Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 12:53:20 PM EDT
Good morning,

S, I have shit hearing and for a long while now.  A recent exam confirmed I am a good candidate for hearing aids.

I function fine and have adapted and it really doesn't bother me...
Except,  now it is getting kind of old.

I wanted to see if any of you have experience with in the ear units such as Axil.  Something I can use at work (LE), with a dual function of sound amplifier/ suppressor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire guy here, I was outfitted with hearing aids a few months ago, I'm at 30+ years on the job and I am able to continue working.

I had to kind of lol, when you said you've adapted, I thought the same thing. You don't know, what you don't know.

I was blown away after being fitted for them and walking outside of the office for the first time, HOLY SHIT!!!

On a serious note, they have eliminated a ton of miscommunications between my wife and that has been worth swallowing my pride and wearing them.

Mine are made by Oticon. They are programmed for "normal" hearing, I have to admit, it gets a little loud out there! They are cooler than hell though, paired with my iPhone, I have very nice earbuds, can talk on the phone with them and use my phone as an amplifier in noisy environments.

You don't know what you don't know!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that.

The war doctor wants to set me up with a pair of over the ear type.  I really don't want Oticons ok ver the ear.  She said people will think they are Bluetooth.... LOL.

The one cool thing about them is that they are rechargeable.

I'll m wondering if Costco would be cheaper.  I guess I will have to see.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Costco

After being overcharged by audiologists pushing the latest and greatest with them saying their product is the best, just don’t believe them.

Insurance doesn’t pay a dime for mine.  They have all this overhead to pay for.  It’s a no-win situation.

If you go to Consumer Reports, they say Costco has the best hearing aids AND they are the best dispensers.

At a third of the cost.

My next pair will be from Costco.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
30+ years as a auto dealer tech, 47 years shooting
and genetic issues. I just got aids 2 weeks ago.
Father, sister and now me. Sister went to Miracle Ear
spent over 7 grand 6 months ago. We just bought a new car through Costco so I learned they had a hearing dept. Kirkland hearing aids,1500 and change,
It is a life changer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I had heard Costco, too.

$1500 each, or for a pair?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]
$1513.11 for the pair.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of things to add.

On recommendation from the audiologist I went with the over the ear style versus in ear, due to improved situational awareness and overall performance. He advised that the in ear models can diminish hearing as they "plug' the ear canal. Initially I was concerned about people seeing the hearing aids, you would have to look very close to see them. LOL! My hair has turned to a distinguished gray and the battery compartment matches my hair color and the tube into my ear is clear. Bottom line for me was performance vs vanity. Performance every time!

Second, I work a 48/96 shift and chose batteries over rechargeables because I do not have to worry about placing them in a charger. I keep spare batteries with me and if they die, simply replace them and I'm good to go.

Feel free to message me.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you. Something to consider...
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you’re insurance will cover Axil. I was told (by the Axil salesman) that they would. Federal BCBS said otherwise. Took about seven months to finally get Axil to step up and refund my purchase.

To top it off, I hated the in ear plugs for anything other than range sessions or sitting in the duck blind. They were very hard to get used to when walking or eating. It’s the same sensations you get with earplugs. You can hear things in your ear move/pop when talking or eating. Same when walking. They were suffocating to have in all day.

I need to go to Costco and get a set of behind the ears.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top