Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 10:06:18 PM EDT
So my job responsibilities suddenly find me standing on concrete floors for 8 to 10 hours a day.  While the job isn’t physically demanding I do have to stand for long periods of time and my feet, especially the heels are killing me.  

So what inserts do you guys use?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
superfeet green
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump.

Especially if someone has a recommendation for good arch support insoles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
superfeet green
View Quote

Thanks!  I’ll check them out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used Superfeet, and they work fine.  But I won't go back after using Sheep Feet custom orthotics.  Yeah its more expensive, but they are perfect.  Use code Gritty to 10% off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
fpinsoles
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got redwing "custom fit" inserts in my redwing boots and they're pretty awesome fwiw
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Was on concrete 8-12 hours a day for 40 years. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I had some trouble with plantar fasciitis and of course was too lazy to do my exercises for long. I tried a couple cheaper things like dr scholls inserts from the drug store with no luck. I ended up finding some inserts named aetrex memory foam (lynco foot orthotics) for men that I've used for the past 3-5 years in my tennis shoes. The one I use is a L2200. I found them in one of those fit2run shoe shops in a mall. The only downside is that they are expensive (this last one cost $65). But I'm ok with it bc my tennis shoes last over a year. They have a natural arch that fits my arch pretty well. My feet hurt now when I don't use them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Any chance management will spring for mats for the floor?  Mats are cheap compared to a worker comp claim on a back injury.

Just a thought
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything made by Profoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear an Ariat Cowboy Boot that is a work boot style with a new balance cushion insert and it rocks. 12 hours days on concrete floors every day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any chance management will spring for mats for the floor?  Mats are cheap compared to a worker comp claim on a back injury.

Just a thought
View Quote

So here’s the backstory, I’m on light duty, as a firefighter, for a shoulder injury (workers comp).  So they take me out of the field and make me logistics manager for a buildout of a Covid vaccination site.  It’s a closed down department store, so it’s gutted down to the concrete floors.  I’ll be there for about a month.  

I spend my days walking the store and cataloging incoming inventory.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So here’s the backstory, I’m on light duty, as a firefighter, for a shoulder injury (workers comp).  So they take me out of the field and make me logistics manager for a buildout of a Covid vaccination site.  It’s a closed down department store, so it’s gutted down to the concrete floors.  I’ll be there for about a month.  

I spend my days walking the store snd cataloging incoming inventory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought

Golf cart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
superfeet green
View Quote

/thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Golf cart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought

Golf cart.

Haha!  We were joking today about getting Segways.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Get you some Irish Setter or Red Wing  boots!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Golf cart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought

Golf cart.

Hoverboard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

/thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
superfeet green

/thread.

This, but Superfeet Orange has more padding and is made specifically for this type of work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Go to a Podiatrist and get a real set made. Yeah very expensive but they’re goddamn worth it.

22 years 8-12 hours a day on concrete.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go to a Podiatrist and get a real set made. Yeah very expensive but they’re goddamn worth it.

View Quote

Honestly, and I tell my patients this, 90-95% of people will do just fine with a decent over the counter orthotic so long as the shell supporting the arch is stiff.  I usually will have a patient that wants orthotics try something off the shelf like superfeet or pure stride initially.  I do that for 2 reasons. First, if you get at least some relief from an OTC then custom inserts may make sense, but I don’t want them spending hundreds of dollars on a device that might not help at all.  Second, if the OTC inserts relieve the pain they may not need anything more. Even an expensive OTC insert at $65 a pair replaced yearly makes more financial sense than a $500-600 pair of customs that may wear out within a year or two.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Short of having the foot doc form fit a carbon fiber set, he can closely match an off the shelf set, for 20-30 bucks.

While there, have the doc eyeball your paws for "Heel pain" common causes... Plantar fascitis shows up quite often as heel pain, from the tendon wadding up(Cramping) from lack of support.
BTDT, thought I had a spur or cracked something jumping off the Tractor. Nope. Bummer genetics, too much time in the packing shed, shitty insoles in too flexible boots 12-18 hours a day.
After harvest I go back to work in a warehouse for the off season, standing on concrete flinging heavy assed boxes, and logging miles chasing down parts...It's a night and day difference.

Don't be tempted with the Dr.Scholls foamy shit, as there's too much give to them.

Good luck!!

ETA: Didn't see the Docs post. He nailed it.
Check and see if your insurance covers foot stuff. Mine does, and fitted inserts only were 80 bucks out of the pocket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Golf cart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought

So here's the backstory, I'm on light duty, as a firefighter, for a shoulder injury (workers comp).  So they take me out of the field and make me logistics manager for a buildout of a Covid vaccination site.  It's a closed down department store, so it's gutted down to the concrete floors.  I'll be there for about a month.  

Golf cart.
Rascal
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Superfeet
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
superfeet green
View Quote

Or blue.. green was too much for me.

I worked retail for 7 years, they were life savers.  Still use them to this day 11 years later.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Get some light weight shoes that have REALLY thick soles. I'm currently wearing hoka's. Sure helps with my foot/ankle pain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I spend my days walking the store and cataloging incoming inventory.
View Quote

A month? Jesus Christ. Just nut up and walk around in whatever you have on. I wear steel toe metatarsal boots on concrete 60 hours a week for years. I think you'll survive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn’t like superfeet.

I went through a ton of insoles when I had plantar fasciitis.

I like the dr scholls work insole and timberland pro the most. The cheapest ones ended up padding my foot the best. Both are super soft, but not squishy gel.  Anything memory foam sucks too in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anything made by Profoot.
View Quote

I tried a few sets of the Profoot Dura Sole made in USA insoles.  Unfortunately they just didn't last very long, and weren't very supportive after a couple of months on concrete.  The lumpy mess that they turned into really made my feet hurt as well.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the relatively cheap Dr Scholl's Ultracool insoles (foam rubber with lots of holes to help it stay cool.  I can get 6 months of life out of them in my work boots on mostly concrete.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A month? Jesus Christ. Just nut up and walk around in whatever you have on. I wear steel toe metatarsal boots on concrete 60 hours a week for years. I think you'll survive.
View Quote

Good for you!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Get some light weight shoes that have REALLY thick soles. I'm currently wearing hoka's. Sure helps with my foot/ankle pain.
View Quote

For me Birkenstocks work the best if I'm on my feet all day on hard surface.  

Maybe ask the docs/nurses in your local ER what they wear?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:45:04 AM EDT
[#33]
SOLE
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Honestly, and I tell my patients this, 90-95% of people will do just fine with a decent over the counter orthotic so long as the shell supporting the arch is stiff.  I usually will have a patient that wants orthotics try something off the shelf like superfeet or pure stride initially.  I do that for 2 reasons. First, if you get at least some relief from an OTC then custom inserts may make sense, but I don't want them spending hundreds of dollars on a device that might not help at all.  Second, if the OTC inserts relieve the pain they may not need anything more. Even an expensive OTC insert at $65 a pair replaced yearly makes more financial sense than a $500-600 pair of customs that may wear out within a year or two.
View Quote
Username checks out  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:26:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Stand on a piece of cardboard, if nothing else.  It helps.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Powerstep + Wedge sole boots like Thorogood. Average 60-70+ hours a week on concrete. I have flat, wide, skinny feet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Honestly, and I tell my patients this, 90-95% of people will do just fine with a decent over the counter orthotic so long as the shell supporting the arch is stiff.  I usually will have a patient that wants orthotics try something off the shelf like superfeet or pure stride initially.  I do that for 2 reasons. First, if you get at least some relief from an OTC then custom inserts may make sense, but I don’t want them spending hundreds of dollars on a device that might not help at all.  Second, if the OTC inserts relieve the pain they may not need anything more. Even an expensive OTC insert at $65 a pair replaced yearly makes more financial sense than a $500-600 pair of customs that may wear out within a year or two.
View Quote

I appreciate the info. I’ll try some OTC’s, and if they don’t work, I’ll look you up for some customs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:55:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
superfeet green
View Quote

Thread.  Close it
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I second Hokas. After about a week, heel pain was completely gone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Not to sound like a dirty, stinking hippie....Birkenstock makes shoe inserts. I have them in my Lowa Zephyrs. They really saved me. I stand on concrete 10-15 hours a day when I’m working.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I use SOLE brand in most of my boots. I also have a couple of pair of Superfeet brand Blue's. Mostly a great foot doc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top