Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2019 1:06:41 PM EDT
I live on a farm with a small hop yard with cascade, centennial, and Zeus hops. I am wondering if anyone has a non IPA recipe that includes any of those hops or combination of them and others. I have done extract home brewing but haven’t gotten too adventurous past kit brewing. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a tacked recipe thread at the top of the page.  You can substitute hops as needed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Those hops scream IPA but you could make  some different styles if you dial the qty back and add the hops earlier in the boil as opposed to late hop additions.

Columbus is a bittering hop you can use in pretty much any beer as the main bittering charge.  The other 2 are more along the lines of citrus/grapefruit type flavors, with centennial being a little more interesting imo.

The other problem you will have is homegrown hops aren't lab tested for alpha/beta acid/turpine levels so figuring out how much you need is tricky which is why a lot of guys with homegrown hops will do huge late additions in a beer that is forgiving of that method (ie various ipa styles). Late additions have much less impact on IBU levels and the whole point of homegrown is to taste the fresh hops.

You could do beers like imperial stouts. ESB, maybe a barleywine where you have some grain bill carries a lot of the flavor to cover the imprecise IBU levels or the style can handle a variation.  Maybe something with rye since you are are missing a spice component with just using those hops.

You could also buy some hops and use a combination of homegrown and some store bought that fit the style better and have know AA%. That's actually what I did with my last batch using my (wet) homegrown cascade hops of course I love IPA so that's what I made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top