Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only driven one 2wd truck that I thought had good traction in the rear. It had a Detroit TrueTrac.

My current F150 is horrible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its because they are light as hell now compared to a couple decades ago
View Quote

This has a lot to do with it.

My '62 Dodge was halfway decent in the snow.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
When I see someone asking questions about a 2wd pickup, my first thought is "Oh, look...another person who went cheap on the wrong thing"

Right up there with that guy who buys a loaded PC...with only 2gb of ram, because it's cheaper

Right up there with the guy who buys a Del-Ton AR...because it's cheaper

Right up there with the guy who buys a Taurus...because it's cheaper
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot to be said about drivers skill, but there's a lot more to it than that. Knowing how to drive a 2wd in snow or mud doesn't help at all if you literally can't go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All you have to do is turn off the traction control
View Quote

Bingo!   Traction control and anti lock brakes are the two dumbest things ever put on automobiles.  One of the best vehicles I ever owned for snow and ice was a 1974 AMC Hornet with a positraction rear end.  That thing was a beast in the snow.  

As a rule 2WD pickup trucks do not do well in snow unless you add some weight to the bed of the truck.  Traction control cancels that out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Or have I just forgot how horrible the traction has always been. DD has 360 Horsepower and 380 Torque can tow 10,000 pounds, is 2wd and gets stuck if a wet piece of grass is within a 90 miles radius. It's fucking unbelievable, even with 1500 pounds in the bed the traction doesn't get much better. I do keep a 4x4 jeep in the driveway incase it might snow half a inch or something crazy.
View Quote

It depends.  I had a 2008 Chevy Colorado with two wheel drive that seemed to be almost unstick-able due to it's excellent traction control.

As a standard, it would easily pull my 6000 pound boat and trailer up the same ramp that I had to put my 2004 Chevy 1500 Z71 into 4 wheel drive to get up.

I have the  same problem with my current 2016 Ram 4x4.  It's excellent in 4wd lock.  But, 2wd is nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Tires are everything. Limited slip diff is second. 4x4 after that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I see someone asking questions about a 2wd pickup, my first thought is "Oh, look...another person who went cheap on the wrong thing"

Right up there with that guy who buys a loaded PC...with only 2gb of ram, because it's cheaper

View Quote

The ones that blow my mind are the guys that buy diesel 2wd trucks.

Unless you are expecting to only ever drive on dry pavement, they are just begging to get stuck. An extremely front-heavy vehicle, with stiff rear springs and tires, and no weight in the rear is a recipe for going nowhere in 2wd when it's slick.

It's even more mind boggling because you're already buying a $60k+ truck when you get a 3/4 ton diesel these days, and you're only saving a few grand by not going with 4x4.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

While personally I would never own a 2WD truck, not everyone needs 4WD. If you live in a town or city and just use a truck to haul gardening stuff or antiques on the weekends there is no advantage to spending the extra money, having the extra weight, less fuel economy and more complexity of a 4WD truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve read all these posts and am shocked nobody’s mentioned tires. My 03 2wd tundra on LTX tires would spin if my fields had light dew. Put a set of K02’s and it’s a whole different truck. Gets much worse mileage on the highway but since it spends 90% of its life on my property, traction matters more.  I’ve gotten it stuck 2-3 times.  I mean STUCK but it took rain soaked hills combined with slow speed to do it.  Odds are good even 4WD would’ve gotten stuck in one of those cases.  Now in fairness my truck has the factory limited slip but still,  tires make ALL the difference.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You would be amazed what a set of snow tires or snow rated ATs would do for traction.

I would never have another 2wd truck again though.
View Quote

Chevy van here.  Locking diff and snows works well enough to get stuck going into spots I should have known better.  Before snow tires I was getting stuck in the plow windrow at the end of the driveway.

If 4wd is a factory option I will pay for it on future vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Open diffs are the devil. My 2wd truck gets stuck on wet grass. My 4x4 with the rear locker does quite well in 2wd, because it's actually 2wd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
2wd, decent tires, and a locker will get you 90% of where you need to go.

Don't be scared to build some wheel speed and a decent head of steam through the thicker spots.

4wd always seemed to just get me more stuck in my daily. Got an ol squarebody 4wd if I really want to get off in the mud.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I understand (mostly) the science behind it now, but my F-150 also doesn't handle anything slick well in 2wd with the traction control ON. Off, no problem. There's a curve near my house that's always slick with leaves or rain or something. TC on equals slippage. Off, keep on trucking at whatever speed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe in MN with a lot of offroading, but not a lot of other places, as I said all I have owned are 2wd trucks in 34 years of driving, it just depends on the person and their needs. I haven't needed a 4wd even driving in WI from '88-'04. For me needing 4wd once or twice a year didn't justify the cost of buying and owning a 4wd.
Hauling stuff on paved/dirt/gravel roads is all I did. I have done quite a bit of mild offroad stuff so I know what I can get away with having a 2wd.

With that said I finally bought my first 4wd SUV when I decided to move to AZ because I have a legit need for it to get to my shooting places on rocky terrain also the road to my house and my driveway are pretty bad.
When I was pulling a Uhaul trailer a few weeks ago I got caught in a snow storm, thankfully I had 4wd because I needed it to climb off ramps in the snow, even with 3k lbs on the rear axle and KO2s the rears spun. I'd have been fucked with my 2wd pickup.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Real answer on page 3, as I’m not checking the rest of the thread:

Weight distribution and tires.

Longer hoods of older vehicles, sheet steel, heavier general vehicles meant more rear weight. Plus people used to keep weight in their beds more often.

Modern street tires are a harder rubber compound. Longer lasting, better in the rain. But not nearly as good in any other situation.

Also open diffs vs a locker of any type.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bingo!   Traction control and anti lock brakes are the two dumbest things ever put on automobiles.  One of the best vehicles I ever owned for snow and ice was a 1974 AMC Hornet with a positraction rear end.  That thing was a beast in the snow.  

As a rule 2WD pickup trucks do not do well in snow unless you add some weight to the bed of the truck.  Traction control cancels that out.
View Quote

What about the magic of A-TRAC that the Toyota boys brag about?

I had two cars with limited slip when I lived in WI, they both kind of sucked in the snow('74 Cutlass Supreme and '75 Monte Carlo). Yes having both wheels spin was nice, but that's all they did so then you just slid sideways. While fun, it got to be a pain in the ass for everyday driving.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Even with 4wd I only turn it on if absolutely necessary.   So far in my 16 F150 i have never turned on the 4wd other than to cycle it once in a while. The thing is a beast in 2wd. I do however have Wildpeaks on it.

My previous Silverado had Wildpeaks as well and had no issues in a Bilzzard in 2wd.

Driving in 2wd is a skill. Momentum, accelerator regulation, picking good lines.  You just don't mash the gas. I enjoy the challenge, and if ever I need 4wd at least it is there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure why they even make 2wd trucks.  You pay about $2k for the option and get about $5k back when you sell it, maybe more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember our 1977 4WD F250 we used for hay back in the 80s would get stuck in a dry hay field on a slightest incline unless it had weight in the bed or in 4WD.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you have to do is turn off the traction control

Traction control and ABS keep people alive and do a better job at it than any driver the overwhelming majority of the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
When I ordered my 2wd F-2509 many years ago I ordered a limited slip diff. Most 2wd trucks are only 1wd
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Front wheel drive SUV/CUVs are just about the worst for getting around in snow. We had a front wheel drive Ford Explorer get stuck in a parking lot with 3-4 inches of snow on the ground. Pretty sure an older Explorer with just RWD could do better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My 2009 Taco is 2WD.  My rationale for buying it at the time was getting the better made 4cyl engine and not having the extra maintenance on a part time 4wd's transfer case and having to engage it every month to keep it functional.

The "Auto LSD" rear individual brake application helps a lot when losing traction, as long as at least one rear tire has grip.  It's still capable of getting stuck in heavy mud though, so I don't use the truck for that.

That said, if and when I replace my truck, I plan to get a 4wd version next time, as long as I can get the 4cyl engine with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
The typical 1979 half ton had probably a 3.08 rear gear and a 2.5:1 first gear With around 250-300 ft pounds of torque.

The small 2.7 engine F150 could have a 3.55 or 3.73 with an 4.69:1 first gear and 400 ft pounds of torque.

Traction isn't a major difference the ability to put massive amount of power down is the difference.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Even with 4wd I only turn it on if absolutely necessary.   So far in my 16 F150 i have never turned on the 4wd other than to cycle it once in a while. The thing is a beast in 2wd. I do however have Wildpeaks on it.

My previous Silverado had Wildpeaks as well and had no issues in a Bilzzard in 2wd.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/20190224_161141-1138931.jpg

Driving in 2wd is a skill. Momentum, accelerator regulation, picking good lines.  You just don't mash the gas. I enjoy the challenge, and if ever I need 4wd at least it is there.
View Quote

This . I rarely use 4wd in my truck. With all the traction control gizmos I rarely use it. I did live in Alaska for a long time tho you really learn how to drive in shit conditions
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]
What do your tire look like and what psi are you running?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#29]
My 05' F250 weights around 7,500lbs...and has a 60/40 front to rear weight split.  so I've got an extra 1,500lbs of weight on the front tires.  That, and the fact that it's got an open diff (has a limited slip but the clutches must be worn out), and it's a worthless in wet grass, or anything slick unless I have it in 4x4.  It will just start spinning one rear tire as soon as I let off of the brake.  

My Dodge Ram 1500 wasn't much better...it also had an open rear diff.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not sure why they even make 2wd trucks.  You pay about $2k for the option and get about $5k back when you sell it, maybe more.
View Quote

Always buy 4wd.

I don't see a good reason not to.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Sell it to some other schmuck and get yourself a 4x4 pickup.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

While personally I would never own a 2WD truck, not everyone needs 4WD. If you live in a town or city and just use a truck to haul gardening stuff or antiques on the weekends there is no advantage to spending the extra money, having the extra weight, less fuel economy and more complexity of a 4WD truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that extra 200lbs and 1mpg less than a 4wd.

Dang you 4wd!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Open diffs are the devil. My 2wd truck gets stuck on wet grass. My 4x4 with the rear locker does quite well in 2wd, because it's actually 2wd.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Its because they are light as hell now compared to a couple decades ago
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Limited slip is your friend. Put a tru-trac in it.

Click here
View Quote
I need to do this in my F250 plow truck.  It has a factory limited slip that has become a factory encouraged slip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#36]

What do you want to know about Kia?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They have skid plates or did in 2015.  Mine came with e-lock but not for sure it was FX4.  Shocks I’m not sure about.  It was not something i sought out really.  Just happened to be on the one i wanted otherwise.
View Quote

You had Ford 4x4 pickup with a factory e-locker?  Which model?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You drive around with the rear differential locked as a matter of normal driving?

What kind of truck is it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Two wheel drive trucks are for women.
View Quote

After seeing what my mail lady did to her little mail truck I am going to have to say NO.

Poor truck never stood a chance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Well they’ve gotten longer and heavier.

Longer means the heavy end is further from the drive end, and heavier means they sink more in the soft stuff.

Then again a truck tire back in the day at least had some decent tread where now unless you go all terrains there isn’t much in between.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wonder if throttle by wire is causing problems? You don't seem to have the subtle throttle control needed to get moving without spinning a tire from a sticky situation.
View Quote

There are aftermarket "pedal controllers" that can alter the throttle response for various driving conditions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/20190224_161141-1138931.jpg

View Quote

It's flat and you don't get deep wet snow. A 2wd in the Sierra's gets you exactly nowhere unless you chain and wait for plows.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truck was a deal I couldn't refuse, although it's 2wd that thing can tow or haul anything I would ever need. We have a 4wd jeep I take if the roads are shit or we are heading to our camping/fishing spot.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top