Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2022 5:31:16 PM EDT

The prior MX5 thread shows archived for me now...anyhow here are links to my two latest rigs on the HR Cloud in case any of you guys using Headrush platform want to use/critique. Links are direct to my replies to existing threads where I uploaded my rigs:

Rhythm AC/DC tone, all Malcom, no Angus...maybe @Solo_ has a headrush rig and can give it a whirl:

https://headrushforum.com/t/headrush-cloud-ac-dc-rigs/14356/4?u=texassimple

My first attempt at a Tool Fear Inoculum rig with multiple amp chains:

https://headrushforum.com/t/headrush-cloud-tool-rigs/14392/2?u=texassimple

Copyright prevents uploading the IR I used on the Plexi amp chain, but it's one of the free ones you can get with purchase of the MX5, the Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-mic mix.

UPDATE:  tl/dr...Unless you already own a larger Headrush unit, home players should buy the NUX MG-30 and save the $200.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Killing my own thread...loved the MX5 but tweaking it was standing in the way of playing. I bought mine before the 25% price increase so I had a chance to get out for what I had in it. Will be picking up a NUX Amp Academy soon. $200 v. $500, you be the judge...

NUX Amp Academy NGS-6 Modeler Pedal Test By Jimmy Lin (No Talking)

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the big brother, the Pedalboard. It's a fantastic piece of kit, and it's really not that bad to get set up. The big touch screen really helps.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got the big brother, the Pedalboard. It's a fantastic piece of kit, and it's really not that bad to get set up. The big touch screen really helps.
View Quote

I do like the MX5 and fully learned to operate it, just thinking I'd be just as happy with the Amp Academy but still have $300 for hookers and blow...okay that prob means a Red Bull and a couple of lap dances
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I do like the MX5 and fully learned to operate it, just thinking I'd be just as happy with the Amp Academy but still have $300 for hookers and blow...okay that prob means a Red Bull and a couple of lap dances
View Quote

I thought about it as well, because I still want to use my regular pedals. But, since the Pedalboard does what I need so well, I can't really justify it. I also thought of the Humboldt Simplifier... That's a killer amp in a box thing too. The Amp Academy seems more versatile though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The pawnshop I buy a lot of tools and music stuff from has a ton of decent $200 laptops.  With money I saved on the swap i'll pick up one dedicated for  DAW and tweaking the pedal.. oh also,, NUX said they're coming out with an Android app for the Amp Academy...
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm playing musical hairs with FX units lately but I decided to sell the MX5 in a hot market, and get the MG-30.  I'm already liking the amp sims and the onboard UI better.  The PC editor leaves some things to be desired but it works and the MX5 had none. Expression pedal isn't as high and has less travel so heavy wah users may not like it. Also I haven't figured out how to change the volume pedal to wah. MX5 had a "toe down" switch that let you switch on the fly.

The MG-30 comes with a cool expansion switch that I've not seen come with any other 3-4 button modeler.  I had to buy this type of switch for my RP360. It's built like a tank, overall lower profile than the MX5 which will make it fit the top compartment of a gig bag better or in a briefcase. Display seems higher res than the MX5. Tuner has "guitar compensated" tuning in addition to chromatic which is a very cool feature as well.  You cannot create a new preset from a blank slot like MX5, you have to modify an existing slot and rename it. Lots of import/export functionality with patches, IR's. They had a lot of well-known YT musicians contribute some nice stock presets to the unit, including Pete Thorn. In the last year they've made some good firmware updates as well to quality of a couple of the amp sims and basic functionality which appears directly related to user feedback. Looking at The Gear Page, NUX seems to have done (via surrogates) what MagPul did on Arf when updating their mags by actually communicating with their customers. The MX5 is an amazing unit at $499, and the MG-30 is crazy good for a $299 modeler with what I've seen so far.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#7]
In on the MG-30; I've had mine for 5+ months. It's my one and only modeler, thus I'm a total beginner with it.  Using various YT videos I did manage to add a Celestion IR to it and have 4 cabled it to my old Peavey Special 112.  Info says it should disable the amp and IR setting when connected this way, but I have to manually deselect them so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Main use has been direct into my audio interface.  That's all I've got for now, as you said, tweaking the settings gets in the way of playing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In on the MG-30; I've had mine for 5+ months. It's my one and only modeler, thus I'm a total beginner with it.  Using various YT videos I did manage to add a Celestion IR to it and have 4 cabled it to my old Peavey Special 112.  Info says it should disable the amp and IR setting when connected this way, but I have to manually deselect them so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Main use has been direct into my audio interface.  That's all I've got for now, as you said, tweaking the settings gets in the way of playing.
View Quote

I don't think I'll ever be doing 4CM with this but I need to find out if the FX loop is stereo bc it looks like the resident rotary FX isn't stereo but I have a NUX Mod pedal that has stereo rotary.

I found loading IR's wasn't exactly as some of the YT tutorials showed it, likely it was changed in an update.  I imported my favorite IRs into a "collection" so i could scroll thru them once you select collection.  It activates them as you scroll thru them so you can quickly shop for one.  I like this feature. I'm going to have to figure out my routing still, order some shorter cables.  I ordered some inexpensive studio monitors also that sound much better than my powered PA speaker I was using, still waiting on stands for those.

Some pics...

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for the MG-30. I've been wanting to get a speaker or maybe a Boss Katana with the "amp in" in function so I so I could make some noise outside of my headphones with one single connection between it and modeler.  Online research indicated a single connection into the FX return on any amp with an effects loop should work.  Also, I discovered my old Peavey Special 112 has the "amp in" on the back side in addition to the effects loop on the front.  It seems to work great connecting the NUX to "amp in" on it.  Much simpler and effective for my purposes compared to the 4 cable method.  However, my Peavey weighed in at 57 lbs on a fishing scale so a lighter option is desirable. I feel I should know more about connecting gear, but I don't.  I could use a "How to Connect Guitar Gear for Dummies" book.  Pic of the signal flow from the online manual for my old Peavey, although my amp has "body" control between the bottom and edge controls on the lead channel.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd really like to hear your patches but I'm not joining the Headrush forum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd really like to hear your patches but I'm not joining the Headrush forum.
View Quote

I still have my MX5 patches, just no more MX5.  Happy to share what I had with anyone for both MX5 and MG-30.  Any suggestions on what app to share these with?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I still have my MX5 patches, just no more MX5.  Happy to share what I had with anyone for both MX5 and MG-30.  Any suggestions on what app to share these with?
View Quote

Not much help here. I use Overloud THU.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not much help here. I use Overloud THU.
View Quote

sidelines.
I was just able to get my tablet to record with BandlLab but it picks up noises and frequencies I don't hear through my rig like pick/string noises (aside from the usual sound of hand movement along strings, this is worser).  Pickups aren't microphonic so looking at my filter/EQ settings.  There's no post filtering I can find on BandLab.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top