[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you have to do is turn off the traction control
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
A few people have mentioned traction control.  It works pretty well if you're careless with the throttle on ice,  but in mud you have to spin to clear the tread out.  A mud packed wheel, slowly rotating is like a slippery jug on a pottery wheel.

I pull the ABS pump fuse during the winter and spring months in the feed truck. It lights up warnings,  but you're nearly helpless with it active.

It should be an option you can activate if you want, not something you can't deactivate at all on a lot of models.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting thread
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A few people have mentioned traction control.  It works pretty well if you're careless with the throttle on ice,  but in mud you have to spin to clear the tread out.  A mud packed wheel, slowly rotating is like a slippery jug on a pottery wheel.

I pull the ABS pump fuse during the winter and spring months in the feed truck. It lights up warnings,  but you're nearly helpless with it active.

It should be an option you can activate if you want, not something you can't deactivate at all on a lot of models.
View Quote

I’ve been doing this for years.
Tip for those who want to try: remove the fuse labeled “ABS PUMP” not the fuse labeled “ABS SENSOR”.  The sensor is used for other things as well, like adaptive steering force.

Disclaimer: Do not do this ever.  It could be illegal, dangerous, or both.  This post was written by a professional on a closed course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
My F-150 seems a hell of a lot better in 2WD than trucks were back in the 1980s/90s.

Good enough that I almost never have to turn on 4WD...  On those old trucks, it didn't take much before you had too.

YMMV and all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Weight in the bed was common back in the day with 2wd trucks.  Guy I know has a stack of cast iron storm drain grates that he bolts down in November and removes in March.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I must have awesome tires on my T100 because I never have problems losing traction!

For sale in the EE!

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had a Chevy 2wd with a 305 that with a few sand bags in the bed and decent tires would get me around fine in lousy upstate NY winters.
View Quote

I had an old chevy 2wd 6 cylinder 3 in the tree beater that did the same. Mountains of PA.

I had a friend that  purchased only 2 wheel drive trucks and owned a farm that he worked. He said he never felt the need for 4 wd . He just carried a set of chains for the really bad days.

He never called us to pull him out so I guess he did just fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Or have I just forgot how horrible the traction has always been. DD has 360 Horsepower and 380 Torque can tow 10,000 pounds, is 2wd and gets stuck if a wet piece of grass is within a 90 miles radius. It's fucking unbelievable, even with 1500 pounds in the bed the traction doesn't get much better. I do keep a 4x4 jeep in the driveway incase it might snow half a inch or something crazy.
View Quote

Something is wrong with your truck or you are running slicks or shit tires. OR you can't drive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its because they are light as hell now compared to a couple decades ago
View Quote

This plus more HP and torque.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
If your 2 wheel drive truck does not have posi traction or something similar it's really only a one wheel drive truck
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That and they also had a lower center of gravity with the 15" wheels. Just look at how high off the ground a bed/tailgate is now. Hell, a average height man could just reach over the side of the bed and get something. You almost need a stepstool now.

My old Dodge was a whole lot more practical size wise than the F150 I have today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/001__2__jpg-1786105.JPG
View Quote

Nice of you to give that deer a ride to the vet. He looks a little under the weather.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That and they also had a lower center of gravity with the 15" wheels. Just look at how high off the ground a bed/tailgate is now. Hell, a average height man could just reach over the side of the bed and get something. You almost need a stepstool now.

My old Dodge was a whole lot more practical size wise than the F150 I have today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/001__2__jpg-1786105.JPG
View Quote

Larger wheels and tires have a higher weight capacity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Good for digging holes....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#16]
What kind of power band do you get in that truck?  Some of these modern engines are more for driving on the freeway than for work/towing. Multi-valves, 3.31 or 3.55 gear ratio differential etc.  They put most of the torque and HP up in the higher RPMs  =  lots of wheel spinning if you step on the gas.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I got a smoking deal on a mint 2005 chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas 2wd. It has the G80 rear locker and brand new michelin ltx tires. I've been wondering how it'll do. Does fine getting my 3,500 lb boat out of the water on a wet slick ramp but I keep thinking I should keep my 94 chevy 4x4 with mud tires.  Never been without a 4x4 truck.  We also get an occasional 6-12" snow storms but wife has a Lexus GX460 4x4. Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or have I just forgot how horrible the traction has always been. DD has 360 Horsepower and 380 Torque can tow 10,000 pounds, is 2wd and gets stuck if a wet piece of grass is within a 90 miles radius. It's fucking unbelievable, even with 1500 pounds in the bed the traction doesn't get much better. I do keep a 4x4 jeep in the driveway incase it might snow half a inch or something crazy.
View Quote

It's always been bad. My first truck was a '74 F-100. It sucked at any kind of traction. A/T and M/T tires gave a marginal improvement. Weight in the bed gave another marginal improvement. Get a locker in the rear diff and you're better off than most.
Nothing that we played with 30 years ago compares to modern 4wd and traction control systems today. HP doesn't matter much when the wheels are spinning - especially when the wrong wheels are spinning.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Talk to someone about putting a positrack type locking  rear differential in it .   2 wheel drive trucks with no locking diferential spin which ever wheel spins the easies so moist grass and your done they have always needed a tow strap.
Youtube
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Engines and transmissions put a lot of torque right away to the tires now.
Old days it would slip allowing better traction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#21]
2wd truck is like having a woman without the loving
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Today's trucks are 10-15% heavier than their similarly configured counterparts from the mid-90s.
View Quote

What about weight to HP ratio?

@Bassgasm
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the traction radius if swampgrass is nearby?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good tires weight in the bed and a light foot on the throttle sometimes works for snow. Mud is another story add hills and you're screwed
View Quote
Yep.

I remember my dad had a Chevy W/T1500. Had mud tires on the back which helped a lot. The big thing was if you knew you were going through some nasty shit you better keep your momentum up and just plow through it as quickly as you can.

My mom has a 2wd F150 2.7ecoboost and she has horrible problems with traction in it. Turbos making lots of low end torque with an empty bed and questionable tires are not a good combination in a 2wd vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My FX4 gets pretty good all around traction in 2wd. What tires do you have?
View Quote

Other than the "FX4" sticker, what offroad features does it have?

I expected they would have a rear e-locker, skid plates and at least better shocks.  Nope.  Its a sticker.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Many truck tires are about 6" wider than they were 20+ years ago.

Wide is good for play, not for work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its because they are light as hell now compared to a couple decades ago
View Quote

Have you actually seen the empty weight of trucks.

1954 F-100 with 223 six cyl, 3 speed, curb weight 3240 lbs with fuel.

2020 XL 4x2 Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. box 122 in. WB 4069 lbs. (1845 kg)

1999 Work Series 4x2 Regular Cab Styleside 119.9 in. WB    3923 lbs. (1779 kg)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Tires.
(Buy some good ones)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lol.no, I've been off roading for 25 years. I've navigated a rough trail or two. You can add 1500 pounds to the bed and I guarentee I could get further in a 2020 front wheel drive Ford Focus.
View Quote

I know of a hunting spot out in WY that I'd like to see that Focus visit. Without damage.

My 2wd truck did it just fine. Ran into a guy out there running around in his UTV, he flagged me down to ask me how I got my truck there. He couldn't believe a truck made it, let alone a 2wd one. He thought I drove in some other way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I got my truck stuck down by my creek last year when the 4wd actuator decided to quit working. Truck simply would not go up the grass hill, no matter what I tried. Wasn't even wet outside, tires still slipped on the grass. Luckily my neighbor was having his place logged and logger dude pulled me up with his truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Two wheel drive trucks have always sucked. The best you can do if you're going to keep it is get a good set of tires designed to give you better traction in the conditions that you're having trouble getting enough traction. Most 4WD trucks aren't even 4WD. I've got a true 4WD truck and it will go anywhere it's not so muddy that it sinks or so steep that it will roll over. I highly recommend getting one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Large pickups put in 2wd have a hard time pushing the weight of the engine and front-end. I had a 5.9 turbodiesel that had the same issue you describe..

However, the modern 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder pickups do pretty well since there isn't such a huge weight imbalance. I've climbed hills with half a foot of snow with 4 cylinder pickups. They just need good tires and weight in the box.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Even base model pickups have more power than we dreamed of in most instances back in the 60s and 70s.  Add some weight to the back and use good tires and even 2wd will do some amazing things.  It's the poor workman who blames his tools.
View Quote

Even minivans have 300hp these days.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#34]
My 06 Silverado with 4.8 does ok.
I run AT tires on it. The plus side is it has a locker/posi rear.
I also watch where I drive and having several years of jeep, fj40 trail riding under my belt has kept me from busting out shovels and farm Jack's.

Unless there's oil on the road..it won't even smoke a tire ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#35]
That is why I bought a 4x4, the last two wheel drive truck I had could get stuck on a wet paper towel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Vehicles are getting lighter, need to add more weight in the back
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Vehicles are getting lighter, need to add more weight in the back
View Quote

Its a GMC Sierra 2500. It already weighs about 6k. Adding more weight to the back doesnt help much.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#38]
A lot more torque and horsepower in the new trucks. Tires spin faster quicker. I rarely have to put my older trucks in 4x4. Any new ones I drive, I find I’m in 4x4 in basic off-road or weather conditions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#39]
3 of my work trucks are 2wd.

They work just fine, even in winter. None of us have a problem with them.
And here, we experience our fair share of snow and ice.

Still no problem.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I got a smoking deal on a mint 2005 chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas 2wd. It has the G80 rear locker and brand new michelin ltx tires. I've been wondering how it'll do. Does fine getting my 3,500 lb boat out of the water on a wet slick ramp but I keep thinking I should keep my 94 chevy 4x4 with mud tires.  Never been without a 4x4 truck.  We also get an occasional 6-12" snow storms but wife has a Lexus GX460 4x4. Decisions, decisions.
View Quote

The G80 is frequently called the "Gov bomb."

Watch a few YouTube videos on how it works so you understand it and don't blow it up by engaging it at high wheel RPM.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Limited slip is your friend. Put a tru-trac in it.

Click here
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Wheel bases are much longer now thank to the super/quad/mega cabs.  The father that wheels are moved back, the worse the traction is.  

My F250 will get stuck in wet grass if I don't have it in 4x4.....piptiful.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A lot more torque and horsepower in the new trucks. Tires spin faster quicker. I rarely have to put my older trucks in 4x4. Any new ones I drive, I find I’m in 4x4 in basic off-road or weather conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a GMC Sierra 2500. It already weighs about 6k. Adding more weight to the back doesnt help much.

This has to be a Michigan thing...

You boys do know there's this neat thing called a shift lever, that you can select a gear higher than 1st...right?

I grew up with lake effect blizzards. Drove trucks and Cadillacs exclusively ever since I obtained a driver's license. I only ever used 4 wheel drive to get out of the driveway if I was running late and didn't plow the snow bank out that the town truck left behind. Or. If some daffy broad in a Subaru or minivan, never failed, always a Subaru or a minivan, creeping up a hill spun and locked up the brakes.

I never had a problem driving in snow. I can count on 1 hand the times I've used 4 wheel drive and actually needed it...
Trucks that had a manual transmission were-0

Throw it in 2nd/3rd and ride the brakes a little to keep from breaking traction when taking off.

The best tires in the world, weight in the bed, and a locking rear diff still won't help non drivers...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Other than the "FX4" sticker, what offroad features does it have?

I expected they would have a rear e-locker, skid plates and at least better shocks.  Nope.  Its a sticker.
View Quote

They have skid plates or did in 2015.  Mine came with e-lock but not for sure it was FX4.  Shocks I’m not sure about.  It was not something i sought out really.  Just happened to be on the one i wanted otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Back when they were the only option, people knew how to drive them.
View Quote

And had snow tires, tire studs and / or tire chains.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#47]
The tires that come with any vehicle from the dealership these days are chosen for how quiet and comfy they ride combined with how cheap the vehicle manufacturer can get them. Replace them with decent tires and it will go a long ways towards improving your traction.

Also, I generally find a limited slip more useful in day-to-day driving than a locker. Lockers are either engaged or not. If it's an electric/air locker, you have to anticipate the loss of traction by engaging it, and it doesn't allow for any slip, and sometimes you want some slip.

The best diff is the AAM TracRite GTL, it's an electric locker that is a helical LSD when unlocked. Best of both worlds. Only available from the factory in Dodge Power Wagons (though it can be adapted to other Dodges, it's extremely expensive).
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Probably but not because auto makers are intentionally making them that way but more likely a result of lighter materials being used to increase fuel economy  and that means less weight over the rear wheels reducing traction. Ford moving to an aluminum bed is a great example of this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wheel bases are much longer now thank to the super/quad/mega cabs.  The father that wheels are moved back, the worse the traction is.  

My F250 will get stuck in wet grass if I don't have it in 4x4.....piptiful.
View Quote

Actually, no.

That's more of a, newer trucks come standard with wide low profile tires compared to 20+ years ago.

I'd often get complaints from guys with ccsb superduties about how awful their trucks performed.
9 times out of 10 the truck was a Boomer leather express. Lariat, King Ranch, Cabelas, Amarillo, Harley Davidson.
Factory 20s.

20+ years ago? When 16s and 17s came standard? Or go back even further?
Trucks had tall skinny bastards. Look at an original 70s Camper special/hi-boy.
Tall skinny tires dig. Short fat bastards spin.

It's why the pavement princess brodozers down here rarely see mud. Any truck on 20x12-22x14 wheels with 40-60 series sidewalls regardless the tire being 295s-315s, They'll sit and spin on grass, dry or wet. And if they dare enter a beach, there'd better be a well worn packed path for them to track, otherwise... rooster tail and buried up to the rockers.

It's why the cityiots who had weekend/summer homes in upstate NY couldn't get out of their own driveways with AWD bmw Mercedes jaguar range Rover escalades navigators etc.
Short sidewall. Wide contact patch. No gription. Those fuckers wrecked alot too. You'd see them headed north bound on the Taconic state Parkway in the median, down an embankment, wrapped in a tree with a few inches on the road.
And out where I lived they'd slide backwards down a mountain. Wind up in a field or swamp. Understeer and plow right through a corner and off into the woods/field/swamp.

Big wide tires float.
Tall skinny tires dig.

It's also why duallys absolutely suck in the snow, and why alot of farmers removed the outer rears and cruised on the inners when the snow started to fly.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I have owned 4 trucks, all of them 2wd because I didn't need 4wd(living in WI). I never had much trouble but I knew my limitations. I can't compare old to new as my newest is a '99 which I still drive.
I had a '78(if I recall) Chevy 3/4 ton, it had a 4spd manual with a super low 1st gear, more than once in the winter I got stuck in simple flat parking lot where slush turned to ice. I would put it in first gear, get out while the tires were spinning and push lol. Idling in 1st gear it would only go about 3mph so it wasn't going to get away from me.

My rwd cars were always better than my trucks in the snow.

I wonder if throttle by wire is causing problems? You don't seem to have the subtle throttle control needed to get moving without spinning a tire from a sticky situation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top