Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done it twice.  Accepted a job in another state.  I recommend it for young people for sure, and recommend it for you regardless of age, based on the little bit of info you shared.  It takes some courage.  One was me alone, the second was me and a girlfriend.  Both went well for me, because I make the best of any situation, and moving to a new city there are alot of things to find and learn about and new people to meet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I moved from Northern VA to the mountains in NH. Had only been up here once before we decided to come up. The only thing I miss is restaurants.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if you are familiar with this guys lectures but might help you in making your decision. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTsUn2eJ5To
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Nicaragua.
Rum is cheap , the weather is fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Six times, six States.    Been a political/economic refugee my entire adult life.    I’m not sure I would recommend it, unless you Have to....     It’s worked out surprisingly well, but gets harder as the years go by.    Sure would like to find my Walnut Grove someday.
Some people can do it, but most cannot.   They'd rather be miserable in their hometown, than take a chance.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Everywhere has some good things and some bad things.  
As a kid Mt. Tx. Ca. N.Y.mostly Texas where grandparents lived.  
As an adult Tx. Ia. Wa. back to Iowa been here about 25 yrs now. I miss some things about Sequim, Wa. The ocean, dungenous crabs, the scenery. I miss the fishing on the Texas gulf coast (a lot). I would look at Portland just N of Corpus Christi. Traffic in Dallas and Houston suck If San Antonio I’d pick Windcrest small cities in the SA metro have lower crime rates. I really have thought about moving back to Texas. DesMoines Iowa seems to be a good fit with bad winters. Texas just like California is plagued with border issues. But if in Texas I want to be an hour or less from fishing in the gulf.  Unless you own a small ranch in the hill country you r hunting is very limited. If you had enough money to have a ranch Rocksprings Tx or hill country but with no money you can still fish so Portland, Rockport but not Arkansas Pass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Early in life:  After graduating from high school in Hawaii, moved to Alaska for summer work with a friend's brother.  Had a soft landing: Place to stay, people I knew, job. Liked it so stayed five years.  Back to Hawaii for college.
Graduated and moved to Seattle, stayed with an Alaska friend and found work.  Didn't like Seattle so moved to Central Washington.  Whole different country, a lot hotter and drier, and more rednecky which suited me to a T.  After 25 years, thought I'd never leave.  Met the now ex #2 and she talked me into moving to Lewiston, Idaho to be near middle daughter.
After two years there, she had blown through my retirement and put me almost $100,000 in debt.  When she ran out of my money, she left me and moved back to Central Washington, leaving me overdrawn, unemployed, and facing bankruptcy.
Lewiston is a strange town.  If you didn't grow up here, it's hard to make friends.  I even tried to start an arfcom meet n greet, twice, with maybe three "maybes".  I've been here five years, and my only friend is the guy I stayed with in Seattle.  He wound up living about three miles from me.  But he works weekends, so I rarely see him.  I work 45 minutes away, so I'm gone 13 hours a day M-F.
So I'm trapped in a town with no friends, 200 miles from people I've known for decades.  Can't afford to move back as property values have skyrocketed since I left.  And at this point (I'm 63) my retirement plan is "Work until noon on the day of my funeral."
So I dunno.  Moving to Cashmere was a great idea and worked well,  Lewiston not so much. I'll die here I guess, hopefully someone will show up for the funeral.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NYC to rural PA five years ago. No family, friends or acquaintances in PA. New neighbors and entire neighborhood (Heavily Republican area) nearly shit the bed when they saw cars with New Yawwk plates pull into the driveway and driving about town. Made for some very awkward introductions. Wasn't until I started asking about pistol permits, shooting on my land, suppressors, SBRs etc. that they finally started to realize why I escaped NYC and had zero desire to bring NYC's nanny state communist politics with me. Didn't take long before I became great friends with all my neighbors.... Best decision I ever made.
View Quote

I'm doing the same thing in April. Moving from Western WA where I've lived all my life to a rural small town in PA after having purchased an old house last fall. You couldn't buy a dog house in Seattle for what I paid for this place, and I'm already much closer to the neighbors there along with the seller who is a kindly older gentleman that has gone out of his way to maintain the property for me. He will not take any money for doing so after I have offered multiple times to compensate him.

I have a partner of 30 years and did ask the realtor if she thought that would be a problem but I already knew the answer: People are generally friendly and welcoming as long as the newcomers do not try to change the way things are, namely the ideals that make it the place it is. The folks I have met and befriended are well aware of my orientation (word somehow got out even though I traveled alone to procure the property) and could care less as I am in most cases more conservative and 2A friendly than even they are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
no way i'd try that today. 20 years ago it was perfectly reasonable. things change.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Left CA at 17 lived in MI for a year with mom and step dad. I didn’t know anyone there before moving. Stayed about a year then move to IN by myself at 18 and the been on my own ever since, 45 now. Have a wife and kids but other than that no family here at all. I’d guess 90% of my family is in CA. Dad’s family has been there 100 years mom’s family has been the for 250.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I did in the mid 90s.

Was stuck in a dead end job with few prospects. I decided I needed to start over in a new location. I chose Florida. Didn't know the area or a soul there.

I sold some stuff to put some cash in my pocket for the move. I rented a U-haul, loaded it up, and drove to central Florida. I lived in a hotel for a week before I found a place
to rent. Finding a low paying job was easy, and I worked hard. Was promoted twice in the first year, then transferred to a sister company and got a nice raise. Before too
long I was doing much better than I was where I'd been. It was a good time for the most part, but after a few years I moved again for a better opportunity.

It seems like a lifetime ago. In a way it was.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
When I got my Va service connection I bought a house in southern Oregon because fuck California

Now this place is pretty much California
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Early in life:.snip...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Early in life:.snip...

What would you have done differently?  Seems like you did well until the small head took control. No offense.

Quoted:
no way i'd try that today. 20 years ago it was perfectly reasonable. things change.

Why not?  I'll be 60 soon and thinking about hitting the road all the time. Not sure what I'd find (that is if it's anything I'm looking for) or what I'd settle for.  Always have the travel itch/GTFO syndrome.  Good to have a home base though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I dunno if ti's the right move or not, but i hated what colorado had/has become.

View Quote

The wife and I are in the same in boat. Waiting another year to sell out, then were headed out of state. What's happened to this state in the last 20 years is shameful, especially considering that if you drive an hour away from an interstate it's still the same state it was when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
yup. NJ to TX
total fresh start. I really like it and I vote RED every time.

I hate that NJ/NY/CA trolls are moving in
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The wife and I did a couple years ago.  We got tired of the cost of living,  8 months of dark grey, and liberal illness that is Seattle, so we packed up and moved to Texas to a city we had never been to before and where we knew noone.

It has been going ok. We're pretty social isolated and struggling with it, especially with the pandemic,  and our little guy was born 14 months ago.

L
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Moved from Jersey where I had lived my entire life in a 20 mile radius to Maryland to work for the company that employs my best friend. Him and his wife are the only people I know here.

So far so good. Occasionally I still drive past the capital or Washington monument and wonder what the fuck I'm doing here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#18]
1999-2003

Mine was basically job related. I was working a job that I hated. I got in touch with a former coworker from a previous job who had moved to Washington. He told me he had a job for me if I ever made it out there. Two weeks later and I'm in my car driving across the country to a state I'd never been to, before. Hell, I'd never been out of the south at that time. And he was the only person I knew when I made it, there.

I loaded up most of my possessions, which fit in a '91 2-door Accord (sadly), and headed west. I slept at truck stops, used the restroom at gas stations, and ate fast food for 3 days.

I lived in Washington and Oregon for 3.5 years before coming back home to Alabama. It was a cool experience and Washington and Oregon weren't as fucked up then as they are, now. There wasn't a whole lot of SJW crap, just a bunch of hippies who stayed out of your business, for the most part.

After leaving the PNW, I moved to central California for 6 months. I stayed with some friends, rent free, so I could get some money for the trip back home. I'd lost my car while in Oregon, so I had to buy a cheap-as-hell car when I was staying in California. I drove that across the country to come back home.

I have no desires to ever go back to either of those states. But I'm happy to have the experiences I gained while living there. I did meet some awesome people, too. And during the drive out there I saw some of the best landscape I've ever laid my eyes on. The Columbia River Gorge is absolutely beautiful in the fall. Coming over the Continental Divide (in Wyoming) was cool, as well. Seeing those mountains in person is WAY better than seeing them in some photograph or movie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live in Nicaragua.
Rum is cheap , the weather is fine.
View Quote

No need for a parler stove?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's different now?

One big concern I have is not having a group of people, should things get weird(er).
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, when I moved here to Wa

Been here 20yrs now and still havent really recovered from the social shock and awe for 2 reasons:

1) the "seattle freeze" of Wa
2) im at a time in my life I fucking hate people

#1 was the problem 20ys ago now lately its been #2. Probably never really feel at home here. Where I came from in Kali I knew the whole area and had history. Here not so much. Moved around a lot as a kid and early adult. Didnt have a problem then making changes. Maybe Im just old
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, when I moved here to Wa

Been here 20yrs now and still havent really recovered from the social shock and awe for 2 reasons:

1) the "seattle freeze" of Wa
2) im at a time in my life I fucking hate people

#1 was the problem 20ys ago now lately its been #2. Probably never really feel at home here. Where I came from in Kali I knew the whole area and had history. Here not so much. Moved around a lot as a kid and early adult. Didnt have a problem then making changes. Maybe Im just old
View Quote

What is the "Seattle freeze"?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
About 10 times.

And by about 10, I mean 1 time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

@dfarm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze#:~:text=From%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20free%20encyclopedia,for%20transplants%20from%20other%20cities.

Id heard of it before I moved up here. One of my relatives moved here in the early 90s and felt shunned, but then again it was peak time of kali transplants. But still, even when I got here it was a thing. Still is. Ive talked to my neighbor on the north maybe a total of 5 times in the last 4yrs since they moved here. My neighbor to the south whos been here since before me maybe a dozen times. Thats it. Ive been in this particular spot for about 12yrs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a job offer from Alaska but that's a whole lot of change for this guy though even if it is the same job basically. I've been thinking about a change and this case out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#26]
More than a few times.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@dfarm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze#:~:text=From%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20free%20encyclopedia,for%20transplants%20from%20other%20cities.

Id heard of it before I moved up here. One of my relatives moved here in the early 90s and felt shunned, but then again it was peak time of kali transplants. But still, even when I got here it was a thing. Still is. Ive talked to my neighbor on the north maybe a total of 5 times in the last 4yrs since they moved here. My neighbor to the south whos been here since before me maybe a dozen times. Thats it. Ive been in this particular spot for about 12yrs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@dfarm

I think the irony of the Seattle Freeze is due to Seattle being lost to the Californians and mid-westerners taking over.

I was born and raised in Seattle but left around 2000.  It was the most friendly city I had ever been to--nkt because I grew up there.

When I would come back to visit post 2001, it changed. The place became distant, boastful, belligerent, and lacked identity.

Why?  Nearly every person I was introduced to in the bars/restaurants were non-natives.  Nearly everyone was a transplant.  I saw the invasion starting in the 80s but 20 years later the city and suburbs were taken over.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]
DT.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I took a job in Maryland after living 31 years in Louisiana.  It was fine. Now I’ve taken a job in Japan. We’ll see how this works out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seattle Freeze
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep.  Lived in Alaska for over 40 years, retired and moved to a very small community in East Tennessee.  If it were up to just me, we would move back to Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes Texas and now Arizona. There is nothing to tell. I didn't/don't know a single person in either state and had no jobs lined up, I was by myself. Just moved and hoped for the best.

I've been in AZ a month.

I moved to TX base on weather, I rented.
I moved to AZ based on population density, land to LR shoot on, freedom from bullshit, weather and land price. I bought a place before I moved here, I have zero debt and cost of living is low enough to live on a fast food job. So I'm not concerned about work. I would never move for a job and never have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
18 years ago, wife and I wanted out of CT rfn, so started looking for a job nationwide, but ended up taking a position
from an old friend in MA, so moved to our current location in NH without any knowledge of the area at all.
I closed on our house before I even saw it in person.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#34]
@junker46, I was doing well but really burned out of my high-stress job. Plan was to move about two hours north and do the same job in a smaller area. Lower cost of living, less stress, but less money. Looked good on paper.
Job didn’t work out because the owner was an asshole at a pretty amazing level. Encouraged backstabbing among the employees, for example. Money was ok.
Should have just moved back home.  Ex argued that a clean break might be good. Wound up doing the same high-stress job here in Lewiston in a company that I was not a good fit in.
You know the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Moved from Hawaii to Texas a few years ago. Spent a few weeks vacationing in the area I moved to beforehand. Bought a house through an agent over the internet. Sold a lot of things and packed the rest and showed up at my new house and moved in. Spent a little time working on the house and property. Went through a few jobs before I found the one I have now. Pay is less but job is better, paying off house, not paying rent and can do as I please. Added a dog to my life, much happier for less pay. Started going back to church, after a few tries at different  communion's and found community through a local congregation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]
First non-military job out of college I ended up in South Louisiana about thirty miles west of New Orleans. St. John Parrish where folks spoke Cajun French better than English. No family and everything I owned I packed in my car. Lived there and in The GNO area for six and a half years before moving to Dallas where I had a step-sister. I haven't been back to the GNO area in thirty years.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
We escaped the people's republic of Kalifornia with no employment lined up at the time. Instead, we left our fate completely in God's hands.  I'm happy to say my family and I have been blessed ever since.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, I have done it once for grad school and once for work.

Would do it again and recommend.  I learned a lot that I wouldn't have otherwise and met great people.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Yup.

My family and I moved from Florida to Colorado 20 years ago.  Never vacationed here, but we did vacation in Wyoming a few times.  We were originally going to move to  Wyoming, but at the time, there just wasn't any work there.

Pulled up stakes and moved 2000 miles away with no plans, no house and no jobs waiting for us.

We actually camped in the Poudre Canyon for over a month before we found decent rental property.  Took another couple of months to find jobs for some of us and for me and my dad to find a shop and start another company.

Camping for over a month was not all that bad.  Set up a shower/bathroom in a small pull behind trailer and had a decent sized tent.  We had to move everything a few times as you could only camp in one spot for 15 days.  

I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Twice, both times involved a job change, first time from NY to CA, second time was CA to AZ.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I moved 1500 miles from home at age 21.  Knew no one, did not have a job.  Been here 40 years, married, four kids, six grandkids, doctorate degree, etc.  It was not easy, and may not be for everyone, but it worked for me.

I still visit the family in the frozen north, but will not be moving back.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top