Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2021 4:19:45 PM EDT
I went back the 3 pages this sub goes to and saw nothing Sony wise. Anyone use a Sony? What do you like/dislike?

Thinking out loud, Sony E-Mount to Nikon adapter so I can use my Nikon lenses with it would make a solid combo. If I go A7ii I get 40+mp, full frame, and can use my old lenses. Win/win.

What say you?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
At the beginning of 2020 I switched from Nikon to Sony. I shot with a D750 and D850, mostly event photography before the shutdown and ensuing crap show.

I have an a7iii, a7rii, with Sony 70-200 f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85 f1.8
Tamron 17-28 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8

I love how small the bodies are. There isn’t a difference in quality of the images in my opinion. I just like the Sony mirrorless and it’s ability to set the custom buttons.

ETA I forgot also the eye autofocus sold me too
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At the beginning of 2020 I switched from Nikon to Sony. I shot with a D750 and D850, mostly event photography before the shutdown and ensuing crap show.

I have an a7iii, a7rii, with Sony 70-200 f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85 f1.8
Tamron 17-28 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8

I love how small the bodies are. There isn’t a difference in quality of the images in my opinion. I just like the Sony mirrorless and it’s ability to set the custom buttons.

ETA I forgot also the eye autofocus sold me too
View Quote

Awesome, thanks! I may be picking your brain as time goes on. Would you recommend a newer camera than the a7ii or do you think that’s a solid start? I don’t need the bells and whistles if that’s the primary difference. I just want good light hitting a good, high MP sensor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been shooting with the a7r4  for 2 years now and love it. Main reason I switched was due to how far behind the times canon was and Nikon for that matter. I remember seeing a lot of people complain about the Sony menu system but I’ve had no issue with adjusting. I think the color is better straight out of camera in the Nikon and canon options but that’s an easy adjustment. Sony is building up a good lens collection as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks! I may be picking your brain as time goes on. Would you recommend a newer camera than the a7ii or do you think that’s a solid start? I don’t need the bells and whistles if that’s the primary difference. I just want good light hitting a good, high MP sensor.
View Quote

What do you shoot mostly? What glass do you have? In your original post you said a7ii and 42mp, a7ii is 24mp, so if it wasn't a typo be sure to look at that.

If you can bump up to the a7iii you get a little better dynamic range and 10fps.

I also would be worried about adapting Nikon lenses to Sony. I am sure a bit has changed over the past year but I couldn't find a decent adapter when I started the switch.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can offer is that a Pro buddy of mine has gone from Canon only to Canon and Sony A7 series. Those little beasts are impressive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What do you shoot mostly? What glass do you have? In your original post you said a7ii and 42mp, a7ii is 24mp, so if it wasn't a typo be sure to look at that.

If you can bump up to the a7iii you get a little better dynamic range and 10fps.

I also would be worried about adapting Nikon lenses to Sony. I am sure a bit has changed over the past year but I couldn't find a decent adapter when I started the switch.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly landscapes if I’m honest. Travel stuff. The occasional portrait, and I’d like to possibly get in to more general nature/hiking photography for personal enjoyment. I was watching a review on the youtube and found out after I posted that the a7iiR is the one I was referring to, my bad.

Definitely interested in the dynamic range. This year will tell what I can swing for a full frame camera... the Sony is a bit of a surprise for me since I didn’t even consider one ‘til I found out I could use an adapter... Metabones is the one I heard about.

At some point I’ll likely be getting a good bit of my dad’s glass, oldschool (literally, 1970s vintage) full manual lenses so I want to ensure I have something to use them with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mostly landscapes if I’m honest. Travel stuff. The occasional portrait, and I’d like to possibly get in to more general nature/hiking photography for personal enjoyment. I was watching a review on the youtube and found out after I posted that the a7iiR is the one I was referring to, my bad.

Definitely interested in the dynamic range. This year will tell what I can swing for a full frame camera... the Sony is a bit of a surprise for me since I didn’t even consider one ‘til I found out I could use an adapter... Metabones is the one I heard about.

At some point I’ll likely be getting a good bit of my dad’s glass, oldschool (literally, 1970s vintage) full manual lenses so I want to ensure I have something to use them with.
View Quote

Shooting landscape and travel I say go for better dynamic range then higher megapixels.

If you’re going to be using manual glass then you don’t have to worry about the autofocus issues that I was concerned with.

I say go for the a7iii and get the tamron 17-28mm f2.8 if it’s all in your budget.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy used or refurbished if you can find a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I have mostly Nikon lenses and gear, but also have an A7S (first generation).

I made the decision to use manual focus and manual exposure on the Sony, using some of my Nikon lenses and inexpensive adapters to use them with the Sony (so that I can keep an adapter on each lens instead of getting a single adapter and swapping lenses at the adapter level).

It's obviously not as convenient as using lenses made for the camera (or using a more expensive adapter that can retain the auto features of some of the Nikon lenses).

For the things that I am using the Sony for (or that I expect to be using it for), it's not much of an inconvenience

(I use it for fledgling experiments with astrophotography, and for time-lapse movie-making, and for still-life product/documentation photos, but not for general snapshots, etc.)

For the occasional new lens purchase I still buy Nikon glass, because I think of the Nikon as my 'primary' setup.

YMMV...

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got the a7siii, but not for photography, fo video.

It is a BEAST.
View Quote

+1 the ISO range and performance on those are straight up insane for video.
I want one for aurora video.  Don't get me wrong, I love my D850, but the A7S series just blows it out of the water in ISO sensitivity.  One of these years when I have the money I'll do a dual tripod setup, 45mp stills and 4k video at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I want one for aurora video.  Don't get me wrong, I love my D850, but the A7S series just blows it out of the water in ISO sensitivity.  One of these years when I have the money I'll do a dual tripod setup, 45mp stills and 4k video at the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got the a7siii, but not for photography, fo video.

It is a BEAST.

Is that also one of the cameras that can do the 150mp pixel shift composites...? that blew me away, why isn’t anyone else doing this? I mean 45mp for landscapes is awesome, but over three times that?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem with most pixel shift versions of hi-res photography is that there has to be limited amount of motion in the frame.
View Quote

Yeah I noticed their test shot for the pixel shift was wisely, an interior

I’d still give it a try outdoors on a relatively calm day. That concept is actually fascinating to me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the A7riv and A7siii for work.

Both impressive, wish they would create a larger bodied camera that could do what each does alone for photo and video. Something like a D5 size camera and they should be able to squeeze it all in.

Also wish there were a little more extensive lens selection though. I have the Canon to e-mount adapter, but performance isn't the same. Menus and ergonomics are atrocious though.

Really complaining to complain though, hard to say much bad about either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Next Tuesday is a Sony Alpha Universe event... wonder if they’re going to debut new cameras?

I’m torn right now on the A7RIII and the RIV. 61mp files are insane, but it’s the new technology and future proofs me. Though let’s face it, photography hasn’t changed in a century: Light has to be focused on a medium (be it film or a sensor), maybe I get an RIII and a nice starter lens.

I haven’t settled 100% on Sony but I have to say, with Nikon’s recent reported loss I am leaning away from Nikon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The a7siii menus are great. Hopefully they go that way with all new a7 cameras.
View Quote

Great? Better maybe, but they are still waaaaaaaay far from great.

With a Canon or Nikon (both of which I have extensive experience) I can do everything I need with a single hand while looking through the viewfinder. Even medium format Leicas and Hassleblads for slow and deliberate studio shooting are much better.

Better than total horse crap (earlier menus) is still crap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Full frame pro camera announced today

Still hoping for an update to the rest of the line, don't know if Sony announces one product per event or if they do it all at once... Still, good stuff. Just outside my price range by a good bit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Long time Sony shooter here.  If you want 42 mp go with the a7rIII.  It is much more refined and will focus much better with adapted glass.  It also has a better battery, ergos, and other options the rII doesn’t have.  The rII is old by mirrorless standards.  It is slow, clunky and well......slow but it takes a great image.  The focusing systems in the Sony cams really started to come to life with the a7rIII and have only gotten better since then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Long time Sony shooter here.  If you want 42 mp go with the a7rIII.  It is much more refined and will focus much better with adapted glass.  It also has a better battery, ergos, and other options the rII doesn’t have.  The rII is old by mirrorless standards.  It is slow, clunky and well......slow but it takes a great image.  The focusing systems in the Sony cams really started to come to life with the a7rIII and have only gotten better since then.
View Quote

I'm accumulating a camera fund now and will probably end up going with the a7rIII for that resolution. I'd love an rIV but would have to upgrade my machines and memory cards to accommodate that kind of resolution. But even in crop mode the IV has more res than my current 24mp Nikon!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#22]
The thing with the rIV at 61 mp is that lens quality becomes even more important for resolving all the detail a sensor like that can capture.  If you aren’t putting top of the line modern glass on a camera like that then why have it IMHO. One of the reasons for the G Master line was to be able to resolve big mega pixel sensors.  It really depends on what you plan to shoot and if you intend to print big.  As far as adapting Nikon glass goes I can’t really help there.  It used to be that the Nikon adapters sucked and rarely worked well.  That may have changed in the last year or so.  I have one Canon lens I adapt and everything else I use is native.  Canon adapters have worked since the rII and work better with the new cams for sure but nothing compares to native glass if you want full autofocus and shooting speed with these newer beasts like the a9 line and alpha 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top