Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2022 7:59:55 PM EDT
All of this talk about abortion has got me thinking, a Health Care Sharing Ministry (HCSM) plan might be the way to go instead of what my employer offers.  I remember during the Trump administration, when these things opened up to any non-religious group that wanted to band together, I joked that those who don't smoke or drink and who exercise regularly should start one.

But seriously, even though I'm not a member of their churches, I would totally join a Mormon or Seventh Day Adventist HCSM.  They have healthy lifestyles and I'd bet the costs are lower than the general public. (And yes, I'd follow their rules as long as I was paying in.)

Has anyone looked into this?  Am I off in my assumptions?

PS:  After a cursory search, I have found two HCSMs with HSA eligible plans, but apparently require you to have a Direct Primary Care (DPC) membership, which I know nothing about.  For those of you interested, those are Zion Health and MPB Health.

Note:  "Christian Healthcare Ministries" is a proper noun of a specific company.  If you search of the topic online, don't read this phrase as meaning HCSM in general. Otherwise, you'll be thoroughly confused like I was at first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All of this talk about abortion has got me thinking, a Health Care Sharing Ministry (HCSM) plan might be the way to go instead of what my employer offers.  I remember during the Trump administration, when these things opened up to any non-religious group that wanted to band together, I joked that those who don't smoke or drink and who exercise regularly should start one.

But seriously, even though I'm not a member of their churches, I would totally join a Mormon or Seventh Day Adventist HCSM.  They have healthy lifestyles and I'd bet the costs are lower than the general public. (And yes, I'd follow their rules as long as I was paying in.)

Has anyone looked into this?  Am I off in my assumptions?

PS:  After a cursory search, I have found two HCSMs with HSA eligible plans, but apparently require you to have a Direct Primary Care (DPC) membership, which I know nothing about.  For those of you interested, those are Zion Health and MPB Health.

Note:  "Christian Healthcare Ministries" is a proper noun of a specific company.  If you search of the topic online, don't read this phrase as meaning HCSM in general. Otherwise, you'll be thoroughly confused like I was at first.
View Quote

What are you a member of..?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Guy at work uses medashare and he really likes it . 5-6 yrs now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you a member of..?
View Quote

I'm not in any Church.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But seriously, even though I'm not a member of their churches, I would totally join a Mormon or Seventh Day Adventist HCSM.  They have healthy lifestyles and I'd bet the costs are lower than the general public.
View Quote

I have a reasonably healthy lifestyle and my healthcare costs are lower than the general public so it's easier for me to simply self insure and operate outside the system. My Dad taught me to pay my own bills instead of feeling entitled to others paying them for me, because that's what he did.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I considered that, but I wouldn't get the tax advantages of an HSA.  And there's always the possibility of something happening to me that's caused by some broke, uninsured asshole.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
We used one for a few years while we didn’t have regular health insurance, as did friends of ours.  No problems but wouldn’t pay for my wife’s thyroid medication.

We are fairly healthy people but wouldn’t want it for any length if time if you had kids or actually needed healthcare.

We dumped it as soon as I found employment with regular health insurance, as did our friends.

Were all Christian too.

If you have a choice Between good employer sponsored insurance and this, take the employer sponsored plan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top