Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 3:45:22 PM EDT
I'm trying to install a new printer on my ancient laptop with Windows Vista. The printer is an HP Officejet 5258, and it didn't come with a setup CD.

Steps I've taken:

1. Control Panel: Add Printer

2. Click Add Wireless Printer

3. My Printer Pops Up, I Hit Next

4. My Printer Model Isn't In The List

5. Click Windows Update, Says Please Try Again Later

Does anyone know how to update the list of printer models?
I've also tried downloading the driver from the HP website, but I can't get the file to open/install after it downloads.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the name of the file you downloaded and what format is it in?  (Zip, EXE, MSI, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the name of the file you downloaded and what format is it in?  (Zip, EXE, MSI, etc.)
View Quote
OJ5200_Basicx86_44.3.2218.exe is the file on the HP website

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What happens after you run the executable?  If it unpacks a bunch of files, make note of where it places them or change the destination if it allows.  The executable normally is a wizard that helps connecting the printer.  Otherwise it's just unpacking files you need to point the add printer wizard to.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
After clicking "Save File" inside the pop-up on the HP website, the file downloads to: SW_Preload (C:)\Users\Zach(the name of my PC)\Downloads

As "Type", it shows the file as an application. Double click, right click open, or right click run as administrator won't open it.

If I try to manually set up the printer, the file doesn't show up in this same location. I've tried putting it in other folders and it still won't show up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
VISTA...there's your problem.   Driver support for Vista is pretty random.

Upgrade to at least Windows 7.  Or 10, much as I have no love for 10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top