Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2022 1:31:00 PM EDT
Our dog passed 2 years ago and it didnt feel right to replace her right away.  I am starting to miss the companionship and would like to get another but the wife is having some apprehension

Last dog we got from the pound and she was perfect.  She was a mut (60-70lbs) and the best behaved dog i have ever had.  Great with our young son at the time, didnt bark unless needed to, great with other dogs...the list goes on

We recently moved and actually have a little more space now so i was looking at some larger breeds or even English Lab, Golden Retriever, Mastif etc, but my wife said she wants something smaller if anything at all.  I am trying to be civil, so wanted to get some suggestions if possible before i just buy what i want anyway

Any smaller dog breed recs?  I would prefer something that doesn't look like Yorkshire terroir, Pomeranian etc.  Dog would need to be good with kids and be ok at home during the day by itself.  Would like something to take on hikes and long walks etc

Appreciate any feedback
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#1]
Dachshunds are great, my favorite breed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be looking at mutts.  It's pretty easy to find something in the medium size range that has a mix of things you might like since they come in all shapes and sizes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm partial to heelers at this point, but we have the land and lifestyle for them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jagdkommando] [#4]
Look around at some different breeders and you can find Labs that will be in the 60 pound range.  Mine weighs 68 pounds.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#6]
I would suggest reaching out to kitties-with-sigs or imperfectlyperfect3 with SFDR.

Jordan (imperfectlyperfect3) could match you up with a great dog.

ARFCOM express can then ship you your dog!! Never leave home or you can join in on the fun

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Pit bulls are sweet. Lol!

Shitzu. Male. Uncut. Great dog
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Portuguese water dog and it's perfect for what you're looking for, except they're extremely pack oriented and don't like to be left alone. If you're planning on long hikes and off the trail walking, don't get any breed with long hair, it's a royal pain on maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the Boykin Spaniel . Fun size dog healthy breed and one of few American breeds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naamah] [#10]
Depending on your definition of small-medium, a Rat Terrier could be great. A Boykin Spaniel could be great. If you want something really offbeat, a Norwegian Buhund or Icelandic Sheepdog could be good choices.

If you want even smaller than that, Border Terriers and Irish Terriers are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Miniature schnauzers. Absolutely hands down the most fun, loyal, loving, smart, funny, dog breed you could ever imagine. Tiny tough and loyal. They are a ball.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a 13 yo bitch Aussie Shepard we got as a pup, great family dog. She is smaller than many at 40 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Turkish Kangal
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
A weiner dog might be a good comprimise.  Small dog that thinks it is big.  Very loyal.  Can get a standard or mini.  Short hair or long hair or wire hair.  About any color or pattern you can imagine.  Even the minis will happily hike for miles and every one I have been around wants to hunt something.  They can be a bit hard headed but that is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a miniature Australian Shephard who is a fantastic little dog. He may actually be half mini and half toy. He ws about 18 lbs. in his prime, but he's a little over 20 now. He's 15 years old and will still pass for a puppy from 20 feet away if you don't know him. He is very loyal, playful as a puppy still, and just wants to be your buddy. Well, he does like to bark at cows and horses, real ones or on tv, it doesn't matter. I don't have any kids, but I think he would be fantastic with them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Pot cake dog from the Caribbean.  We love ours. He’s the best boy
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raverill:
Dachshunds are great, my favorite breed

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421774/1B6367EB-CF14-487A-98FA-3C559176FD0A_jpe-2562758.JPG
View Quote

For the love of god not a dachshund. I’ve got a chi weenie now but wife had 3 pure Breda before and all happy loud no listening dogs. Awful.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Corgi for the win
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I was flipping though and saw that I never posted an outcome.    We ended up with a 10 week old Australian Shepherd puppy.  At first she was a real handful but we are slowly getting a handle on things.  She just completed a group puppy class.   The wife now wants a Frenchie.   God help me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SecuritySam:
I was flipping though and saw that I never posted an outcome.    We ended up with a 10 week old Australian Shepherd puppy.  At first she was a real handful but we are slowly getting a handle on things.  She just completed a group puppy class.   The wife now wants a Frenchie.   God help me.

View Quote

Just make sure you don’t get some color fad nonsense like blue or chocolate or merle. They’re more expensive than standard colors and inherently poorly bred. They will have more health problems than a typical Frenchie and cost you more at the beginning and throughout their lives.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Family dog = golden retriever.  

Get one from a reputable breeder that health tests the parents.  Spend the money.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The correct answer is always a Golden Retriever.  Best damn family dogs every created by God.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#23]
5 months old

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By VAbull:
Check out the Boykin Spaniel . Fun size dog healthy breed and one of few American breeds.
View Quote

State dog of South Carolina, bred right here in Spartanburg County.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Beagle. The answer is always a Beagle. Snoopy wasn’t a lab or German shepherd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

Just make sure you don’t get some color fad nonsense like blue or chocolate or merle. They’re more expensive than standard colors and inherently poorly bred. They will have more health problems than a typical Frenchie and cost you more at the beginning and throughout their lives.
View Quote

Inaccurate advice is inaccurate.  OP, like all dog breeds educate yourself and be careful about who you get your dog through.  Select you dog because it's a good dog and if it happens to be of some unusual color so be it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:

Inaccurate advice is inaccurate.  OP, like all dog breeds educate yourself and be careful about who you get your dog through.  Select you dog because it's a good dog and if it happens to be of some unusual color so be it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Genetic research shows otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: darkpaladin1] [#28]

View All Quotes

One can make blanket statements about how literally every breed of dog is inherently poorly bred in some way because a selection of breeders didn't do their due diligence.  That however is disingenuous.  Aussie color is not an indicator of the quality of 'inherent' poor breeding any more than it is with any other dog.

Saying bad breeders try to breed unusual colors of dog because they are popular is not the same as saying that certain colors of dog are inherently poor breeding.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#29]

One can make blanket statements about how literally every breed of dog is inherently poorly bred in some way because a selection of breeders didn't do their due diligence.  That however is disingenuous.  Aussie color is not an indicator of the quality of 'inherent' poor breeding any more than it is with any other dog.
View All Quotes

He wasn’t discussing an Aussie. He was discussing a French Bulldog. A French Bulldog that comes in a fad (non-traditional) color is coming from a breeder that is specifically breeding off-standard colors. Those colors (some of which are indicative of mixed breeding) are not produced by ethical, responsible breeders due to the health problems that accompany them (skin problems, deafness, etc.). The breeders who are specifically breeding for those colors are doing so because those colors are very popular right now and they command much higher prices. However, those dogs (by reason of the fact that they are not produced in a responsible, ethical manner) are also much more prone to developing health problems that will require treatment throughout the lifespan of the animals, meaning they cost more up front as well as over time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]

He wasn’t discussing an Aussie. He was discussing a French Bulldog. A French Bulldog that comes in a fad (non-traditional) color is coming from a breeder that is specifically breeding off-standard colors. Those colors (some of which are indicative of mixed breeding) are not produced by ethical, responsible breeders due to the health problems that accompany them (skin problems, deafness, etc.). The breeders who are specifically breeding for those colors are doing so because those colors are very popular right now and they command much higher prices. However, those dogs (by reason of the fact that they are not produced in a responsible, ethical manner) are also much more prone to developing health problems that will require treatment throughout the lifespan of the animals, meaning they cost more up front as well as over time.
View All Quotes

He had mentioned selecting an Aussie.  I had not heard of merle as a term for French Bulldog (not a breed I have much knowledge on) coloring so I assumed you were referring to aussies.  I apologize for my confusion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]

He had mentioned selecting an Aussie.  I had not heard of merle as a term for French Bulldog (not a breed I have much knowledge on) coloring so I assumed you were referring to aussies.  I apologize for my confusion.
View All Quotes

It’s all good. He mentioned his wife wants a French Bulldog now.

There are people breeding merle Frenchies (which are almost certainly mixed breed dogs, as merle isn’t a naturally occurring pattern in the breed). Also fluffy Frenchies and a whole host of other off-standard colors and coats. They’re ridiculously expensive for very poorly bred animals.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 Old English Bulldoggees.

Only get 2 feet tall, but are athletic.  The oldest one is around 2 ft and 60lbs.  Youngest a little less.
Think all the personality of an English Bulldog, but none of the health issues.  It is a recreation of what the English Bulldog was back in the 1700s to 1800s.  Happy to do anything with their humans.  

Get to Know the Olde English Bulldogge

Traits
Loyal
Athletic
Docile
Protective
Bold
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Go to the local dog pounds look there.

If no luck
Golden Retards
Labs
Australian Shepard's are great but need to play a huge amount or have an actual job.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top