Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 3:47:26 PM EDT
If so, what was your experience, cost and overall opinion on it? We're thinking of having a secret/safe/tornado room built in our house. We're still in the planning phase and the slab hasn't even been poured yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it on new house and worked out great, just put in corner with all 4 walls cement.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wanting to do this in my house (built in the 60's, moved in 3 years ago).  I wanted to have a doorway cut through the basement wall and a room added on under the den.  The basement does not go under the den or the garage.  Something like this:

I looked into it a little but, but from what I read, it would be cost prohibitive (if even possible).  If the basement did continue under the den, then there would be enough space to wall off a new room in the corner.

If we ever have a house built, I'm definitely doing some sort of vault room/tornado room.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I had a 12X14 room built on the back of my house.  Then I extended my roof line out to create a big covered back porch.  The extended roof covered the safe/storm room and then I used matching siding to enclose the room.  You cant tell its a safe room now.
The foundation is 14 yards with the perimeter being about 2.5' thick and 3' deep.  The walls are made out of trough blocks with rebar horizontal and vertical.  The walls were then filled with concrete and a roof poured 6 " thick.  It has a FEMA storm rated steel door with 3 keyed alike deadbolts in it.
I paid $7,500 for the room and material but I did all the exterior wood work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't already have plans finalized and can swing it I would.

If I ever build a place Slab or basement, it will have a Safe/Tornado room...  
By safe room, I mean it will store all my guns and be a gun-safe room 1st, but would double as a tornado shelter if the need arises..

I want one of those big vault doors by Browning or whoever, that has a combo to get in, but a release inside so you can't get locked in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the wisdom. We're looking into putting the door in our closet so it's not obvious. Maybe put a shoe rack on the door to help hide it. Not sure yet.

I think cinder blocks filled with concrete and rebar reinforced would be ok. A simple steel door also.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the wisdom. We're looking into putting the door in our closet so it's not obvious. Maybe put a shoe rack on the door to help hide it. Not sure yet.

I think cinder blocks filled with concrete and rebar reinforced would be ok. A simple steel door also.
View Quote
@nealthedestroyer

I see you are in Texas so you shouldn't have a problem finding a door similar to this one storm door  I bought mine from a place in Lawton that makes them.  You can have them swing in or swing out, left or right swing.  Republic Door makes some that look more residential.

Not sure if you are familiar with trough blocks but these allow the concrete to flow like a web and when combined with the rebar makes a super strong wall.

This is what my mason used

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@nealthedestroyer

I see you are in Texas so you shouldn't have a problem finding a door similar to this one storm door  I bought mine from a place in Lawton that makes them.  You can have them swing in or swing out, left or right swing.  Republic Door makes some that look more residential.

Not sure if you are familiar with trough blocks but these allow the concrete to flow like a web and when combined with the rebar makes a super strong wall.

This is what my mason used

https://www.diychatroom.com/attachments/f105/51229d1337685411-name-block-cmu.jpg
View Quote
Thanks. Do yall have a ballpark price on the job?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sure its different everywhere but I found a local mason and they did my 12X14 room for $7,500.  
$1,400 of that cost was for the door.

I had a second quote from a contractor that ran a larger operation, his quote was $10K.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Builder had to do footers and I ordered the door from Smith Security Safes. Did this in 2007 and the cost was around $2700 not including the door. Custom order was around $1600.
If building for a storm shelter make the door swing inward.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one.  I call it the most public secret room in SC TN.

When the previous owner had this house and property auctioned, the auctioneers left the door wide open.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you plan to kill everyone involved in the build if it, there is no such thing as a secret room.

I think the easiest way to have a truly hidden safe room is to have a basement with an attached garage and then put the safe room under the garage with the opening into the basement with an inward swinging steel door. Then, insulate and frame the basement walls. Make another "door" that opens outward that covers the steel door. Neatest idea I have seen for a hidden in plain sight door was a door that was a fully functional book/curio shelf.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.themurphydoor.com/

Security through obscurity.  Just don't build it then invite drywallers, carpeters, plumbers over that need to access that space...

Decoy safe somewhere outside the room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top