[#1]
Hawaii.....Is that near Japan?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How is it not legal?
View Quote

No way Hawaii is gonna allow tourists to sleep in a Van and not get that hotel tax revenue.

IIRC, unless it's been canceled they were making people quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks and pay full freight before being allowed to leave the room, so if you wanted a 2 week vacation to hawaii it was seeing the inside of a hotel room.

Even if it's somewhat loosened they're not gonna say "oh, you have a rental u-haul, that's fine to quarantine in" especially because no bathroom inside.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hmm, rent u-haul and put bed in back and starve hawaii of hotel fees and tax revenue as well, spend the difference doing cool shit.

This is not legal so I cannot endorse it no matter how epic it would be.
View Quote

Wonder how how the back would be? Lol
Where would you even park it overnight?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Renting a uhaul would actually be a good idea as it could double as a hotel room.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#5]
So, why aren’t Uber and Lyft drivers making bank in HI?

Is driving too much work for the locals? Are they too fat to fit in a car?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Way back when the internet was new... If you reserved a truck online, and picked up and dropped off at the same location, you would have to pay mileage...

BUT, if you dropped it off at a different place than you picked it up, it would calculate the mileage between the two places, add some extra %, then use that as your quote, while advertising 'UNLIMITED MILEAGE!'..

There were 2 U-haul locations within a few blocks of each other.... So, I rented a pickup online, they charged something like $14.99/day. and it auto-calculated the mileage from Location A to Location B, which was something like 3$ for mileage so it ended up being $15.42/day for 'unlimited mileage' or something ridiculous like that... and I rented it for a week...The system wasn't smart enough to want to know why it took 6 1/2 days to drive half a mile... They were NOT happy when I returned their truck with an extra 1000+ miles on it, and they realized I had 'unlimited miles'... So the normal 49 cents per mile or whatever didn't apply.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I remember the first time I rented a u-haul. I pulled up next to another guy driving a u-haul. Gave him a honk, smile and thumbs up. He just looked away. Literally zero comradery despite us both having rented u-hauls. Soured me on the whole experience and haven't rented one since.
View Quote

Holy shit.
Thats awesome
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First and second pni
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm laughing, just thinking about some dipshit trying to drive a Uhaul on the road to Hana.

I'm sure someone is going to roll one down the damn volcano.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No way Hawaii is gonna allow tourists to sleep in a Van and not get that hotel tax revenue.

IIRC, unless it's been canceled they were making people quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks and pay full freight before being allowed to leave the room, so if you wanted a 2 week vacation to hawaii it was seeing the inside of a hotel room.

Even if it's somewhat loosened they're not gonna say "oh, you have a rental u-haul, that's fine to quarantine in" especially because no bathroom inside.
View Quote

Nah take covid test 72 hours before you land and you're gtg no quarantine
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What in the F is wrong with Hawaii that they can't have enough rental cars? 90% of their economy is based on how many rentals they have. Oh, I forgot, a state ruled by retards. No offence to any present company.
View Quote

Last year the rental car companies sold off a bunch of inventory for cash to stay afloat.

Now they cannot buy replacement vehicles due to chip shortages.

Renting a vehicle is now expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ahhh . . . .    no.

I travel for work and we rent all the time for up to a month at a time.  No problems getting cars.  Might not get what you need the first day, but that has always been an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they cheaper than Enterprise?

Not only cheaper, but they are actually available.
When the rona hit, all the rental places sold off most of their fleet.  They only kept a few car in inventory.  Around here, those are reserved for insuranec agencies for when somebody gets in a wreck.  In impossible for a private person to rent a car.  

I experienced this first hand a couple weeks back.  A family member was involved in a wreck 300 miles away and we needed to rent a car pronto to get on the road and get to her.  Not one single rental car at any rental place within 100 miles.  I got on the uhaul website and had a van scheduled in 5 minutes.  That very same weekend another family member got in a wreck and when she took her car in to get fixed, her insurance company put her in a rental on the spot.

FWIW, you can also get a pickup truck at home depot fairly easily.  They are not quite as cheap at the $35/day compact rental cars.  But its a full size truck/van capable of doing actual work.
Ahhh . . . .    no.

I travel for work and we rent all the time for up to a month at a time.  No problems getting cars.  Might not get what you need the first day, but that has always been an issue.

At what rate tho, compared to 18 months ago?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

???

Been to HI half a dozen times in the past 10 years.  Always rent a car for the week (usually Dollar or other major brand)
I’ve literally NEVER had any issues with the car not being ready within 15 mins of my arrival.

I never stay on Oahu — maybe it’s different there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

???

Been to HI half a dozen times in the past 10 years.  Always rent a car for the week (usually Dollar or other major brand)
I’ve literally NEVER had any issues with the car not being ready within 15 mins of my arrival.

I never stay on Oahu — maybe it’s different there?

Edit to add:   This was all pre-COVID.  Perhaps they haven’t been open to tourists long enough yet to get their act together again?

Jesus Christ…
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Renting a uhaul would actually be a good idea as it could double as a hotel room.
View Quote

Yep.  College Spring Breakers have been doing this for decades.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
It's probably cheaper and you have a place to crash. Stop at a local thrift store and setup an entire living space. I've seen people camping with Uhaul's before great idea.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally I don't understand why people are spending good money going to Hawaii right now with all the covidiot bullshit. Face diapers are mandatory on the flight and everywhere indoors over there, plus the state and counties have that whole required testing and contact tracing bullshit. I am not gonna pay money to be treated like a child on what is supposed to be my vacation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fact that is even remotely illegal shows how we don't even live in America anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, rent u-haul and put bed in back and starve hawaii of hotel fees and tax revenue as well, spend the difference doing cool shit.

The fact that is even remotely illegal shows how we don't even live in America anymore.

Agreed 100%  
What the fuck is illegal about renting a truck, and then camping? If that is a crime, and people accept that it's a crime, we are fucked.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's probably cheaper and you have a place to crash. Stop at a local thrift store and setup an entire living space. I've seen people camping with Uhaul's before great idea.
View Quote

Since this is Hawaii we are talking about, I am sure they will pass a law making this illegal and will frame it as "tourists are avoiding hotel taxes depriving Hawaiians of funding for state services". Generally speaking Hawaiians like their big bloated nanny state government.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, Hawaii wants their tourism dollars.  If the state could figure out how to kick the military out they'd do it in a heartbeat, because .mil is no longer the revenue source it used to be.  

Also, lol at a rental car shortage in Hawaii because that fucking state is full of cars.  As soon as Turo and whatever other startups there are hit critical mass the locals will figure out how to make some money off the haoles.  Hopefully it won't involve a revenue stream for the state.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Hawaiians don't even want to be part of the US, they want to return to their medieval kingdom days.  I think we should trade Hawaii for Hong Kong with China, at least HK actually values freedom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ…
View Quote

I know right?

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First and second pni
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Fun fact, most rental cars can't be rented if you are under 25.

Not so for U-haul.  Possibly survey the ages of those being rented.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuck Hawaii.
View Quote

'Native' Hawaiians are Haoles.

They are not the original residents, they are immigrants that came and murdered the natives and took their land.

Now back to the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Makes sense. That's not what u-hauls are there for anyway.
View Quote

The government has no business admonishing people for renting a vehicle and using it for any lawful purpose that they see fit.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
1 & 2PNI

Fuck those idiot masked commies & their tarded little world.  May their politicians & judges rot in hell sooner rather than later.
Except for the half dozen or so I saw out protesting on Maui, those were good people.  Too bad they’re outnumbered 50000 to 1.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They are not the original residents, they are immigrants that came and murdered the natives and took their land.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Hawaii.

My uncle and cousins are Portuguese Hawaiians.   Fuck them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want Hawaii to sink back into the fucking ocean.
View Quote

New Jersey man thinks islands are actually floating….
BAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Replace snow with sun.

U-Haul Stealth Camping In -35 Degrees
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Replace snow with sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5B-9YiU5Ao
View Quote
i've been a campingwithsteve fan for a while now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny.  I had the same thought.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]
If the tourism board wants tourists to book rental cars early, why don't they also as l locals to book Uhaul vehicles early...or would that make too much sense?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#34]
They’re doing that out here too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They're doing that out here too.
View Quote
pics of jackson u-haul campers?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fuck Hawaii.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Son is moving with his family to Oahu in about a month.  He's shipping his three year old Honda van out there.  Hopefully it will be waiting on him when he gets there.  This is his third time moving out there and he always ships a vehicle and then sells it when he is ready to leave.  Has made enough money when selling to almost have a vehicle for nothing.  Prices are high on decent used vehicles in the islands.  

Since his Mom and I can both get him discounts, it has worked well so far.  I figure a couple of years or less and he'll be coming back and shipping another car out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#38]
they're not addressing the important questions:

what is the current availability and how much is a daily UFO rental in Hawaii?

have the Uhaul vans been covid vaccinated?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top