BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should of put beefier tires on it? What are the specs on wheels and tires? I would of also went with the x9's the narrower rpf1's don't look as good.
View Quote
Should of?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]

I ran over one that was on a test drive with my 1/2 ton Chevy Z71.....broke off my front license plate hold....fucked up that Element pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to own one

it was great and I'd buy one again if Hondas design team stopped eating mountains of shit and made attractive cars again (excluding the civics and accords, those are fine)
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Element had hilarious commercials, and you don’t see many on the road today. Wonder why?

View Quote

Only 300k were made I recall

I have mine still. Bought new in 2006 and worked through college to pay it off. Only 180k miles on it
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Amen brother.

The reason why it got new shoes is it's about to turn 200K.

Runs like a top, only have really had to put consumables on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously, one of the best and most reliable vehicles Honda has put out in the past 30 years.

Amen brother.

The reason why it got new shoes is it's about to turn 200K.

Runs like a top, only have really had to put consumables on it.

I overloaded mine often, not knowing better. As a result brakes, rotors, calipers, and lines are replaced every few years. Rack and pinion replaced at 150k but may have been damaged during a recovery. Both window motors replaced. Starter at about 160k.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Apparently saving 5 pounds per wheel is a big deal on a daily driver CUV?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
We had an 06.   We had to sell it when we had the twins.   It only had seating for four.   But there were five of us.

We replaced it with a pilot.   Which was a downgrade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I did do not hate Honda Elements.  The very first generation was not the prettiest - but that was fixable.  It was a bit low, but it could be lifted.  After that, I was somewhat seriously considering buying one.  The deal breaker was the interior for me.  4 seat only and could not pass the plywood test.  It was kind of the deal breaker for me.

Now as for Swagger Wagons - have one, going on 300k miles.  Still running pretty good, abet there is definitely some deterioration to it.  Can not imagine getting rid of it without replacing it with something similar.  Love the 4x4 concept vehicle they made out of one that they will never produce.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't mind Elements at all but those rims are ugly and would look bad on anything you put them on with that much sidewall
View Quote

Yes, yes they are very ugly. However, they are the leader in price/performance if I recall correctly. You really can't touch a wheel at that weight and strength, for the price.

Still would never consider putting them on my car due to how they look.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've a 2006 EXP AWD 5Sp model with 180K on it.  It's been nothing but trouble.  Still having a weird miss I can't figure out.  I'll be doing a leak down test next.

I've probably put less than 500 miles on it in the last year because of these issues.

Add in that it gets about the same mileage as my Cummins Turbo Diesel that sat on 37s, it's just not winning.

Really was hopeful for the idea, but it pretty much well has been a shitty experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I kinda like the brave little toasters.

I just bought a 2003 CR-V EX AWD from my neighbor. It needed some love in the form of knock a sensor, new fans, and lower control arms. Soon turned into a HRG 1.5” lift and 215/75r15s.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I always liked them and I generally hate Japanese cars. They have character and are very practical.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]
At one point I was either getting the Element or a Nissan Xterra and then Honda discontinued the Element.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Kind of Amazing the "Alterations" possible on the Element Platform.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Crv > element.

I do like the element though.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Shortly after I discounted getting the Element, I did want an Xterra as well.  Went a lot further on buying the Xterra.  Test drove one, negotiated a price, got my financing, went to pick it up...  Then the dealer jacked up the price 3k, and cut my trade in value by 2k.  I told them (in the show room) that they were a bunch of fucking crooks and if they would do this on a sale - I would never want to have to use their service department.  Walked out and never considered a Nissan again.

Found out later that day or the next they tried the same game with my older brother.  Then even used the trump line - But your life really wants that car.  My brother had a friend who was a vehicle broker - he got an identical Nissan from a few hundred miles away shipped in.  Was 2k lower than he had originally negotiated with the Nissan dealer.

As for his Nissan.  In general a very nice car - but I also remember going fishing with him, and afterwards his Nissan was dead in the parking lot.  Apparently his Nissan sports car had a $1 plastic idler gear in the the transmission.  It had blown up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Only 300k were made I recall

I have mine still. Bought new in 2006 and worked through college to pay it off. Only 180k miles on it
View Quote

That might be why. I’m in everyone has at least a 1/2 ton and the wife drives a SUV country(or crossover).

Always found them neat in a utilitarian sense. They should bring them back on the Civic/HRV platform and make a Maverick style brother slotted underneath the Ridgeline when the supply chains are unscrewed(or they finally move them back to Japan and NA as OE).
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
They super useful little utilitarian vehicles. I always wanted an AWD EX 5spd. One of my friends has one and she'll probably drive hers until there are physically no more parts to be able to ever fix it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Looked gay before, and even gayer now
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're the Gay Expert eh?

Done a lot of in person research?

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hate them so much my kid and I are putting a TSX headed Element K24 in this

https://i.postimg.cc/XqNXK0st/IMG-4385.jpg
View Quote

@toledoxj did you guys get an engine yet? I have an element motor that I’m selling. I need the space, lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I got one of those. Mine still has the table that comes out of the back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

My AWD CRV was a blast for drifting on a snow covered parking lot. Just get it sideways enough for the rear differential to kick in and you could hang it out @45* all day long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it for sale ???
(B20B guy here)
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Element had hilarious commercials, and you don’t see many on the road today. Wonder why?

View Quote

One of those things that's going to depend a lot on where you are at, but there are still tons of them running around.  They were excellent appliance vehicles for those that just wanted their box to work.

The only good argument I have against them nowadays from a practicality standpoint is they are getting pretty long in the tooth in terms of safety features and crashworthiness.  But if you don't care about that and just want an appliance to drive around, they'll do that for ya.  Not for me but I appreciate what they were.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So what is the gauge and numbers?
View Quote

Luggage scale, that's the weight difference.

@Admiral_Crunch
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't hate Honda elements but you sure did Mexican that thing up
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#28]
We looked at Elements and CR-V's back in late 2004.  
Got the 2005 CR-V LX AWD.   It had a few upgrades that year.
Should have got the element.  Gas mileage was a factor then.
We camped all over colorado and utah in the cr-v and it was less than ideal.
Traded that CR-V in with 145k and no issues for $3000.  
Should have just kept it as a 3rd vehicle.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is it for sale ???
(B20B guy here)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it for sale ???
(B20B guy here)

Never, I will be buried in it. Or I'll keep it because when teotwawki comes, I'll need a reliable vehicle with a table that comes out the back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm almost too old to even notice wheels.  My next car will have steelies and gonna lose the hub caps
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Admiral_Crunch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the gauge and numbers?

@Admiral_Crunch

Ah, gotcha.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember when they first came out seeing a brand new one driving down the interstate with a small 110v window AC unit taped in one of the back windows.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Never, I will be buried in it. Or I'll keep it because when teotwawki comes, I'll need a reliable vehicle with a table that comes out the back.
View Quote

Keep the valves adjusted and it will last forever, the exhaust valves tighten up and burn up if you don't.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't hate Honda elements but you sure did Mexican that thing up
View Quote

Enkeis look nothing like Daytons.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#36]
My SO has a 2008 Honda Element SC since it was new. She loves that thing. Carts furniture, RE stuff, multiple dogs, tons of crap around in it. The side fold up seats really open up the back for piling stuff in. She's reached the point where she has pretty much quit pulling the seats in/out unless it's really, really required.

It was very useful for the kids junk after they outgrew the mini-van stage as well. Bought the tent add on option and used it to tail gate at many an outdoor event. Fold out table and everything. If it's just two of you, remove the back seats and it's a small camper if you only plan to use it a day or two.

Not my ideal ride but it has it's uses and was very practical for her.

It has a loyal following, that crowd always has a rumor going that Honda is going to re-introduce a new model.

Maybe an EV version.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Bonus pics of the SC blacked out headlights:

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, how many windshields have you gone through on it?

Honda Elements seem to have more broken windshields than any other vehicle I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Honda Elements seem to have more broken windshields than any other vehicle I've ever seen.
View Quote

Only one so far, but now that I'm in AZ that number will triple.

For some reason we get more rock strikes on the freeway out here than any place else.

It's weird.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry, I am not a car guy. What am I looking at with those measurements
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something to do with the windshield angle makes it a magnet for rocks bugs etc.  My Element is constantly covered in splattered bugs but my Titan rarely gets any driving the same route.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sorry, I am not a car guy. What am I looking at with those measurements
View Quote

5lbs less of rotational and unsprung weight.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By @RarestRX:

Yeah, you got me.  Put a starter in around 170K.  

And to be completely transparent, since I work for a major auto dealership chain ($45 an hour labor, cost + 10 on part), I've dropped some coin on the Element for the 200K.

Valve adjust, brakes, ebrake, had the whole suspension gone through, etc.

Drives like a new car.
View Quote

I have an 08 SC with 195,000 that I bought from Honda as a Pre-Certified with 7000 on the ODM

Suspension all around.... Ball joints, Struts.
Fans, Starter, Main seal, Timing Cover gasket, Starter, Door lock actuators, Gas Struts on back window

Recently break Rotors, Front Calipers, parking brake shoes

Up Coming... valve adjustment
Engine oil change when the idiot light says so with Honda oil
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Keep the valves adjusted and it will last forever, the exhaust valves tighten up and burn up if you don't.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20181207_162719_jpg-2536214.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20181207_162719_jpg-2536214.JPG

I'm looking into a vtec head swap. I need valve guide seals but if I'm going to work on the head, I'm putting a b16 or type r head on it. I use to have a civic coupe with a built b20/vtec, 187hp to the wheels n/a with stock b16 cams. That car was fun. It trapped 101mph in the quarter
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Still drive my 2003 AWD daily.  It has 210,000 miles on it now with very little maintenance.

Never did adjust the valves.

I used it extremely hard the past 19 years though, so it is rough.

Going to get rid of it in a couple months when I move.

Thing is a snowmobile in the snow.  I once took it over a 4x4 mountain pass in Wyoming in the dead of winter.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#47]
You see the problem is they’re complete trash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I want an awd stick shift Honda Element
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing wrong with a honda element

But people who put effort into a honda element
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#50]
lol hells yeah op
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top