel jumper on early GMTs. They had tons of problems with them. They went back to a traditional cam shape and problem solved. As far as I know, this isn’t an issue on new movements…
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
We would hope

I'm a Tudor fan.  Seems like the problem persists.  At least Tudor has acknowledged the issue and has been swapping out movements under warranty.  (Unlike Rolex, who have been silent on their new movement issues).  

Hope you find the perfect GMT.   I ended up with the Explorer II, but with the 3187 movement.  Very happy with that as a daily, do it all watch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We would hope

I'm a Tudor fan.  Seems like the problem persists.  At least Tudor has acknowledged the issue and has been swapping out movements under warranty.  (Unlike Rolex, who have been silent on their new movement issues).  

Hope you find the perfect GMT.   I ended up with the Explorer II, but with the 3187 movement.  Very happy with that as a daily, do it all watch.
View Quote

Very very interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top