Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2023 7:38:06 PM EDT
My teenaged son expressed an interest in working out with a heavy bag so I bought a bag and a stand and some gloves.  

Care to make a suggestion about how to get the most out of it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to link a youtube on hand wrapping but there are a ton if them and I don’t know which one to recommend.

But you should definitely get a good wrap to avoid injury.

Probably a million workouts on there as well.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been following this guy... seems good for beginners
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
First, wrap his hands. That's how you protect the small bones in the hands.

There are lots of good trainers to follow on you tube that have follow along workouts. I really like Precision Striking.

Heavy bag is a great workout. If he wants to train boxing, he needs to learn to box and not just throw punches. Even f he's just looking for a fun way to workout and train cardio, boxers are in great shape from boxing, not just punching the bag.

He should also shadowbox. This serves as a great warmup, allows to train proper technique and work specific situations, combos, footwork etc.

He should learn basic footwork and incorporate that into his shadowboxing and bag work- simple stuff like synching feet and hands, creating angles.

He can start on two minute rounds and work his way slowly up to three minutes.

I'd recommend 2-4 rounds jump rope and shadowboxing each and then 4-8 rounds (starting low volume and increasing over time) on the main workout. this can be heavy bag or other drills.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Seconded on Dogsplat's post.  Learn to wrap.  You don't want an overzealous teenager screwing up his hands.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a good workout... Im 47-2 against my heavy bag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_8YwHmACxpUootXe7yKjA

Tony Jeffries on youtube is a great channel as well - but the best bet is to get him some lessons. Punching a heavy bag wrong can fuck your hands up in a hurry
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
As with anything fitness related you need him to establish goals first.  What's he trying to accomplish?  That will set you on the path to the correct routine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
This coming from a guy who has boxed for 20+ years...

Please, please get your son GOOD gloves and wraps.  Heavy bags are rough on the hands, wrists, and shoulders.

For heavy bag work I use TITLE, Gel boxing gloves.

My favorite easy to use wraps are Hayabusa Quick Gel Wraps

He needs to learn how to properly throw jabs, crosses, and hooks first.

I'd also recommend a battle rope to work on shoulder endurance.

ETA:  IMHO, a "Peanut" double end bag is a better workout/ training tool for a beginner/ most people...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the guys above. Learn to wrap properly. Tony Jeffries and J.T. at Precision Striking are very good channels.
I'm not saying this part to be a smart ass, please don't take it that way. If, for whatever reason you can't/ won't/ are not able to get him some lessons, consider shooting video of him punching, his foot work and head movement. That way you and him can go back and analyze whatever he was working on during that session and compare it to, say Tony's or J.T.'s and critique your son's progress.
Best of luck and I hope ya'll have fun.
You are an example of a good dad.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to train with a coach and the golden gloves boxers as a teenager.  Proper hand wraps are a good idea like mentioned, but I'd go ahead and work in some basic muay thai techniques as well.  Im 48 and not as fast as I once was, but the speed bag is my favorite...

Me playing with the speed bag

Also double end bag...  Shane Mosley working the double end bag fast forward to the middle of the video for the double end bag work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Start slowly each session to get the wrapping “set” or sort of worked int position. Also loosens the muscles and bones in the hands and wrists.
Get a boxing timer. It lets you set the time of the round and the break in between. I would do 2 minute rounds and 1 minute in between. I walked circles around my basement to keep my heart rate up for the 1 minute between the rounds. By the end of 5 rounds I was spent.
It’s a great workout that you can do at home year round and regardless of the weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top