Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My first floor is elevated almost 4’ above ground level. My basement windows are brick glass. My lowest window is over 6’ from ground level. Climbing in will suck without a ladder.

Yes I want a stronger door. I’ll get a better set of windows later.

My front door is strong as fuck (90 years old solid wood), but the lock system is ancient. Luckily it’s mostly seized up and I can barely turn the deadbolt from inside. It also leaks air like an old dog after eating human food.

I want a secure door (and a more discrete security door exterior) that has a better U value, better seals and has multiple latch points.

Bonus points if it can stop some 9mm.

I’m dead serious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about it
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I added some food to my hound dog's bowl... does that count?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
We added steel front and back doors with solid locks from the inside.  What a difference from ordinary screendoors.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strike plates on the door jamb and bottom two hinges, all held in place by big, 3.5" screws.

Replaced the cheap ass, flimsy original deadbolt with a big, heavy duty one.  

It took someone kicking in our front door at 3:30 am for me to realize how flimsy and unsecure our exterior doors were.
View Quote

Depending on the door, lock and frame he may be better served to just buy metal security doors with reinforced frames that screw/bolt into the studs. Today's exterior home doors are a joke. To me the biggest part of that joke is the flimsy frame that usually seems to be the first thing to break.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a neighbor that comes out often when any unusual noise is made in flip flops, a motorcycle helmet, and a ball bat if that counts for anything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd bet most ARFCOMER's front and rear doors are the chink in the armor despite all our preps. Even well constructed doors can usually be broken fairly easily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
A few years ago I purchased a 3\4" 4 foot long breaker bar for the princely sum of $ 15.99.
Made a mortice plate for the floor and a three block gizmoe for the door.
So I taketh zee bar and wedgy zee door.
Don't know what it would take to break that cheap door, but whom ever is doing that if they want in it.
I suppose if they broke the hinges, lock and door jamb, maybe they could twist the door enough to get it open.
By then I should be up and armed.
And whoe unto the mofo that does that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
In the back and side basement door I armored the jambs, hinges and strike plates. Solid deadbolts and 3" screws in everything.

House is old and has a non standard front door that I don't want to carve up. It's pretty solid as it is and would take more than a few kicks to take down. Plus I live on a pretty busy street so any would be intruders are gonna go around back to remain hidden from view.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Their build was posted online, and that's what I followed for my door - living in a transitional neighborhood.

Warning was it'll keep shitheads out, but will also keep fire and police out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember seeing a video on YouTube where cops were testing a door and using sledgehammers and battering rams and they were unable to bust down the door for 25 minutes.  I think they finally started to collapse the concrete wall around the frame when they called it quits.  And these guys were whaling on it!

Their build was posted online, and that's what I followed for my door - living in a transitional neighborhood.

Warning was it'll keep shitheads out, but will also keep fire and police out.

It will slow us down but it won't keep us out. About 70% of the time I gain access through an attached garage if nobody can let me in through the door. It's super easy to open garage doors if you know what you're doing. Barring that we'll go through a window or get out the Hurst tools and worst case scenario if all that fails fire up the K12 and make a door.

When you get old enough to wear a Lifealert pendant I strongly advise a Knox box. It makes a difference in how long you lay on the bathroom floor and possibly how much damage we have to do to get to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Heavy dusty strike plate and long screws.

Would like to beef up the storm door, possible replace glass with some sort of poly carbonate.

Unfortunately I have 4 glass doors and 4 floor to ceiling windows on the back of my house, while this makes for a great view, it also means putting to much effort into reinforcing the front door is kind of pointless. Installing hurricane glass was prohibitively expensive and there were no dealers in Ohio, mainly a costal product. And hard to justify since the doors are fairly new, if they all needed replaced maybe it would make sense to pay a little extra to upgrade to a laminated glass but not going to drop $50k just to add that feature to the house.

For now just have motion lights and security cameras covering the back but might install some 3M window film for a little added security. It’s inexpensive and can be installed yourself. It will hold the broken glass in place but anyone with a little determination can just kick that shit out of the frame. Maybe adds 1 min to entry time.

It’s funny my first house was a old 1940s with two doors and a couple tiny windows at ground level. Super secure from forced entry but man it could be noon on a bright summer day with all the lights on and that place was still dark inside. House now is a 90s construction and covered in windows, I don’t think we ever turn a light on during the day but it’s insanely easy to break into.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im a general contractor.  When I built my own house I told my hardware supplier I wanted a top of the line door lock.  His response was why would I need anything stronger than glass.

We all beef up the front door but never consider the sliding door at the rear.  As has been mentioned above, the films help.

If I ever build another house, laminated glass in all the windows for the win.

View Quote

Most sliding doors can be lifted out of the tracks and and over the lock bar with just a flat screwdriver. No need to break them unless they have a bar or something in place.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Gonna need more pictures of this little guy/girl.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Door frame armor, armored strikeplate, long stainless screws.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My first floor is elevated almost 4’ above ground level. My basement windows are brick glass. My lowest window is over 6’ from ground level. Climbing in will suck without a ladder.

Yes I want a stronger door. I’ll get a better set of windows later.

My front door is strong as fuck (90 years old solid wood), but the lock system is ancient. Luckily it’s mostly seized up and I can barely turn the deadbolt from inside. It also leaks air like an old dog after eating human food.

I want a secure door (and a more discrete security door exterior) that has a better U value, better seals and has multiple latch points.

Bonus points if it can stop some 9mm.

I’m dead serious.
View Quote

Check out the Provia Legacy steel doors. They are solid as hell and have a multi-point locking system into a steel frame. I have those plus a Nightlock floor plate on the inside for the unlikely occurrence that someone defeats the lock.

I don’t understand the desire for front doors with glass in them. They are the first thing I replaced in my current house. You lose all tactical advantage when someone can see you approaching the door from outside.  A camera system and intercom is infinitely more secure. I get an alert on my phone long before you are at the door, and if you want to speak to me, you have no idea where I am actually located in the house.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check out the Provia Legacy steel doors. They are solid as hell and have a multi-point locking system into a steel frame. I have those plus a Nightlock floor plate on the inside for the unlikely occurrence that someone defeats the lock.

I don’t understand the desire for front doors with glass in them. They are the first thing I replaced in my current house. You lose all tactical advantage when someone can see you approaching the door from outside.  A camera system and intercom is infinitely more secure. I get an alert on my phone long before you are at the door, and if you want to speak to me, you have no idea where I am actually located in the house.
View Quote

I certainly don’t want glass in my front door. I don’t mind as much for the side door, but up front I want zero visibility to the inside.

I’ll check them out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't even lock mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That could make an interesting squirrel dog.
View Quote

She just kills them. And birds, and anything else that doesn’t belong in the yard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd bet most ARFCOMER's front and rear doors are the chink in the armor despite all our preps. Even well constructed doors can usually be broken fairly easily.
View Quote

Did you watch those videos?  You might realize how fucking stupid that statement is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm know the can get in but the extra time it will take gives me time to strip down and rub baby oil all over
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Our doors don't need any security. For many reasons it's extremely unlikely a desperate drug addict would ever consider our house for a break in or home invasion. In either case it wouldn't go well for them if they did. If it's a concern for others an overall plan for security should include making it difficult and time consuming to breach all doors and any other places of possible entry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#25]

By far the best defense right there....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been wanting to reinforce our front door but I'm not sure how much good it will do. On either side of the door is glass panels so drilling the striker plate holes any deeper might cause some issues.  The back door is solid glass but you can't access it very easily because the back yard is surrounded by a six foot tall privacy fence that is locked from the inside with a motion light at the entrance.

The front of the house isn't entirely lacking of security though.  In addition to cameras around the house we have two motion lights on the front corners of the house and one above the garage.  

We also have a rather high strung GSD that doesn't like strange people on her property.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]
We have a doorjammer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine works in stereo. The front door is pretty secure when it's locked, but we don't usually.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a piano I can roll up behind the door. Does that count?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#31]
My back door is reinforced with longer screws and hinge and strike plates from Armor Concepts. I'm afraid to do my front door now because the screws dug into the house so good it actually moved my door frame a bit and I had to shim the ever living shit out of my storm door striker latch to get it to close and it looks totally fucking ghetto now.

I might do a less intense version for the front. Maybe just the strike plates or something. I really don't want to fuck up the front door frame. Stupid POS crappy old house.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The FD will come straight through that door with a K saw if they have to. No bad guy will be lugging one of those around.
View Quote

Some senile fucker called 911 and mistakenly gave them my address while I was at work. The FD broke their own rules and decided to make entry to my house. They tried to kick in my front door that has armor on the hinges and jamb, no dice. They either kicked it or rammed it so hard that the door actually split a little in the center. It was solid wood. They eventually used a halligan to absolutely destroy the door and jamb to get in. Took them many minutes. If I were home and they were bad guys, I'd have had ample time to post up.

Armored the rest of the doors, filmed the patio windows, and called the city attorney after that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I added a good deadbolt and replaced the screws in the hinges with the longer screws.  I also added a security camera and later a Ring (so 2 camera views now)...

I still want to add a chain on the inside at some point just to add one more level but I am preparing to replace the door and will wait till the new door is in to do that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I've tracked a lot of mud and cow shit on it, makes it less inviting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can you walk 10’ to the left or right and get in a window?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lockable storm door (and we lock it)

Can you walk 10’ to the left or right and get in a window?

You don't even have to go that far on my house.
I still want one of those stormdoors that takes a standard lock set.
Even tho I've explained to my wife the window situation she insist on locking the storm door when I'm out of town.
When she forgets to unlock it for me, I'm locked out.
LOL.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
there is a film you can put on your windows that helps hold them together, works pretty good. we have it in a few of our commercial rentals and its held the glass together enough that they were not able to gain entry. in 30+ years we never had an issue, last year 4 break ins...and other BS
View Quote

Got those all around the first floor of the house. We leave the rear patio lights on at night and have cameras back there too.  Drop all the shades to prevent people from getting information about what's going on inside.
Have cameras/spotlights pretty much everywhere, but the front door itself is lacking IMO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Better deadbolt, longer screws, better strike plate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Some senile fucker called 911 and mistakenly gave them my address while I was at work. The FD broke their own rules and decided to make entry to my house. They tried to kick in my front door that has armor on the hinges and jamb, no dice. They either kicked it or rammed it so hard that the door actually split a little in the center. It was solid wood. They eventually used a halligan to absolutely destroy the door and jamb to get in. Took them many minutes. If I were home and they were bad guys, I'd have had ample time to post up.

Armored the rest of the doors, filmed the patio windows, and called the city attorney after that.
View Quote

We had a regular "I've fallen and can't get up" lady for a few years. She'd hit her pendant and we'd get dispatched. Despite our constant hints and begging and being well off she wouldn't get a Knoxbox or even give us a key. Fortunately she had a sliding door to her walk out basement that we could let ourselves in through.

So one day we get paged out to scoop her up off the bathroom floor for the 100th time. I tell the crew to wait at the front door and I'll go in through the back and let them in. I get in per usual and something seemed off. It occurred to me that there was now furniture set up downstairs where before it had only been storage boxes. I round the corner to the stairs and was greeted by a large dog that was unhappy to see me. I retreated into a bedroom slamming the door behind me while the dog went apeshit on the other side of the door trying to claw its way through. Ended up having to escape out of the window.

A curious neighbor walked over to see what was going on and from him we learned that our regular customer had moved out a few weeks ago and new owners had moved in. Apparently the change of address never got updated through Lifealert so they sent the wrong department to the wrong house. Notified LE of what happened and left a note to the homeowner.  When he called later he wasn't angry but he was really curious how I had gotten in without breaking anything. I'm just glad it was during the day while they were gone rather than the middle of the night when I may have been greated with a bullet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]
When my neighborhood gets to the point where I have to really sweat having a hardened front door, it'll be time for "other" security features to be activated.  Think of layers more than some Maginot Line on the Front Porch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a neighbor that comes out often when any unusual noise is made in flip flops, a motorcycle helmet, and a ball bat if that counts for anything.
View Quote
Showing up is 90% of life.  So your neighbor is a good thing.  Consider upgrading him to a Lucille model as a friendly neighborly gesture.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL....no.

Safe neighborhood
A crap ton of outdoor lights
Dog
Security/camera
.300blk

Do you guys even double sidelight bro?

(Not mine, but somewhat similar, including a transom)

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife hasn't shoveled the walk to the front door yet, so the snow and ice are a deterrent for now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#46]

I like that! Thanks for posting! Ordering this afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Longer screws
Better lock
Arlo camera that triggers outdoor lighting when it detects motion.
Suppressed weapons
Pissed off 4'9" wife
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#48]
And it will all be easily defeated with a $10 grinder from harbor freight.

The only thing stuff like that does is deter meth zombies. If that's what you're looking for it's understandable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I sleep facing my wall, all I need is time to reach my hand out and grab my AR. my 90lb dog will most likely tell me before anyone even gets to the door and will slow them down enough for me to pew pew pew and then hear eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a home invasion years ago [posted here w/ MsPaint]. We had door jamb and hinge side armor with screws into the hinges and door on both sides. "My" tweaker was experienced, or so the deputy said, because he didn't kick anywhere but straight across from the handle on the hinge side. Door jamb armor and the hinge side armor worked as claimed. Unfortunately the door failed six inches off the hinge side, after three massive kicks, and he pushed the whole door inside my previous home.

Something to consider when you guys are armoring up your entryways.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top