Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2021 11:48:58 AM EDT
Learn something new everyday...

"The return of the Hawaiian shirt has been celebrated in the style press, as celebrities including Bill Murray, Rihanna and Sophie Turner have been seen to wear them.

But according to Zara Anishanslin, a fellow at the Davis Center for Historical Studies at Princeton, people should think twice before wearing the garments.

“They are the fashion equivalent of a plantation wedding,” said Anishanslin. “They could be seen as fashionable embodiments of the history of American colonization, imperialism and racism against Hawaii’s indigenous inhabitants. People might want to think twice about whether the look is worth the weight of its associative past.”

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2021/apr/12/hawaiian-shirts-fashion-trend-expert
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t wear Hawaiian shirts, I wear island shirts like they do on Guam.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
People should think twice before listening to the Davis Center for Historical Studies at Princeton.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL.  

I’ve been collecting resort/lounge wear since I was a teenager.

I’ve got modal and silk shirts from the ‘50s.

Some people have to dig really deep for the outrage.

ETA:  Nobody thought Hawkeye Pierce was a racist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn it!

The boogboi shit cured me of my desire to get some Hawaiian shirts.

Now the Marxist fucks are making me want some again
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been wearing them since the '70's. Plantation, my ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't the Hawaiian "natives" actually kill off the real natives? Anyways I like my aloha shirts and that guy can fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been wearing them since the '70's. Plantation, my ass.
View Quote

Me too.  They can kiss my aloha shirt wearing ass.

And I've added 2 or 3 since then.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Would it be better if we called them Mexican Wedding shirts?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess the next Hawaiian print shirt I buy will need to be cotton (for that "picked by slaves" feeling).
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Weren't Hawaiian shirts racis' just last year?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
ROFL.....Everything is racist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ROFL.....Everything is racist.
View Quote

And when everything is racist...... then nothing is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Huh. I'll wear what I want.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
So if a Hawaiian wears one is that like dividing by zero?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Omg boog bois and the prof

Who knew?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
it's sad that brave men like Toussaint Louverture die and the whiny people survive
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how people like this survive a day in the real word .... how do they even have the courage to leave their homes is beyond me !
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Hawaiian shirts are so vulgar. I'll stick to my black and gold-trimmed Fred Perry polo shirts, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I buy Jam’s World stuff.  Non-authentic and sometimes celebrate motorcycle racing and other important events.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Aloha shirts are considered business casual in Hawaii.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How soon before we have approved haircut styles?

Dear leader we look to you for guidance on how to appropriately cut our hair so as not to offend people of color.

View Quote

There has already been outrage abt white people having braids, cornrows and dreads. That goes back a couple of decades.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a brand new one that will debut at my daughter's high school graduation in May. It's going to embarrass the shit out of her but that's what I do!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
People should think twice before listening to the Davis Center for Historical Studies at Princeton.

View Quote

Davis? Like Jefferson Davis? reeeee!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn it!

View Quote
The whole boogboi outrage is what got me interested in buying Hawaiian shirts.

Simply because it might set someone off.

Did run into a guy on one of the sites I was working at who genuinely was into them.  He wore them tucked in as his 'business casual' wear and wore a Panama Jack (I think) style hat with them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol

That argument can basically be made for all of modern civilization in the New World.

How DARE Europeans bring racist and imperialist things like roads, and the printing press, and modern medicine, etc. - to the primitive savages of the New World who were perfectly happy murdering and sacrificing and eating each other.  

Also, as an aside, I believe the original Hawaiian (Aloha) shirt was created by a Japanese tailor in Honolulu.  
View Quote

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Alright, that's it.

If I get married, it'll be on a Southern plantation.  The gentlemen will all wear aloha shirts, the ladies will all wear cheongsams, and the service staff at the reception will all wear dashikis.

The bride and groom's first dance as husband and wife will be to the Mexican Hat dance.  I hate when receptions drag on forever, so I'll hire a bunch of Irish to get shitfaced, and start a brawl at the appointed time.

Oh yeah, the photographs will be taken by a small crowd of Japanese tourists hired for the occasion.

Suck it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
View Quote

I've been sending that scene to a lot of people recently.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
just the excuse I needed to buy this new one from OTTE gear

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I wear Aloha shirts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn it!

View Quote

Yup.    

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a plantation wedding... I regert nothing!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Alright, that's it.

If I get married, it'll be on a Southern plantation.  The gentlemen will all wear aloha shirts, the ladies will all wear cheongsams, and the service staff at the reception will all wear dashikis.

The bride and groom's first dance as husband and wife will be to the Mexican Hat dance.  I hate when receptions drag on forever, so I'll hire a bunch of Irish to get shitfaced, and start a brawl at the appointed time.

Oh yeah, the photographs will be taken by a small crowd of Japanese tourists hired for the occasion.

Suck it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Fucking Romans bringing roads and concrete and shit up into Germania... Who the hell do those colonizers think they are?

Makes as much sense as anything else from the perpetually offended crowd.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess the next Hawaiian print shirt I buy will need to be cotton (for that "picked by slaves" feeling).
View Quote

**BOOM**  Head shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#41]
i can't wait til it warms up so i can wear my Shirts of Racist Colonial Oppression again
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How soon before we have approved haircut styles?

Dear leader we look to you for guidance on how to appropriately cut our hair so as not to offend people of color.

View Quote

Oh, they've already came out and called my haircut "fascist style". Anything with a fade on a white person is now considered "fascist".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/30/does-this-haircut-make-me-look-like-a-nazi/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/patriciasuarez/before-it-was-the-fascist-haircut-it-was-so-much-more

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/mens-hipster-undercut-haircut
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Zara Anishanslin, a fellow at the Davis Center for Historical Studies at Princeton,
View Quote

I wonder if Zara is single, and how many cats she has?

I'll bet a reasonably intelligent 8th grader could catch any one of these lot of joyless fucks, and in the time it takes for them to go from the parking lot to the faculty lounge, have them in tears, because every stitch of clothing they wear or carry from the ground up, is a symbol of "western imperialism and racism".

Rubber-soled shoes? Modern day plantation agriculture, and not ecologically sound (monoculture).

Leather? Cruelty to animals. (Ok Vinyl then? Not ecologically sound).

Blue jeans? Cultural appropriation of the working class, and further, slave labor. YKK zipper? Do I even have to tell you what's wrong with that, Zara, you dumb bitch?

CHECK THE TAGS, FACSIST! DO IT, DO IT NOW! FUCKING BANGLADESH?! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT YOU HEARTLESS BITCH! YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN A SLAVE TRADER!

And so on, until their world crumbles. Then post it on IG until she is forced to wear black plastic trash bags and Viet Cong Goodyear sandals, and give a tearful apology in front of the local unemployment office.

It's not her fault, she's just ignorant of her privilege. It's what she'd do for us, were we in a similar position.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Good thing I have moved on to Charlie Harper shirts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good thing I have moved on to Charlie Harper shirts.
View Quote

Its a shame Structure closed, they cornered the market on that style...
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#46]
The amount of work to gin up outrage over stupid stuff is insane.  

Have they found out pajamas are culturally appropriated from india yet?  

Look at this biracial gay couple culturally appropriating them, and rejoicing in the colonial subjugation of India.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I love how the left and protected classes can just point at something and label it racist..
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I have one or two of these, never worn. This thread might a inspired me to wear one to the office tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Alright, that's it.

Suck it.
View Quote

Invite me and I will wear wooden shoes and a sombrero....... while eating snacks at the reception with chop sticks
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Alright, that's it.

Suck it.
View Quote

You don't have to hire or pay the Irish to do what you ask, just need to invite them and get them liquored up, it's their natural habitat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top